Patient Comments: Heart Attack - Treatments

What was the treatment for your heart attack?

Comment from: Joe, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: November 02

My non-smoker wife of 54 years, age 76, died from a heart attack on Oct. 18, 2012. Her symptoms included no chest pain, but she had shortness of breath, cold sweats and difficulty standing. Her cholesterol was low (about 150), but her triglycerides were high and she had controlled diabetes. No record of heart trouble. Paramedics had her at the ER in less than 15 minutes. She was alert entering the ER and talking with the doctor when her heart stopped. It was restarted. This starting/stopping went on for 2 hours when her heart stopped for good. It seems all efforts were taken, yet she still died. There is no "symptom" for a heart attack.

Comment from: Ms. Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I had a heart attack at age 51. My symptoms went on for one year before actually having the attack. I went to numerous doctors with the symptoms of straining and pulling in my jaw and neck, left arm numbness, and a burning sensation in the center of my chest. All the doctors said they could not find anything wrong with me. I had an echo done along with blood work and was told everything was fine. My symptoms continued until I had the myocardial infraction. I was treated with cardiac stent placement, placed on blood thinners for one year, and received heart and hypertension medications.

Comment from: mother of 4, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I presented with chest pain, left arm pain and burning, and jaw pain. Both the ER Dr. and later a cardiologist said not my heart, but acid reflux. Pain got more frequent and worsened in severity. 10 days later, excruciating pain in center of chest, down both arms, and jaw. Elevated enzymes in blood showed up. Transferred to hospital 2 hours away. Angio showed 95% blockage in left descending artery. A stent was implanted. Pain free since.

Comment from: 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I had a stent plus balloon put in. Angio Plasty I believe. I'm 80 years old. Got it pretty late in life. Eat totally different now. No meats. Blueberries etc. I knew something was wrong when I got a terrific pain in the middle of my chest. When I stopped walking, pain went away. Started walking again, pain came back. Daughter drove me to emergency. Doctor said I had an angina attack. I do lots of walking. Lost some weight, but was never heavy. Eat differently. The good foods. No saturated fats if I can help it.

Comment from: 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 18

Your diet must be changed. Better healthier foods. Less saturated fat. Mild exercise. Walking briskly. Take your pills prescribed.

Heart attack - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of heart attack can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Heart Attack - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of a heart attack. What tests and exams did you have?