Patient Comments: Head Lice - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with head lice infestation (pediculosis).

Comment from: Help, 3-6 (Caregiver) Published: November 10

Both my husband and I and the school nurse checked my daughter's head and she was lice-free, so imagine my surprise when five days later we received a call from the school nurse saying she had head lice! Since then, it has been guerilla warfare here against the lice, and I feel we were almost torturing her. We washed everything, vacuumed every day, and did everything but shave her head or put kerosene on it. Talk about fighting a losing battle! Finally, it was suggested to me to try 1 cup vinegar rinse and use 4 drops of tea tree oil, and comb it through her hair. We were told to leave it for about 45 minutes and then rinse it out. Then we were told to coat her hair with a thick conditioner, comb it trough, and let it sit for about an hour, rinse and blow dry. This seems to be working well.

Comment from: INMom, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 30

I have had to deal with head lice a couple of times. The best thing to do is first sit down with your child, and just go strand by strand with your finger nails, and wipe off eggs on a bleach-soaked paper towel. Also, get a "lice zapper" comb. It runs on a battery and zaps the lice you missed. Then use lice shampoo. Next, wash all bedding and clothing in hot water and dry on hot. Then, get bedding spray for lice. Spray the bed in this, and buy a plastic mattress cover. Keep the bed covered, and then apply clean bedding. Next, spray everything with that spray. Then, vacuum and even shampoo the carpets. All dolls, toys, etc., go in a trash bag for about a week. Also, don't use those stupid combs that come with the shampoo, they break and hurt. Once you have shampooed your children's hair in the treatment, coat (and I mean coat) their hair in conditioner. Use a cat flea comb, and brush through slowly, rinsing off in a dish of water each stroke. This works great; you get the bugs, and you can see what you're getting. This is all you can do other than going to all the other children's homes and doing the same thing. Also, when you go to "play lands," start checking for head lice daily. It's a great place to pick them up!

Comment from: cc, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

My son and I contacted lice through a family member. We had lice over a month before we knew we were infested. The family member didn't tell us about it because they were embarrassed that they had it. Anyway, I notified our school nurse and she told us to do the shampoo treatment and follow the directions to a tee. Then, everyday in between the initial treatment and the last one, use the blue Dawn (regular) dishliquid on your hair/scalp. Put in on your hair dry and make a lather. Leave it on for at least 30 minutes. Then wash out. I did this and it worked for us. We also washed EVERYTHING in the house and my son and I quarantined ourselves to air mattresses and washed our bedding every night. My daughter and husband did not get the pesky little things. Luckily for them. Hope this helps. I have looked at every website imaginable educating myself on lice and the dawn was the best treatment and easy and inexpensive also!

Comment from: Kris, 35-44 Female Published: October 09

Last year, my two children (8 and 4) got head lice for the first time. I had never dealt with it before, so I followed the directions on the box, which said to do a treatment, pull out all of the nits, wait for seven to 10 days, and then do another treatment because that is when any new bugs will hatch. The problem with that is you don't know when the eggs were laid, so they could hatch at anytime and become adults and lay more eggs before you even do the second treatment. Therefore, I did the second treatment four days after the first one. I then did a third treatment four days after that. I've tried different treatments and the best is R&C. It is very oily and covers the hair really good. Both of my girls have long, thick, coarse hair, like a horse's mane. I hope this helps, and keep checking the hair every day. I have to use a regular comb because of their hair being so thick.

Comment from: xtinasings2u, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 09

Around Halloween 2007, my daughter came down with head lice from a sleepover friend at her dad's. I was mortified. I spent hundreds of dollars on OTC medicines and even a prescription. I was exhausted. I vacuumed, washed, cleaned, and bagged. I'm a hair dresser. I got it; my son got it. Mostly they loved my daughter. I cut her hair; I thinned it with thinning shears. You name it. Then someone who had a situation with lice told me a "home remedy." This was now early January when she told me her story. She said that they used to slab African American scalp oil on their hair. I was so desperate, I went and bought it. I kid you not, it worked! The “grease” smothered the eggs and didn't allow lice to lay new ones.

Comment from: momoftwoboys, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 09

We have had to deal with head lice twice in the last two to three months because of an infestation at school. Both times, I used vegetable or olive oil on the hair, let it sit for 30 minutes, rinsed, washed and dried their hair. Then I picked out the nits, etc. Then I used the over-the-counter treatment as instructed on the box. The big thing is to keep checking and pulling nits. It's been frustrating because other parents aren't checking.

Head Lice - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your head lice?
Head Lice - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms experienced with head lice in you or a relative?
Head Lice - Prevention Question: What methods have you used to prevent head lice infestation? What do you tell your children?
Head Lice - Home Remedies Question: Please share effective home remedies for head lice. Who in your household was treated?