Patient Comments: Head Injury - Cause

Please describe the cause and outcome of your Head Injury.

Comment from: Grace, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I recently had a minor head injury; this happened five months ago. My neck hurts all the time. Some days there is more pain more than others. The pain increases more in the evening.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I was involved in a car accident 30 years ago. I had a head contusion and was in a coma for 10 days. I have always looked for a support group for people who have suffered such injuries. I take Paxil daily and seem to do OK. My doctor now wants to try Lamictal, and I am hesitant to do so.

Comment from: tupaton, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 22

My grandchild, age 9, was standing on a concrete picnic table when she slipped and fell. She hit her head on the concrete table above and behind one ear, then she hit her head on the ground. Her speech was slurred, but gradually she got better and now, four hours later, she's talking fine. There's no swelling, but she's very moody and tired. She might have been moody and tired anyway, as it's almost bedtime and her close friend leaves town tomorrow.

Comment from: WINDBLOWNHEADACHE, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

The cause of my head injury was a strong wind that whipped the lid of a large trash bin on wheels into the left side of my head above the ear and temple. It bent my glasses out of shape. I have had severe headaches on the left side and top of my skull with agitation, memory loss, nausea, and just not thinking right. There was no lump, but something happened inside. It was a sudden impact. I have finally gotten approval for a CT scan. I do not understand what is going on with these sudden headaches and pain across the top of my head.

Comment from: sewlady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I was hit from behind in my car. I do not remember the accident. I was told my head hit the automatic seatbelt part that slides when you open the door. It was metal. For a couple of weeks I was on auto-pilot. I have had many tests and tried just about every drug including morphine. I still have daily pain, from moderate to severe. Sometimes I have trouble thinking, other times not. I was a lawyer and can't practice anymore because constant pain, lack of concentration and confusion. The accident was almost 9 years ago. HELP!!!!

Comment from: Julie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

I fell on ice 3 1/2 years ago landing on the right side of my head. I was diagnosed with a concussion but didn't think it was a big deal at the time. Since that time I have had a low grade fever (up to 101). I have been to many doctors but none of them have a clue as to what is causing the chronic fever. I also have fatigue, unrestful sleep, weight loss, and memory and cognition problems. I would like to know if anyone else has this problem.

Comment from: eugene, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 13

When I was 13 years of age, I was asleep on the back seat of a car when the driver crashed into a brick bridge. I flew from the back seat and hit my head was crushed by the roof of the car. I was flown to the hospital and had fifty stitches in my head. I now believe if it wasn't for this accident, I wouldn't be a Schizophrenic.

Comment from: Toni, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 01

My son was involved in a motor accident on the 14th of May 2010. He was hit broadside on the drivers side of the car and sustained a shear injury (diffuse axonal injury) to the brain. He was in a coma for 5 days and now is in rehab. His thinking is all mixed up, he is 27 years old and seems to be stuck at the age of 15. I am sure this is common for someone with that severe of an injury. Has anyone else recovered fully from this type of TBI. I am also wondering about support groups in Northern California as I am told he will need 24 hour care when he gets home.

Head Injury (Brain Injury) - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with a head injury in you or someone you know?
Head Injury - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your head injury?
Head Injury - Children Question: Did your child suffer a head injury? Please share your experience.
Head Injury - Prognosis Question: What was/is the prognosis for someone you know who suffered a head injury?
Head Injury - Prevention Question: Please provide tips and suggestions for preventing a head injury.