Patient Comments: Headache - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your headache?

Comment from: Barb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I have had migraine headaches for almost 50 years, and I finally just recently found a treatment that works for me. My doctor put me on gabapentin (Neurontin). It really has helped. Since I've been on this medication (probably about five years), I have had only one migraine.

Comment from: always in pain, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I have suffered from headaches for 20 years now. The only thing I have found that works at all is Maxalt. I also took Depakote on a daily basis, which helped to keep my headaches at a minimum. When my Maxalt doesn't work, which is about once a year, I end up in the emergency room. In those cases, the only thing that gets rid of the headache immediately is a morphine IV.

Comment from: goldwing1154, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I have had headaches for nearly 2 years now. I get to where I cannot think. I get disoriented and my right eye gets blurred. For over a year I have visited the doctor and with a block procedure sometimes I get relief, but some do not work. I've had one work for nearly 7 months and some do not work at all. I have tried all types of migraine medicine with no results. Now I take morphine Sulfate 15mg at night and for spikes I take oxycodone 10/325. The bad thing is after the blocks when the pain returns, it returns with a vengeance. Sometimes it comes back 300 % worse. I am getting at wits end as it is just about impossible to think, or even try to work! I need help, but do not know where to go to get it!

Comment from: etihwkcalb, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I get migraine headaches at least once or twice a week. It is very difficult for me to do anything but try to sleep it off, which is impossible unless I've taken a pill such as Imitrex, Zomig, or Maxalt. I don't wish these headaches on my worst enemy.

Comment from: mom-mom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I have recently found that another cause for headaches is environment. I had an excruciating migraine this past week. Normally Excedrin migraine relieves my headaches. Not this one. I traced the source to an air freshener plug-in. As long as the scent was in the house, I had a headache. Once the source was removed, the headache was gone. Doctors need to add environment as a cause for headaches. If you have had headaches and have not found relief it may be something in your house or work area causing them.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I take 2 Tylenol extra strength for regular headache and sumatriptan 50 mg for migraine.

Comment from: KJB, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 24

I have had headaches for over 55 years. When I had a hysterectomy at age 40, that headaches continued until I stopped taking estrogen. I am now on ativan for anxiety and seem to get a head ache after taking each dose. The only thing that will take the headache away is two ibuprofen and hydrocodone APAP tablet 7.5 - 500.

Comment from: Jersey Boy, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 22

I have been suffering from migraines since the age of 5. They have been very debilitating to the point where I missed a year of school. I have tried going to a chiropractor, and even though it alleviated my migraines for a short period, I now get headaches if I don't crack my back. I wish I could have a normal life, but these migraines keep me from that.

Headache - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your headaches?
Headache - Remedies Question: What is your best headache remedy?
Headache - Causes Question: What causes your headaches?
Headache - Nausea Question: Do you have nausea associated with your headaches?