Patient Comments: Headache - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your headache?

Comment from: trebors, Male (Patient) Published: June 16

Nobody had worse migraines than mine. My whole brain just 'quit'. Finally after 65 years (72 now) I had my first seizure at 68 and it turned out to be a blessing. The doctor was treating me with a drug that stopped my migraines almost 100 percent. In the last 4 years, I have seen a tiny wavy line in my vision, which has gone in a few minutes. My miracle medicine is lamotrigine.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

My heart goes out to all who, like me, have difficulty managing their headache pain. I have cluster headache - the agony is indescribable and during the last 35 years I have had about a dozen that hurt so much, if I owned a gun, I would surely have taken my life. This year I had aggressive chemotherapy and went into heart failure. The blood vessel dilating action of my heart medications has triggered an onslaught of cluster headaches, my first episode in over 8 years. I have just stopped taking the heart medications and within 48 hours I am improving. Maxalt ODT has been a godsend for the headaches but I am not going to continue taking medications that dilate my blood vessels. I would rather be dead than spend the rest of my days guaranteed of 3 or 4 or more cluster headaches.

Comment from: lou, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I recently had a fall and a concussion I damaged the nerves in my neck causing severe head pain. I get pain blockers which sometimes help a bit. I tried everything from morphine to anti-inflammatory, no luck.

Comment from: Barb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I have had migraine headaches for almost 50 years, and I finally just recently found a treatment that works for me. My doctor put me on gabapentin (Neurontin). It really has helped. Since I've been on this medication (probably about five years), I have had only one migraine.

Comment from: always in pain, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I have suffered from headaches for 20 years now. The only thing I have found that works at all is Maxalt. I also took Depakote on a daily basis, which helped to keep my headaches at a minimum. When my Maxalt doesn't work, which is about once a year, I end up in the emergency room. In those cases, the only thing that gets rid of the headache immediately is a morphine IV.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I take 2 Tylenol extra strength for regular headache and sumatriptan 50 mg for migraine.

Comment from: KJB, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 24

I have had headaches for over 55 years. When I had a hysterectomy at age 40, that headaches continued until I stopped taking estrogen. I am now on ativan for anxiety and seem to get a head ache after taking each dose. The only thing that will take the headache away is two ibuprofen and hydrocodone APAP tablet 7.5 - 500.

Comment from: goldwing1154, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I have had headaches for nearly 2 years now. I get to where I cannot think. I get disoriented and my right eye gets blurred. For over a year I have visited the doctor and with a block procedure sometimes I get relief, but some do not work. I've had one work for nearly 7 months and some do not work at all. I have tried all types of migraine medicine with no results. Now I take morphine Sulfate 15mg at night and for spikes I take oxycodone 10/325. The bad thing is after the blocks when the pain returns, it returns with a vengeance. Sometimes it comes back 300 % worse. I am getting at wits end as it is just about impossible to think, or even try to work! I need help, but do not know where to go to get it!

Headache - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your headaches?
Headache - Remedies Question: What is your best headache remedy?
Headache - Causes Question: What causes your headaches?
Headache - Nausea Question: Do you have nausea associated with your headaches?