Patient Comments: Head Injury - Cause

Please describe the cause and outcome of your Head Injury.

Comment from: Dorcas43, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

After my car being hit from behind, I was shaking, silly, and tense. Later at home I had headache, nausea, and double vision. I became very lazy over the next week. Now for the last few days I have a metallic taste in my mouth. I had CAT scan and neck x-rays but nothing's wrong. I assume I"m ok.

Comment from: Beagle1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I fell in my driveway due to ice and my feet came right out from under me. I hit the back of my head and was confused as to why I was outside. I took pain medication and applied ice. I went to bed and woke up with a headache and am very dizzy. My head feels heavy. I'm not sure if there is any concern.

Comment from: Paralysis, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

At the age of 12, I went tubing behind a boat. When I was done, I swam to the back of the boat. I got in the boat and instantly began to feel dizzy. I started to feel numbness in my right side and was unaware of my surroundings. The next thing I knew I was being rushed to the hospital. I awoke a few days later in the hospital and was told that I had a head injury. I was sent to a head trauma hospital, and they found out I had a major stroke caused from the stress of bouncing around on the tube. They described it to me like being in a car accident without a seat belt. I went through rehabilitation, and I have recovered completely.

Comment from: pam, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

Dec.15th I fell and came down on the sharp edge of a sidewalk. I have damaged the Supraocipital nerve, my left eye is swollen as when as the orbital socket. I was tolerating things at first even with the horrible large knot on my head and the sensitivity to my left side of my face. The longer it goes the more confused and blank I am. I try to get focused and I get more agitated and frustrated. The headaches have increased as well as the forehead pain. Is this normal? How long does this usually take to resolve itself? Or how should I approached the Dr. no one seems to be more interested in getting better than me. Or does this just take a lot of time. I am just looking for suggestions not a diagnosis.

Comment from: patient, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I bummed my head at a steel cage last year. My right eye swelled up and I had severe headaches. In December last year I start collapsing by myself. They did a CT scan but there was no bleeding or swelling. At this very moment I can't walk coz my right leg is lame I have shortness of breath and my spinal cord is damage. I'm going to see the neuro specialist in January 2012 and see what they say. I'm just wondering if it is the head injury that's causing this.

Comment from: Omg, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I was hit in the back of my head just over a month ago, my head was bleeding for 4 days. Till this day there is still a big lump.

Published: September 26

My partner died from a brain injury by falling down three steps. He had a blood on the brain and damaged his brain stem, so if he did survive he would not be able to do anything. Even though the hospital staff did all they could to save him he would have been very brain damaged. So if you do get a big bang on the head get it checked out please.

Comment from: obbi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I fell off the side of the staircase going up to the bedrooms on the second floor. Our family dog decided to beat me to the top of the stairs and knocked me off of the side of the stairs about half way up, approximately 6 steps. I flipped and fell head first into I am not sure what. This was 7 days ago. I went to the doctor and he stapled the laceration in my head shut but did not take x-rays of my head or neck. Which was odd because that is where I had the majority of my pain. He had my leg x-rayed because he was suspicious of a broken leg but that was fine. I thought it was odd that he did not investigate my head injury more as I am and have been on warfarin for the last 6 years for heart failure. I am wondering if I should go back in as I still have this nagging headache and stiff neck and nausea in these last few days. The headache is no worse than it was the first day but no better either. Tylenol etc has not helped. I am confused and not sure what to do next.

Head Injury (Brain Injury) - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with a head injury in you or someone you know?
Head Injury - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your head injury?
Head Injury - Children Question: Did your child suffer a head injury? Please share your experience.
Head Injury - Prognosis Question: What was/is the prognosis for someone you know who suffered a head injury?
Head Injury - Prevention Question: Please provide tips and suggestions for preventing a head injury.