Patient Comments: Headache - Remedies

What is your best headache remedy?

Comment from: eva, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 25

I have had an ankle arthroscopy, I am a 64 year old woman. Surgery date was May 10th, 2016. At the same time I had right ankle scope, anterior crucial ligament, navicular excision, and posterior tibial repair. I'm ok now, my pain before this surgery was extraordinary, huge pain, same pain what I got after the surgery. After surgery I got morphine, but I declined after 2 days, and did not take any pain medication. Now I'm in rehabilitation center with cast on my right leg. After my right ankle recovery, I am going for same surgery for my left ankle, plus torn ligament repair. I am thankful to my doctor. With the second surgery also going well, I will be the happiest women in this world. I was suffering a lot from the pain before my surgery, I hope not anymore.

Comment from: burns, 45-54 Female Published: February 12

The vertigo started when I would reach down to pick something up. I would almost fall on to the floor. Then it would happen when I would roll over at night. The entire room would spin. I thought at first it was my blood sugar or something else. Doctor visit diagnosed vertigo, and was given medication. It still happens every once in a while.

Comment from: Sheba, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I am now allergic to every pain medication. I have different allergic reactions to each one; throat closing, blisters, rash, nausea, muscle soreness/weakness, etc. I worry that someday I might need a pain medication in case of surgery, etc. I also have difficulty with some antibiotics and anti-viral medicines. I am also now lactose intolerant, and have just developed IBS (irritable bowel syndrome. I have not had any of these issues until the past year or two.

Comment from: Dani, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 18

I got headaches every two weeks at least for more than twenty years. My best medicine is Advil the regular one. Sometimes the pain stays for two days. But Advil is my best medicine. It works.

Comment from: El, Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I am halfway through a course of EECP (enhanced external counter pulsation) to treat my hardening arteries, with so far, positive results.

Comment from: Sudlor, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 08

When a migraine first starts I put my feet in hot water, take a couple of ibuprofen and after about 15 minutes my headache is mostly gone. It isn't all gone, but much improved and doesn't last nearly as long. I've had migraines for over 60 years and just found out about this a few years ago.

Comment from: Chreeees, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I have had migraines for at least the last 10-15 years and I've tried everything. I used to take Imitrex once upon a time. Now I use Excedrin Migraine. It takes 20-30 minutes to usually work. I noticed that my headaches are usually weather related and when the pressure drops, I get a headache. Other remedies are using a cold gel mask that is kept in the fridge over your eyes. Another option is taking a shower, fooling my head into thinking it's raining. Sometimes, I just need some caffeine. For a tension headache, I take Excedrin Tension Headache. One dose usually doesn't work though. Sometimes all you need is fresh air too and an easy day.

Headache - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your headache?
Headache - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your headaches?
Headache - Causes Question: What causes your headaches?
Headache - Nausea Question: Do you have nausea associated with your headaches?