Patient Comments: Head Lice - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with head lice infestation (pediculosis).

Comment from: acashen, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 26

I have 3 children and over the years I have dealt with 5 cases of lice infestation. I am currently dealing with #5. In the past I have used Selsun Blue which worked amazingly well for the hair. It kills them and prevents their return with continued use (my husband's family used it frequently when he was a child for treatment and it worked then too). I am trying something different this time just to see if it works. I washed my girls' hair and then conditioned but picked out the live ones with the conditioner still in the hair. After I got those out what I found was if I dried their hair and then sent them to bed with olive oil in their hair, I actually drown a few in olive oil during the application. My hairdresser told me that lice doesn"t like dirty hair hence the attempt with olive oil. I stripped all of their bedding and took it to the Laundromat, used the hottest water I could get and then dried them extra-long to kill the buggers. Well here's to an experiment. If this doesn"t work, it"s back to the Selsun Blue!

Published: July 02

A lot of what I read about lice is false from my experience. My grandchildren came here with lice about 6 months ago. I have been trying to get rid of them ever since. They managed to get rid of them but, I can't. I have tried everything. They say they don't crawl on you and that is bull. I can feel them crawl up my body and eventually get into my hair. I have no nits. As soon as I feel them I brush my hair over the tub. I see one crawling in the bath tub. Yesterday I brushed one off my back and saw it crawling around. I have washed and dried everything, cleaned my carpet, vacuumed, ironed my bed and my couch, have stuff in plastic bags, wrapped my whole couch in plastic, washed my curtains, have my scatter rugs still in bags for 3 months. I unwrapped my couch and got attacked. Rid, or any of the over the counter shampoos do not work, I even had the Dr give me 2 different types of prescription medicine. I follow the directions. I have even put kerosene on my head, and Malathion to the point I had to call 911. I have sprayed my house a million times. The only thing that kills them is vinegar. So, now I have sprayed my couch with pure vinegar and carpet and myself. I have a rash from all the stuff, my head is dry. I have tried home remedies; basil oil, peroxide, alcohol, olive oil, tea tree oil, Eucalyptus oil, peppermint, oregano and other spices made into tea. Some work. People have checked my hair and there are no nits/eggs. Vaselined my hair, baby oil, olive oil and left it on all night. Sleep with my pillow wrapped in plastic. Change my pillow cases nightly; wash my brushes 4 times a day in boiling water and alcohol for 1/2 hr. So the theory that they die within so many days is bull. My couch was covered for months and I did not sit on it. When I unwrapped the plastic, they were still alive in there, the adults and babies. So I think someone should re evaluate their theories. I have had it. I don't even want anyone to come over. I itch at work, but no one else does. I brush the bugs off in the toilet. They have treated with their hospital stuff for lice. I am still itching. I'm lost and fed up.

Comment from: GailDolly, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 14

Each of my three children (usually in 2nd grade) came home with head lice. All I had to do was use the over-the-counter shampoo, wash their bedding and vacuum their bedrooms. That was that! The bugs were gone. I have never heard of having the kind of problems I've been reading about now.

Comment from: 7times7is49, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 17

My two boys have a knack for getting lice in the early winter every year. We've tried several pesticide-based cleaners (Denorex, Rid, etc.) and old home cures from my mother. My wife has tried tea tree oil on them, but she found peppermint oil works well, especially with the winter season and dry skin. The name brand she picked up was Licenex, and they have sodium borate and enzymes as the other active ingredients. No weird chemicals, and my boys don't complain as much.

Comment from: ddavis, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I am dealing with lice now. I found out Friday night that I had it. My friend (beautician) and I sat at her house for 3 hours combing my hair and getting the nits, nymphs, and adult lice out! We got thousands and thousands out of my head. I had had it about a month. I just thought I had dandruff and then it started itching worse so I called my best fiend also my hairdresser to take a look at my hair and I was defiantly infested. We got the most of them out that night. I went back over there Friday morning and we put mayo on my hair and let it set for about 30 mins. and then we combed thru it again. We got most of the remaining ones out. I'm still doing mayo on my head every night until I know for a fact that they are gone. The first night we treated we used RID then after that we put mayo on my head and let it set for awhile then washed it out and combed again. The second day we just did the mayo. Yesterday we let my hair rest and today (Monday) we are going to do another mayo treatment and leave it on my hair overnight. Then come Friday again I'm going to go get some more RID and do it again just to be on the safe side. I threw my sheets, hairbrushes, ponytail holders, clips, and everything away. I washed all blankets, vacuumed the floor, couch, mattresses repeatedly, swept the floor and moped. Hopefully this coming up weekend I'll be lice free.

Head Lice - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your head lice?
Head Lice - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms experienced with head lice in you or a relative?
Head Lice - Prevention Question: What methods have you used to prevent head lice infestation? What do you tell your children?
Head Lice - Home Remedies Question: Please share effective home remedies for head lice. Who in your household was treated?