Patient Comments: Head Lice - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with head lice infestation (pediculosis).

Comment from: cc, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

My son and I contacted lice through a family member. We had lice over a month before we knew we were infested. The family member didn't tell us about it because they were embarrassed that they had it. Anyway, I notified our school nurse and she told us to do the shampoo treatment and follow the directions to a tee. Then, everyday in between the initial treatment and the last one, use the blue Dawn (regular) dishliquid on your hair/scalp. Put in on your hair dry and make a lather. Leave it on for at least 30 minutes. Then wash out. I did this and it worked for us. We also washed EVERYTHING in the house and my son and I quarantined ourselves to air mattresses and washed our bedding every night. My daughter and husband did not get the pesky little things. Luckily for them. Hope this helps. I have looked at every website imaginable educating myself on lice and the dawn was the best treatment and easy and inexpensive also!

Comment from: Kris, 35-44 Female Published: October 09

Last year, my two children (8 and 4) got head lice for the first time. I had never dealt with it before, so I followed the directions on the box, which said to do a treatment, pull out all of the nits, wait for seven to 10 days, and then do another treatment because that is when any new bugs will hatch. The problem with that is you don't know when the eggs were laid, so they could hatch at anytime and become adults and lay more eggs before you even do the second treatment. Therefore, I did the second treatment four days after the first one. I then did a third treatment four days after that. I've tried different treatments and the best is R&C. It is very oily and covers the hair really good. Both of my girls have long, thick, coarse hair, like a horse's mane. I hope this helps, and keep checking the hair every day. I have to use a regular comb because of their hair being so thick.

Comment from: momoftwoboys, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 09

We have had to deal with head lice twice in the last two to three months because of an infestation at school. Both times, I used vegetable or olive oil on the hair, let it sit for 30 minutes, rinsed, washed and dried their hair. Then I picked out the nits, etc. Then I used the over-the-counter treatment as instructed on the box. The big thing is to keep checking and pulling nits. It's been frustrating because other parents aren't checking.

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: August 12

Here's what I did when we were infested with lice: Saturate hair with mayo and baby oil and apply shower cap and keep on over night. Next morning, wash hair with Denorex extra-strength shampoo along with coconut shampoo and a crème rinse. Then apply Listerine and leave it on the scalp for two hours, along with another shower cap. Rinse and then apply white vinegar for another two hours and apply another shower cap. Then repeat the shampoo process above. Then take a steel lice comb and go through each strand of hair and pull out the nits. We used a flashlight on the scalp to be able to see better. We did this for two days and by the third day, there were no lice. Make sure you wash all linens each night, along with all pillows and sweep all mattresses. Use Clorox to clean up everything, and spray down everything with Lysol, floors, furniture, countertops, bathrooms, basically every room in your house. Wash everything in your house, mop and sweep daily and repeat the Clorox clean up and Lysol. This really works.

Published: July 14

Over the counter medicine such as Rid does not work. The only thing that worked was white vinegar. Let it sit on your head for 15 minutes to 30 minutes. It is cheaper and far more effective. Vinegar loosens the nits and they fall right out. Another thing that is helpful is a comb that is specially designed to get nits out. The one in the rid box does not work well enough.

Published: June 19

I have a great treatment for head lice...drown them...every morning and evening, submerge the infested head into water for a few minutes. The lice die and float away in the water. Any surviving eggs that may hatch will be drowned at the next "drowning." Easy, no chemicals, no mess, full-proof and no cost!

Published: June 17

My 5-year-old daughter had lice in the middle of May and here it is the middle of June and we are still dealing with it. I am incredibly sick and very tired of doing non-stop laundry, bed linen changes, hair combings, and the list keeps going. Finally, I am hopeful that we are almost in the clear. I checked her hair again tonight and all that was found were old nits (very dark, empty clear ones) that were at least 2-3 inches from the scalp. I would consider her infestation to be probably the worst or close to the worst possible cases. My husband and I probably combed and pulled out at least 100-150 nits in the first few days of her treatment. (Note to parents: Please, please remind your children to never share hats, combs, hair things, sweatshirts with hoods, etc. Kids don't think of this unless they are reminded often. Also, check your child's daycare or classroom at school.) My daughter's preschool room had a dress up area. Needless to say, I expressed to her teacher and the school nurse what nonsense it is to have something that can enable lice to spread very quickly right at the kids' fingertips.

Head Lice - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your head lice?
Head Lice - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms experienced with head lice in you or a relative?
Head Lice - Prevention Question: What methods have you used to prevent head lice infestation? What do you tell your children?
Head Lice - Home Remedies Question: Please share effective home remedies for head lice. Who in your household was treated?