Patient Comments: Heart Attack - Treatments

What was the treatment for your heart attack?

Comment from: Noel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I suffered a heart attack, I had no pain, only heaviness in chest. I had bypass surgery, I still suffer with breathing and leg swelling; the heart muscle is partly damaged.

Comment from: Ignored, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I received no treatment for my heart attack. I was 25 and woke abruptly at 6am, couldn't breathe and it felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest. Pain down my left arm and very severe chest pain. I lived alone and didn't want to bother anyone, so tried to ignore it. I struggled to breathe for the next 3 days, until I finally called a friend to take me to hospital. Then I waited all day for him to finish work. Finally got to emergency, 2 young doctors asked me what was wrong, I told them, and they said I could go home. That was it, no tests. 8 years on I have severe edema with daily chest pain and constant palpitations and irregular heartbeat. I recently went for a beach walk and almost had to be rushed to hospital. I can't have any kind of life.

Comment from: Marky Mark, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 29

I was 29 when I had my heart attack. Yes, you read that right, 29. Well, almost 30, I had my heart attack about a month before my 30th birthday. When it happened, I was digging a post hole. I noticed it seemed as if I got tired a lot sooner than usual, and I had a slightly annoying pain in the center of my chest. I had had chest pains before, but they always went away within a few minutes. Well, this one didn't. I waited several hours before finally going to the emergency room. The initial EKG showed no problems, but the enzyme test proved otherwise. I was driven by ambulance to a heart hospital where they told me I had indeed suffered a heart attack at the young age of 29. A stent was placed, and after two days, I was released. Needless to say, I have implemented several lifestyle changes, including more exercise, better eating habits, including almost totally renouncing any sort of fast food, and of course, quitting smoking. I have read numerous articles and books on how to be "heart attack proof," but they all tell me to quit eating the very foods that make me look forward to mealtimes. Pretty much, they told me no meat, oils, poultry, or dairy products. Humans have lived for thousands of years eating meats and eggs and whatever else. What's killing us is all the artificial and chemically-altered food additives the government likes to approve for our consumption.

Comment from: Gina, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I just couldn"t breathe. Not like short of breath; more like not being able to get the air all the way down. I was weak and sick at my stomach. I was swollen in feet, legs, face, and stomach. I became so hot I felt like taking off all my clothes. Just that feeling that I knew something was wrong but didn"t know what. I went to the doctor and he told me to rest and keep my feet propped up. By this time I could not wear any shoes. I went back to the doctor a few days later and I told him I was suffering. He did an EKG and from there I was sent to the emergency room. Heart attack; I never did get the terrible pain in my chest and arm I had always heard about. I was in the hospital for 7 days. That was 6 months ago and I still don"t feel well most of the time.

Comment from: Joe, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: November 02

My non-smoker wife of 54 years, age 76, died from a heart attack on Oct. 18, 2012. Her symptoms included no chest pain, but she had shortness of breath, cold sweats and difficulty standing. Her cholesterol was low (about 150), but her triglycerides were high and she had controlled diabetes. No record of heart trouble. Paramedics had her at the ER in less than 15 minutes. She was alert entering the ER and talking with the doctor when her heart stopped. It was restarted. This starting/stopping went on for 2 hours when her heart stopped for good. It seems all efforts were taken, yet she still died. There is no "symptom" for a heart attack.

Comment from: Ms. Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I had a heart attack at age 51. My symptoms went on for one year before actually having the attack. I went to numerous doctors with the symptoms of straining and pulling in my jaw and neck, left arm numbness, and a burning sensation in the center of my chest. All the doctors said they could not find anything wrong with me. I had an echo done along with blood work and was told everything was fine. My symptoms continued until I had the myocardial infraction. I was treated with cardiac stent placement, placed on blood thinners for one year, and received heart and hypertension medications.

Heart attack - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of heart attack can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Heart Attack - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of a heart attack. What tests and exams did you have?