Patient Comments: Heart attack - Symptoms

The symptoms of heart attack can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Judy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

Before the heart attack, I had high blood pressure and pressure in the heart area for 2 days.

Comment from: clover, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I experience pain in my chest, it gets really tight, then lets up, then gets really tight again, and this lasts for about 2 to 3 minutes. I experienced this again last night and now today my left arm hurts, it feels like a burning sensation going down my shoulder and arm. I am worried this could be symptom of heart attack.

Comment from: K.V.Kannabhiran, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

MY husband got heart attack, he had shortness of breath. Doctors said that 3 valves were blocked and they put a stent. Even then he did not recover for one month. Then they did CABG surgery in the month of May. Till know he has not recovered properly and he is having a swelling in his legs because heart pumping is less.

Comment from: Tom, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 02

I started having heart palpitations in 2013. I had them in the past but they would go away after a week or so. But it continued to get worse. I kept calling my cardiologist and she said to just go to the emergency room. She would never do any blood work on me, and my primary care had to issue me tests to force her to take tests as to why I was having palpitations. Remember this, if you are having problems and your doctor isn't listening to you, seek another opinion.

Comment from: Tom, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 02

My father died of a heart attack in 1982. He knew he was having a heart attack and went to his primary care doctor. His doctor told him it was only anxiety and to go home. Well, two hours later my father ended up in the emergency room (ER) and died. I'm not saying he would have survived if the doctor would have listened to him, his heart was bad, but maybe he would not have ended up in the ER dead.

Comment from: donmejm, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 04

I had my MI (myocardial infarction) after cutting and dumping wood. I experienced intense pressure in the center of my chest and was extremely short of breath. Also, experienced onset of heavy sweats. I was with a son who had me in emergency room (ER) in 15 minutes where the ER crew immediately diagnosed MI and administered emergency treatment. I was transported to cardiac unit in nearby medical center and had two stents placed. Another stent was placed in a 95% blockage 6 weeks later. I went through cardio rehabilitation for 5 weeks and felt great. Problem now is a consistent fading of energy every 3 to 4 days and the 'downer' lasts for a day to a day and a half, consistently week after week. Weakness may occur during the day on any day and then fade away. I wonder why this seemingly regular weakness is settling in as a way of life now.

Comment from: mezzoola, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I am a 48 year old female. In December of 2012 I experienced squeezing in my chest and left arm on two occasions the same day. These symptoms happened after a stressful event, not physical exertion. The first attack happened while I was relaxing with a friend eating lunch. I went to the emergency room (ER), they tested blood enzymes and they were slightly elevated. They told me those numbers could be my “normal” and dismissed my symptoms as gastric and sent me home. A week later I had a similar episode of what I now know to be angina, while going for a walk. I let it pass and didn"t do anything more until April, yes April! I was growing more and more uneasy and believe I was having such mild angina, 3 to 4 times a day but it was so mild as to be almost imperceptible. On April 7th, yes, 4 months later, I went for a purposeful walk to see if I could induce an angina attack, still not knowing what that was! I was able to do so although the symptoms were still milder than what I had experienced after a very stressful time in December. I went to the ER again. All tests were normal except the slightly elevated heart enzymes again. They still didn"t believe anything was wrong with me being female and low risk although my dad had double bypass at 59. I am ex-smoker, blood pressure normal-high but my cholesterol profile was better than normal. I"m thin, fit, eat well and they just didn"t believe it. They did an angiogram only because they had exhausted everything, every other test, because I was still having mild symptoms. They did not expect to find anything. I was not surprised in the least when they found a 95% blockage of my LAD (left anterior descending artery); yes, I was a walking time bomb. I did not have a heart attack, nor damage to my heart so I am very lucky; I have one stent. All of the medical experts looked at me in disbelief. So, a year out I am doing very well but am extremely paranoid and anxious about mild symptoms. I find exercise to be the best tonic. It"s hard to find the balance between listening to your body and paranoia but I"m working on it every day. Don"t ignore mild symptoms.

Heart Attack - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your heart attack?
Heart Attack - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of a heart attack. What tests and exams did you have?