Patient Comments: Head Lice - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with head lice infestation (pediculosis).

Comment from: Anastacia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have had head lice for a little over a week now, and I've been picking out the nits and bugs in the shower with conditioner and the lice comb that came with the OTC lice medication I bought from the store. I do plan to use the lice medication, but I'm first trying to be sure that the whole house is treated and lice-free before I use it so that I don't waste the lice medication then catch it again. Lice medication is very expensive for a poor pregnant mother such as me! Luckily, my midwife said that it's OK for pregnant women to use lice medications, so at least this doesn't add on to the rest of my everyday worries! This is my very first time ever having head lice and hopefully my last. I'm doing everything in my power to completely get rid of it and never catch it again!

Comment from: Emilie, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 01

I have an old-fashioned remedy for getting rid of head lice and their eggs. I have read that adult lice can breathe under water and don't like heat, and the eggs are attached to the hair shaft with a sticky substance. Therefore, if you can suffocate the adult, dissolve the egg attachment to get rid of the eggs and confine the infected hair, you have a good chance to get rid of the infestation. First, heavily coat the infected head with lard, or Crisco, egg whites or a thick, greasy substance. Wrap the infected head/hair firmly and completely with clear plastic wrap (if you like, wrap a towel over the plastic wrap to add natural heat), and leave on for one or two days. When you do this, it will suffocate and heat the lice and loosen the eggs. When you wash the hair, everything will wash down the drain. Of course, include the area cleaning in the house, the car(s) and areas the child came into contact with when you start hair treatment. This treatment is user-friendly and non-chemical or dangerous.

Comment from: Mother of 4, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 01

One of my children had head lice. Even with treatment, it took days to be nit free. Look on the computer to see pictures of nits and adult lice; this is helpful. You must part the hair in small amounts and vigorously run a nit comb through it. I found the metal "medi combs" work the best as they are sturdy. When you think you have it all, do it again. Our younger children could not be treated with lice shampoo, however, we used hair gel and shower caps every night for two weeks and that seemed to work. You must do this consistently to avoid spreading it.

Comment from: Mydavis, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

My daughter and I have head lice. I found a website that gave this advice from hundreds of parents: Wash hair in Denorex (with coal tar) shampoo, rinse, pour Listerine all over the wet hair (to burn and kill lice), squeeze excess out and cover head in a shower cap. (Keep a towel around your shoulders to wipe drips.) Leave the mixture on for two hours, rinse, cover hair in vinegar (to loosen nit glue), cover in shower cap, leave on for one hour, rinse and wash hair in Suave Green Apple shampoo (they hate the scent and deep condition with Suave Coconut conditioner. (Something in the coconut extract repels them.) Then, rinse, comb out bugs and nits with a lice comb, wipe on a tissue and put them in zip-up plastic bags. I sprayed all beds and couches with Lysol and then vacuumed everything as best I could. I am washing all bedding and clothes. I hope this does it. They all said this works.

Comment from: Help, 3-6 (Caregiver) Published: November 10

Both my husband and I and the school nurse checked my daughter's head and she was lice-free, so imagine my surprise when five days later we received a call from the school nurse saying she had head lice! Since then, it has been guerilla warfare here against the lice, and I feel we were almost torturing her. We washed everything, vacuumed every day, and did everything but shave her head or put kerosene on it. Talk about fighting a losing battle! Finally, it was suggested to me to try 1 cup vinegar rinse and use 4 drops of tea tree oil, and comb it through her hair. We were told to leave it for about 45 minutes and then rinse it out. Then we were told to coat her hair with a thick conditioner, comb it trough, and let it sit for about an hour, rinse and blow dry. This seems to be working well.

Comment from: INMom, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 30

I have had to deal with head lice a couple of times. The best thing to do is first sit down with your child, and just go strand by strand with your finger nails, and wipe off eggs on a bleach-soaked paper towel. Also, get a "lice zapper" comb. It runs on a battery and zaps the lice you missed. Then use lice shampoo. Next, wash all bedding and clothing in hot water and dry on hot. Then, get bedding spray for lice. Spray the bed in this, and buy a plastic mattress cover. Keep the bed covered, and then apply clean bedding. Next, spray everything with that spray. Then, vacuum and even shampoo the carpets. All dolls, toys, etc., go in a trash bag for about a week. Also, don't use those stupid combs that come with the shampoo, they break and hurt. Once you have shampooed your children's hair in the treatment, coat (and I mean coat) their hair in conditioner. Use a cat flea comb, and brush through slowly, rinsing off in a dish of water each stroke. This works great; you get the bugs, and you can see what you're getting. This is all you can do other than going to all the other children's homes and doing the same thing. Also, when you go to "play lands," start checking for head lice daily. It's a great place to pick them up!

Head Lice - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your head lice?
Head Lice - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms experienced with head lice in you or a relative?
Head Lice - Prevention Question: What methods have you used to prevent head lice infestation? What do you tell your children?
Head Lice - Home Remedies Question: Please share effective home remedies for head lice. Who in your household was treated?