Patient Comments: Heart attack - Symptoms

The symptoms of heart attack can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

A Doctor's View on 12 Heart Attack Symptoms and Early Warning Signs

Read the Comment by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

Recognizing heart attack symptoms and signs can help save your life or that of someone you love. Some heart attack symptoms, including left arm pain and chest pain, are well known but other, more nonspecific symptoms may be associated with a heart attack. Nausea, vomiting, malaise, indigestion, sweating, shortness of breath, and fatigue may signal a heart attack. Heart attack symptoms and signs in women may differ from those in men. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: StillShocked, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I had a heart attack last week. I am a 55 year young woman. I was awakened early in the morning with an extremely (so I thought) bad, painful case of indigestion. After no relief from antacids, I did consider calling 911, but delayed, afraid that it was, in fact, only gas, and I would be laughed out of the emergency room. I did finally call, when I started sweating profusely, and had to vomit. My point is, call for help, even if you"re not certain, please! I ended up having angioplasty with a 95% blockage.

Published: July 15

I am a 58-year-old female who had a heart attack three weeks ago. The symptoms had been there for about a month: brief periods of a burning pain in my chest, and pain in my jaw, face, shoulder, back and arm, all on the right side. I awoke in the night with the pain and this time it wouldn't ease up. I took aspirins and started vomiting. I went to the emergency room and it was determined that I was having a heart attack. Three stents were placed in my heart. I've been home for almost three weeks and doing a total lifestyle change. I am not overweight and I have low blood pressure, and the pain was on my right side instead of the left. It's best to get all pain diagnosed instead of waiting like I did. A heart attack can hit women in many different ways.

Comment from: K.V.Kannabhiran, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

MY husband got heart attack, he had shortness of breath. Doctors said that 3 valves were blocked and they put a stent. Even then he did not recover for one month. Then they did CABG surgery in the month of May. Till know he has not recovered properly and he is having a swelling in his legs because heart pumping is less.

Comment from: Tom, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 02

I started having heart palpitations in 2013. I had them in the past but they would go away after a week or so. But it continued to get worse. I kept calling my cardiologist and she said to just go to the emergency room. She would never do any blood work on me, and my primary care had to issue me tests to force her to take tests as to why I was having palpitations. Remember this, if you are having problems and your doctor isn't listening to you, seek another opinion.

Comment from: JTB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

My heart attack symptom is jaw pain, usually have palpitations in throat, but this is just jaw ache.

Comment from: Tia, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 14

I only know that the patient had respiratory problems and some blood circulation issues. Next, I learn that the patient is in ICU with a heart attack and will stay for second 24 hours under anticoagulant treatment. I think that the patient drinks heavily; suspect some drug use but not sure if this is true. He had history of asthma when he was a child.

Comment from: Mark, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I"m a 43 year old male who recently suffered a heart attack after some physical exertion. I had been a smoker from my teenage years but, maintained an otherwise healthy lifestyle. I had no early indicators of heart problems. My mother and father are well. Cholesterol was slightly elevated a year prior to the event but not significant. My blood pressure actually runs on the low side of normal 88/58 yet upon the emergency PCI (percutaneous coronary intervention) it was found that my right coronary artery was 100% blocked which caused the heart attack. My LAD (left anterior descending) artery had 4 blockages estimated at 90%, 80%, and two at 40-50%. Subsequently, I ended up with 4 stents. I have been well since stenting but am now dealing with some of the side effects of the medications like muscle pain and lethargy. A follow up stress test and blood work is scheduled and I"m anxious to see the results. Given my otherwise healthy lifestyle I believe all of this is a result of smoking!

Heart Attack - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your heart attack?
Heart Attack - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of a heart attack. What tests and exams did you have?