Patient Comments: Head Lice - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your head lice?

Comment from: steve, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 14

When my girls came home from school with lice I could not afford the lice shampoo, so I bought dog shampoo, it kills the lice for a third of the cost.

Comment from: Allyz, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

Keratin hair straightening treatment in salon kills lice. Expensive but worth it!!! I hate lice!! I have lice again from my daughter's friend who used my brush. If I wasn't nursing I would do keratin but you can't do it if you're pregnant or nursing.

Published: June 02

We tried all the over the counter medicines which were not effective. During one infestation I was due to color my hair and we found that hair dye kills them. The good thing about this is you can color your hair the same shade.

Comment from: bj92452, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 10

This may sound crazy, but I tried NIX and other brands OTC, none were effective on my child until I tried Sargents ScratchX, Suldene flea shampoos. Says right on the bottle for fleas, ticks and lice. I did her head once a week and never had a problem ever again!

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: May 10

I have tried every possible remedy (both natural and chemical), cried many tears over it and nothing gets rid of the nits. Then I straight-ironed my little girl's hair and they disappeared after washing it. Think about it - we are advised to wash our clothes and bedding in temps higher than 60 degrees. Flat hair irons/strengtheners get to temps of up to 200 degrees. Try it - it really works!

Head Lice - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with head lice infestation (pediculosis).
Head Lice - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms experienced with head lice in you or a relative?
Head Lice - Prevention Question: What methods have you used to prevent head lice infestation? What do you tell your children?
Head Lice - Home Remedies Question: Please share effective home remedies for head lice. Who in your household was treated?