Patient Comments: Headache - Remedies

What is your best headache remedy?

Comment from: Sheba, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I am now allergic to every pain medication. I have different allergic reactions to each one; throat closing, blisters, rash, nausea, muscle soreness/weakness, etc. I worry that someday I might need a pain medication in case of surgery, etc. I also have difficulty with some antibiotics and anti-viral medicines. I am also now lactose intolerant, and have just developed IBS (irritable bowel syndrome. I have not had any of these issues until the past year or two.

Comment from: Dani, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 18

I got headaches every two weeks at least for more than twenty years. My best medicine is Advil the regular one. Sometimes the pain stays for two days. But Advil is my best medicine. It works.

Comment from: Sudlor, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 08

When a migraine first starts I put my feet in hot water, take a couple of ibuprofen and after about 15 minutes my headache is mostly gone. It isn't all gone, but much improved and doesn't last nearly as long. I've had migraines for over 60 years and just found out about this a few years ago.

Comment from: Chreeees, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I have had migraines for at least the last 10-15 years and I've tried everything. I used to take Imitrex once upon a time. Now I use Excedrin Migraine. It takes 20-30 minutes to usually work. I noticed that my headaches are usually weather related and when the pressure drops, I get a headache. Other remedies are using a cold gel mask that is kept in the fridge over your eyes. Another option is taking a shower, fooling my head into thinking it's raining. Sometimes, I just need some caffeine. For a tension headache, I take Excedrin Tension Headache. One dose usually doesn't work though. Sometimes all you need is fresh air too and an easy day.

Comment from: spat, 25-34 Female Published: February 13

For migraine relief I have success every time I take Tylenol with caffeine. I usually just have to rest for 20 after taking it then I can carry on with my day! For me it's important to take the Tylenol as soon as the migraine starts or nothing will work. Everything else I have tried was hit and miss, even developed allergies to certain drugs.

Comment from: Snuffy Smith, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 17

I had 2 heart attacks 30 years ago & have had 24/7 headaches constantly, since..Ive been all over the country & no one can find a cause. Its a band-like pain & my temple arteries pulsate hard..I have taken Lorazapam (ATIVAN) 5 MG, 3 times a day (Morn-Noon-Nite)..I'm still not immune to the tablets, but they still help dissipate the hardest ache...I'm 85 years old now,& with other pains, I feel like giving up!!!I was at Cleveland Clinic etc.

Comment from: syu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

My husband and I use the same method to ease our headache. A long icy shower, a nap or undisturbed rest and perhaps eat some food.

Comment from: jomphey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

As a lifelong migraine sufferer, my mom used to put vinegar on a rag. I believe cider was what she used, the brown kind. I would exhale the vapors and it would somehow help me to fall asleep by easing the pain just a smidge. I now use Imitrex like it is Pez. But, on the roughest headaches, brown vinegar on a rag truly helps. Breathe in slowly through the nose and you'll see, Old Wives are on to something.

Headache - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your headache?
Headache - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your headaches?
Headache - Causes Question: What causes your headaches?
Headache - Nausea Question: Do you have nausea associated with your headaches?