Patient Comments: Head Lice - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with head lice infestation (pediculosis).

Comment from: b.arm, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I have used Rid, Nix, Clearlice, tea tree oil, mayonnaise, peroxide, and right now I am sitting with Dawn dish liquid on my head. My doctor gave me 2 prescriptions for lice infestation, to no avail. Right now I'm out about $260. One person says there are 15 to 20 lice on an infested head, another said thousands. I wish people would not post stuff they are guessing about. People depend on these posts for help, please post only stuff you have tried, stuff you know. I am at my wits' end.

Comment from: Jenmomof3, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 21

Ovide works for head lice infestation, it is $165.00 a bottle. It kills the lice and nits.

Comment from: GailDolly, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 14

Each of my three children (usually in 2nd grade) came home with head lice. All I had to do was use the over-the-counter shampoo, wash their bedding and vacuum their bedrooms. That was that! The bugs were gone. I have never heard of having the kind of problems I've been reading about now.

Comment from: 7times7is49, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 17

My two boys have a knack for getting lice in the early winter every year. We've tried several pesticide-based cleaners (Denorex, Rid, etc.) and old home cures from my mother. My wife has tried tea tree oil on them, but she found peppermint oil works well, especially with the winter season and dry skin. The name brand she picked up was Licenex, and they have sodium borate and enzymes as the other active ingredients. No weird chemicals, and my boys don't complain as much.

Comment from: ddavis, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I am dealing with lice now. I found out Friday night that I had it. My friend (beautician) and I sat at her house for 3 hours combing my hair and getting the nits, nymphs, and adult lice out! We got thousands and thousands out of my head. I had had it about a month. I just thought I had dandruff and then it started itching worse so I called my best fiend also my hairdresser to take a look at my hair and I was defiantly infested. We got the most of them out that night. I went back over there Friday morning and we put mayo on my hair and let it set for about 30 mins. and then we combed thru it again. We got most of the remaining ones out. I'm still doing mayo on my head every night until I know for a fact that they are gone. The first night we treated we used RID then after that we put mayo on my head and let it set for awhile then washed it out and combed again. The second day we just did the mayo. Yesterday we let my hair rest and today (Monday) we are going to do another mayo treatment and leave it on my hair overnight. Then come Friday again I'm going to go get some more RID and do it again just to be on the safe side. I threw my sheets, hairbrushes, ponytail holders, clips, and everything away. I washed all blankets, vacuumed the floor, couch, mattresses repeatedly, swept the floor and moped. Hopefully this coming up weekend I'll be lice free.

Published: July 16

I am also dealing with the head lice situation. I am so sick of this and feel it will never end. I feel on the verge of a nervous breakdown. My normal pediatrician would not prescribe a med for my daughter so I found one that would. While nothing is proven to kill eggs, I hear Ovide is the best at it. I am willing to give it a try. I have only found 2-4 eggs in her hair today which is a large improvement from the 100 I have had recently. I am due for the 2nd treatment of Rid on Saturday.

Comment from: sharplearningcurve, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I unfortunately made several mistakes with the lice treatment. First, I did not anticipate that it would take a few days minimum to be sure that we were lice-free. I thought I would just use the treatment, comb the hair, clean the house in one day, and the kids could go back to school the next day. Well, I missed several nits, and we relapsed, and the school nurse missed the nits. Unfortunately, we exposed the kids at school to lice again. Please plan on taking a few days to comb out nits. Do not send your kids back to school too soon! Also, when your child is first exposed to lice, be sure to check their hair for at least two weeks after exposure. I trusted the school nurse when she said my child was fine and didn't recheck. Get a lice comb and comb your kids' hair out every few days to make sure they don't have lice. It's easier to treat earlier than later. Also, I found the product LiceMD made combing much easier! I've also heard that vinegar works well to loosen nits and remove them.

Head Lice - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your head lice?
Head Lice - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms experienced with head lice in you or a relative?
Head Lice - Prevention Question: What methods have you used to prevent head lice infestation? What do you tell your children?
Head Lice - Home Remedies Question: Please share effective home remedies for head lice. Who in your household was treated?