Patient Comments: Head Lice - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with head lice infestation (pediculosis).

Comment from: Jenmomof3, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 21

Ovide works for head lice infestation, it is $165.00 a bottle. It kills the lice and nits.

Comment from: sharplearningcurve, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I unfortunately made several mistakes with the lice treatment. First, I did not anticipate that it would take a few days minimum to be sure that we were lice-free. I thought I would just use the treatment, comb the hair, clean the house in one day, and the kids could go back to school the next day. Well, I missed several nits, and we relapsed, and the school nurse missed the nits. Unfortunately, we exposed the kids at school to lice again. Please plan on taking a few days to comb out nits. Do not send your kids back to school too soon! Also, when your child is first exposed to lice, be sure to check their hair for at least two weeks after exposure. I trusted the school nurse when she said my child was fine and didn't recheck. Get a lice comb and comb your kids' hair out every few days to make sure they don't have lice. It's easier to treat earlier than later. Also, I found the product LiceMD made combing much easier! I've also heard that vinegar works well to loosen nits and remove them.

Comment from: Anastacia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have had head lice for a little over a week now, and I've been picking out the nits and bugs in the shower with conditioner and the lice comb that came with the OTC lice medication I bought from the store. I do plan to use the lice medication, but I'm first trying to be sure that the whole house is treated and lice-free before I use it so that I don't waste the lice medication then catch it again. Lice medication is very expensive for a poor pregnant mother such as me! Luckily, my midwife said that it's OK for pregnant women to use lice medications, so at least this doesn't add on to the rest of my everyday worries! This is my very first time ever having head lice and hopefully my last. I'm doing everything in my power to completely get rid of it and never catch it again!

Published: July 16

I am also dealing with the head lice situation. I am so sick of this and feel it will never end. I feel on the verge of a nervous breakdown. My normal pediatrician would not prescribe a med for my daughter so I found one that would. While nothing is proven to kill eggs, I hear Ovide is the best at it. I am willing to give it a try. I have only found 2-4 eggs in her hair today which is a large improvement from the 100 I have had recently. I am due for the 2nd treatment of Rid on Saturday.

Comment from: Emilie, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 01

I have an old-fashioned remedy for getting rid of head lice and their eggs. I have read that adult lice can breathe under water and don't like heat, and the eggs are attached to the hair shaft with a sticky substance. Therefore, if you can suffocate the adult, dissolve the egg attachment to get rid of the eggs and confine the infected hair, you have a good chance to get rid of the infestation. First, heavily coat the infected head with lard, or Crisco, egg whites or a thick, greasy substance. Wrap the infected head/hair firmly and completely with clear plastic wrap (if you like, wrap a towel over the plastic wrap to add natural heat), and leave on for one or two days. When you do this, it will suffocate and heat the lice and loosen the eggs. When you wash the hair, everything will wash down the drain. Of course, include the area cleaning in the house, the car(s) and areas the child came into contact with when you start hair treatment. This treatment is user-friendly and non-chemical or dangerous.

Comment from: Mother of 4, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 01

One of my children had head lice. Even with treatment, it took days to be nit free. Look on the computer to see pictures of nits and adult lice; this is helpful. You must part the hair in small amounts and vigorously run a nit comb through it. I found the metal "medi combs" work the best as they are sturdy. When you think you have it all, do it again. Our younger children could not be treated with lice shampoo, however, we used hair gel and shower caps every night for two weeks and that seemed to work. You must do this consistently to avoid spreading it.

Comment from: Mydavis, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

My daughter and I have head lice. I found a website that gave this advice from hundreds of parents: Wash hair in Denorex (with coal tar) shampoo, rinse, pour Listerine all over the wet hair (to burn and kill lice), squeeze excess out and cover head in a shower cap. (Keep a towel around your shoulders to wipe drips.) Leave the mixture on for two hours, rinse, cover hair in vinegar (to loosen nit glue), cover in shower cap, leave on for one hour, rinse and wash hair in Suave Green Apple shampoo (they hate the scent and deep condition with Suave Coconut conditioner. (Something in the coconut extract repels them.) Then, rinse, comb out bugs and nits with a lice comb, wipe on a tissue and put them in zip-up plastic bags. I sprayed all beds and couches with Lysol and then vacuumed everything as best I could. I am washing all bedding and clothes. I hope this does it. They all said this works.

Head Lice - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your head lice?
Head Lice - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms experienced with head lice in you or a relative?
Head Lice - Prevention Question: What methods have you used to prevent head lice infestation? What do you tell your children?
Head Lice - Home Remedies Question: Please share effective home remedies for head lice. Who in your household was treated?