Patient Comments: Heart Attack - Treatments

What was the treatment for your heart attack?

Comment from: iqbal bibi, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 08

I am an old patient of vasculitis since 2000. For 5 year I have taken tablet Deltacotril along with Zantac tablet. But now again the above problem has started from hand and foot.

Comment from: UKL, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I had a heart attack a week ago (57 year old female). For the past month I had been woken a few times with 'severe indigestion' but it went away after a few minutes. Last week I got woken at 3 am with a burning sensation in my windpipe and center of my chest which would not go away despite Gaviscon. Then the squeezing started, as if my chest was being pressed on both sides of my breast bone, dead center. Then my arms went numb from my shoulders to my elbows and I realized what was going on. In the past months I had ignored twinges in my shoulder, clavicle, and left side of my neck. I had broken my phone that evening and live alone so I had to walk barefoot in my pajamas to a neighbor to ask for an ambulance. My troponin enzyme levels were elevated and later that night I had 2 stents inserted. Don't ignore the twinges and warning signs. I did not have nausea, vomiting, sweating, shortness of breath, fatigue or feelings of doom or illness. Just chest pain that burned until it squeezed. I was a smoker (never going back to it) with high cholesterol but active and not vastly overweight. My doctor said family history is the main contributing factor.

Comment from: Noel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I suffered a heart attack, I had no pain, only heaviness in chest. I had bypass surgery, I still suffer with breathing and leg swelling; the heart muscle is partly damaged.

Comment from: Ignored, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I received no treatment for my heart attack. I was 25 and woke abruptly at 6am, couldn't breathe and it felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest. Pain down my left arm and very severe chest pain. I lived alone and didn't want to bother anyone, so tried to ignore it. I struggled to breathe for the next 3 days, until I finally called a friend to take me to hospital. Then I waited all day for him to finish work. Finally got to emergency, 2 young doctors asked me what was wrong, I told them, and they said I could go home. That was it, no tests. 8 years on I have severe edema with daily chest pain and constant palpitations and irregular heartbeat. I recently went for a beach walk and almost had to be rushed to hospital. I can't have any kind of life.

Comment from: Gina, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I just couldn"t breathe. Not like short of breath; more like not being able to get the air all the way down. I was weak and sick at my stomach. I was swollen in feet, legs, face, and stomach. I became so hot I felt like taking off all my clothes. Just that feeling that I knew something was wrong but didn"t know what. I went to the doctor and he told me to rest and keep my feet propped up. By this time I could not wear any shoes. I went back to the doctor a few days later and I told him I was suffering. He did an EKG and from there I was sent to the emergency room. Heart attack; I never did get the terrible pain in my chest and arm I had always heard about. I was in the hospital for 7 days. That was 6 months ago and I still don"t feel well most of the time.

Comment from: Joe, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: November 02

My non-smoker wife of 54 years, age 76, died from a heart attack on Oct. 18, 2012. Her symptoms included no chest pain, but she had shortness of breath, cold sweats and difficulty standing. Her cholesterol was low (about 150), but her triglycerides were high and she had controlled diabetes. No record of heart trouble. Paramedics had her at the ER in less than 15 minutes. She was alert entering the ER and talking with the doctor when her heart stopped. It was restarted. This starting/stopping went on for 2 hours when her heart stopped for good. It seems all efforts were taken, yet she still died. There is no "symptom" for a heart attack.

Heart attack - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of heart attack can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Heart Attack - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of a heart attack. What tests and exams did you have?