Patient Comments: Head Injury - Cause

Please describe the cause and outcome of your Head Injury.

Comment from: Jack, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 27

While some work was being carried out at my home a workman dropped a cast iron drainpipe on my husband's head. He is waiting to see a neurologist next month but he's been left very off balance and can't walk more than a few steps without going off balance, plus he has a constant headache and nausea. This happened about 6 or 7 weeks ago, is it likely to be we hope it only temporary.

Comment from: moundmom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

One year ago I fell and hit the back of my head on the ice. It didn't knock me out however I heard ringing and was disoriented for several minutes. The next morning I woke up with black eyes. I had no insurance so I didn't see a doctor. I'm still waking up with black under my eyes and have headaches twice a week. It is still tender to the touch where I landed. I was hoping that it would just go away.

Comment from: abjbzs, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I was kneeling on the bathroom floor and the shower curtain rod fell and hit me on the top of my head. The pain was bad but didn't last long. I had a slight headache that eventually went away. One week later I still feel a little light headed and now I have a funny metallic taste in my mouth.

Comment from: David, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 12

A friend of mine had an accident about 18 months ago, she had concussion but recovered. Recently she has been getting severe headaches, the hospital found she had starburst clots in her brain, whatever these are! She had an operation about 1 month ago but is now getting headaches again.

Comment from: Dorcas43, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

After my car being hit from behind, I was shaking, silly, and tense. Later at home I had headache, nausea, and double vision. I became very lazy over the next week. Now for the last few days I have a metallic taste in my mouth. I had CAT scan and neck x-rays but nothing's wrong. I assume I"m ok.

Comment from: lynngataylor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I fell and hit my head. I had to get 7 stiches and the area is totally numb.

Comment from: Beagle1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I fell in my driveway due to ice and my feet came right out from under me. I hit the back of my head and was confused as to why I was outside. I took pain medication and applied ice. I went to bed and woke up with a headache and am very dizzy. My head feels heavy. I'm not sure if there is any concern.

Comment from: ali, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 30

My husband hit his head earlier today. He now has lower left side pain, nausea, and cramps in his hands and feet.

Comment from: Paralysis, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

At the age of 12, I went tubing behind a boat. When I was done, I swam to the back of the boat. I got in the boat and instantly began to feel dizzy. I started to feel numbness in my right side and was unaware of my surroundings. The next thing I knew I was being rushed to the hospital. I awoke a few days later in the hospital and was told that I had a head injury. I was sent to a head trauma hospital, and they found out I had a major stroke caused from the stress of bouncing around on the tube. They described it to me like being in a car accident without a seat belt. I went through rehabilitation, and I have recovered completely.

Head Injury (Brain Injury) - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with a head injury in you or someone you know?
Head Injury - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your head injury?
Head Injury - Children Question: Did your child suffer a head injury? Please share your experience.
Head Injury - Prognosis Question: What was/is the prognosis for someone you know who suffered a head injury?
Head Injury - Prevention Question: Please provide tips and suggestions for preventing a head injury.