Patient Comments: Head Lice - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with head lice infestation (pediculosis).

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: August 12

Here's what I did when we were infested with lice: Saturate hair with mayo and baby oil and apply shower cap and keep on over night. Next morning, wash hair with Denorex extra-strength shampoo along with coconut shampoo and a crème rinse. Then apply Listerine and leave it on the scalp for two hours, along with another shower cap. Rinse and then apply white vinegar for another two hours and apply another shower cap. Then repeat the shampoo process above. Then take a steel lice comb and go through each strand of hair and pull out the nits. We used a flashlight on the scalp to be able to see better. We did this for two days and by the third day, there were no lice. Make sure you wash all linens each night, along with all pillows and sweep all mattresses. Use Clorox to clean up everything, and spray down everything with Lysol, floors, furniture, countertops, bathrooms, basically every room in your house. Wash everything in your house, mop and sweep daily and repeat the Clorox clean up and Lysol. This really works.

Published: July 14

Over the counter medicine such as Rid does not work. The only thing that worked was white vinegar. Let it sit on your head for 15 minutes to 30 minutes. It is cheaper and far more effective. Vinegar loosens the nits and they fall right out. Another thing that is helpful is a comb that is specially designed to get nits out. The one in the rid box does not work well enough.

Published: June 19

I have a great treatment for head lice...drown them...every morning and evening, submerge the infested head into water for a few minutes. The lice die and float away in the water. Any surviving eggs that may hatch will be drowned at the next "drowning." Easy, no chemicals, no mess, full-proof and no cost!

Published: June 17

My 5-year-old daughter had lice in the middle of May and here it is the middle of June and we are still dealing with it. I am incredibly sick and very tired of doing non-stop laundry, bed linen changes, hair combings, and the list keeps going. Finally, I am hopeful that we are almost in the clear. I checked her hair again tonight and all that was found were old nits (very dark, empty clear ones) that were at least 2-3 inches from the scalp. I would consider her infestation to be probably the worst or close to the worst possible cases. My husband and I probably combed and pulled out at least 100-150 nits in the first few days of her treatment. (Note to parents: Please, please remind your children to never share hats, combs, hair things, sweatshirts with hoods, etc. Kids don't think of this unless they are reminded often. Also, check your child's daycare or classroom at school.) My daughter's preschool room had a dress up area. Needless to say, I expressed to her teacher and the school nurse what nonsense it is to have something that can enable lice to spread very quickly right at the kids' fingertips.

Comment from: TateColburn, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 17

My 8 year old son was home from school sick and I noticed him scratching his head. I said come here and let me see what you are scratching. I noticed a lot of nits and small sores on his head. We were in the car at this time. I pulled over and checked his head and there were a lot of nits and I found only one live small bug. I immediately went to Wal Mart and got a treatment for headline. We checked everyone in the homes hair and I notified his teacher and they checked the heads of the kids at school. No one else in the family or any of his classmates had lice, so I cannot figure out where it could have come from.

Comment from: brennalee, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 06

Please tell me the order of events in treating for head lice. Last week I washed everyone's hair, washed all bedding and sprayed down mattresses, chairs and carpeting. Now 7 days later. I found an egg in my hair so when does this stop?

Head Lice - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your head lice?
Head Lice - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms experienced with head lice in you or a relative?
Head Lice - Prevention Question: What methods have you used to prevent head lice infestation? What do you tell your children?
Head Lice - Home Remedies Question: Please share effective home remedies for head lice. Who in your household was treated?