Patient Comments: Headache - Remedies

What is your best headache remedy?

Comment from: spat, 25-34 Female Published: February 13

For migraine relief I have success every time I take Tylenol with caffeine. I usually just have to rest for 20 after taking it then I can carry on with my day! For me it's important to take the Tylenol as soon as the migraine starts or nothing will work. Everything else I have tried was hit and miss, even developed allergies to certain drugs.

Comment from: jomphey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

As a lifelong migraine sufferer, my mom used to put vinegar on a rag. I believe cider was what she used, the brown kind. I would exhale the vapors and it would somehow help me to fall asleep by easing the pain just a smidge. I now use Imitrex like it is Pez. But, on the roughest headaches, brown vinegar on a rag truly helps. Breathe in slowly through the nose and you'll see, Old Wives are on to something.

Comment from: Snuffy Smith, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 17

I had 2 heart attacks 30 years ago & have had 24/7 headaches constantly, since..Ive been all over the country & no one can find a cause. Its a band-like pain & my temple arteries pulsate hard..I have taken Lorazapam (ATIVAN) 5 MG, 3 times a day (Morn-Noon-Nite)..I'm still not immune to the tablets, but they still help dissipate the hardest ache...I'm 85 years old now,& with other pains, I feel like giving up!!!I was at Cleveland Clinic etc.

Comment from: syu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

My husband and I use the same method to ease our headache. A long icy shower, a nap or undisturbed rest and perhaps eat some food.

Comment from: Marilyn, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I learned from trial and error that my headaches were caused from caffeine withdrawal. The pain is on the top of my head on the left side, continuing along my back down to my neck. I don't drink coffee, tea, or cola beverages. The only caffeine I have is from chocolate. After going without chocolate for 2 years (headache free) I gave in once and found that I could tolerate a little chocolate daily. But when I was driving on a three day trip I had to take some caffeine pills (NoDoz). I only take half a pill since it really affects me. After this last trip I started getting my headaches again. I tried heat, cold, Acetamenaphin, nothing helped. Then as a last resort I took 1/4 caffeine pill. The relief was very fast. I went from a 9 level of pain to a 4 in about 15 minutes. The rest just slowly subsided to a 1. I guess I should have known that caffeine would help, but I didn't want to start the symptoms all over again. At least now I know what to take for it if I get it again.

Comment from: Tess, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

My best remedy for a tension headache is WalMart brand headache pain pills. They work better than my regular pain meds doctor gave me. They work in about 10 mins. Also help with other pains.

Comment from: 13-18 Male Published: March 12

I am 18 years old, and I was diagnosed with migraines when I was 5 years old. The one thing that helps me with my migraine headaches is to blow a hair dryer on my face for a minute or two.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I too have been a longtime sufferer of migraines...This helps...it sounds crazy, but it does sooth the headache some...Vics Vapor Rub...rub all around the eye or eyes if both hurt, then put a dab inside the corner of your eye, yes the corner of your eye...it will burn but it is this burn that soothes the headache...then go to bed in dark room and tie a t-shirt around your head as tight as you can, or get someone to help you tie it as tight as you can...if you are very still, this will sooth the headache!!!

Comment from: 2Much4me, 45-54 Male Published: November 28

Last December I got beat up in a major department store parking lot and have had headaches every day since then. Most of the time I can tolerate the pain, but sometimes it brings tears to my eyes. I have tried every type of headache medication out there that is OTC. I am current not working nor do I have a regular doctor. I have gone to the hospital and they did some tests but found nothing. The pain is not any worse with noise. The pain is not in one location in my head, it is all over. Right now it hurts so much I am crying. Please help.

Headache - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your headache?
Headache - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your headaches?
Headache - Causes Question: What causes your headaches?
Headache - Nausea Question: Do you have nausea associated with your headaches?