Patient Comments: Head Injury - Cause

Please describe the cause and outcome of your Head Injury.

Comment from: eugene, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 13

When I was 13 years of age, I was asleep on the back seat of a car when the driver crashed into a brick bridge. I flew from the back seat and hit my head was crushed by the roof of the car. I was flown to the hospital and had fifty stitches in my head. I now believe if it wasn't for this accident, I wouldn't be a Schizophrenic.

Comment from: Toni, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 01

My son was involved in a motor accident on the 14th of May 2010. He was hit broadside on the drivers side of the car and sustained a shear injury (diffuse axonal injury) to the brain. He was in a coma for 5 days and now is in rehab. His thinking is all mixed up, he is 27 years old and seems to be stuck at the age of 15. I am sure this is common for someone with that severe of an injury. Has anyone else recovered fully from this type of TBI. I am also wondering about support groups in Northern California as I am told he will need 24 hour care when he gets home.

Comment from: morgansgrandma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I was a passenger in a car accident 44 days ago. I hit my head extremely hard on the window I bounced off the window then hit it the second time. Since then I have DAILY pain, numbness and tingling in my face. One could literally draw a line down the middle of my face and everything on the right side is sensitive, painful, numb and tingling. My left side of my face feels fine. My Neurologist says that the accident triggered an ongoing migraine. It still hasn't gone away. The pressure behind my ear and eye and the numbness is driving me crazy.

Comment from: worried, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 13

I fell backwards as if you had cut a tree down and hit the back of my head on a hardwood floor. I was out for about 3 minutes. I went to the doctor the next day and had a CT scan. It showed I was okay. I still have ringing in my ears, and my voice vibrates in my head. A week has passed and I was wondering does anyone have comments on this.

Comment from: grandprixdressage, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I got a head injury (subdural hematoma) courtesy of a horse racing accident (I fell from a horse and hit railing with my helmet on, the helmet shattered). I had an immediate post incident seizure, loss of consciousness for 4 days. I suffered multiple other traumas to other areas of the body. Residual effects left were creation of scar tissue to that area of the brain leaving me with seizures.

Comment from: old brain injury, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I had a severe blow to the top of my head with a metal bar more than 20 years ago. My mental status was forever changed by it. Can that blow to the head so long ago have left behind scar tissue that causes my mental problems right to this day? Several MRI's have shown white areas my neurologist thought were signs of MS, but as time has gone by it has not changed. If scarred areas from that blow to the head so long ago are what is causing my problems, can it be removed to restore my mental health?

Head Injury (Brain Injury) - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with a head injury in you or someone you know?
Head Injury - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your head injury?
Head Injury - Children Question: Did your child suffer a head injury? Please share your experience.
Head Injury - Prognosis Question: What was/is the prognosis for someone you know who suffered a head injury?
Head Injury - Prevention Question: Please provide tips and suggestions for preventing a head injury.