Patient Comments: Head Injury - Cause

Please describe the cause and outcome of your Head Injury.

Comment from: WINDBLOWNHEADACHE, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

The cause of my head injury was a strong wind that whipped the lid of a large trash bin on wheels into the left side of my head above the ear and temple. It bent my glasses out of shape. I have had severe headaches on the left side and top of my skull with agitation, memory loss, nausea, and just not thinking right. There was no lump, but something happened inside. It was a sudden impact. I have finally gotten approval for a CT scan. I do not understand what is going on with these sudden headaches and pain across the top of my head.

Comment from: timca, 25-34 Male Published: August 17

I suffered from a major head injury. I am a man from Great Britain and this is my story of what happened to me that changed my life. It all started on January the forth, I was a student studying film production at university. I had a part time job which I was working on new years eve, so I didn't get the chance to go out, celebrate and party like all my university friends were doing so we rescheduled for the forth of January. As the weather was cold (January usually is in Britain!) and very icy. I was unfortunate that night and slipped over on the ice and banged my head. At first I was alright but after a short while my friends started noticing I wasn't making any sense in what I was talking about and acting peculiar so they phoned me for an ambulance (this I have no recollection of). I was then taken to hospital and they said I had suffered from a blood clot (subdural hematoma) due to the accident. I was then induced into a controlled coma which I remained in for the next four months. I recovered fairly well due to circumstances and I was then transferred to a specialist head injury care home. This is where I started realizing what had happened to me, my memory was terrible, I was in a wheelchair, I couldn't walk, I couldn't speak properly and had many other neurologic problems. I was in the care home for about another eight-nine months before I was discharged. In this nine months I relearned practically everything again, to walk, to speak, to interact in conversation, loads of occupational therapy. I now live my life to the full, and I am so happy that I managed to live through such a traumatic experience. I hope this has been of some use to you and thanks for reading.

Comment from: Grace, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I recently had a minor head injury; this happened five months ago. My neck hurts all the time. Some days there is more pain more than others. The pain increases more in the evening.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I was involved in a car accident 30 years ago. I had a head contusion and was in a coma for 10 days. I have always looked for a support group for people who have suffered such injuries. I take Paxil daily and seem to do OK. My doctor now wants to try Lamictal, and I am hesitant to do so.

Comment from: tupaton, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 22

My grandchild, age 9, was standing on a concrete picnic table when she slipped and fell. She hit her head on the concrete table above and behind one ear, then she hit her head on the ground. Her speech was slurred, but gradually she got better and now, four hours later, she's talking fine. There's no swelling, but she's very moody and tired. She might have been moody and tired anyway, as it's almost bedtime and her close friend leaves town tomorrow.

Comment from: sewlady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I was hit from behind in my car. I do not remember the accident. I was told my head hit the automatic seatbelt part that slides when you open the door. It was metal. For a couple of weeks I was on auto-pilot. I have had many tests and tried just about every drug including morphine. I still have daily pain, from moderate to severe. Sometimes I have trouble thinking, other times not. I was a lawyer and can't practice anymore because constant pain, lack of concentration and confusion. The accident was almost 9 years ago. HELP!!!!

Comment from: Julie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

I fell on ice 3 1/2 years ago landing on the right side of my head. I was diagnosed with a concussion but didn't think it was a big deal at the time. Since that time I have had a low grade fever (up to 101). I have been to many doctors but none of them have a clue as to what is causing the chronic fever. I also have fatigue, unrestful sleep, weight loss, and memory and cognition problems. I would like to know if anyone else has this problem.

Head Injury (Brain Injury) - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with a head injury in you or someone you know?
Head Injury - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your head injury?
Head Injury - Children Question: Did your child suffer a head injury? Please share your experience.
Head Injury - Prognosis Question: What was/is the prognosis for someone you know who suffered a head injury?
Head Injury - Prevention Question: Please provide tips and suggestions for preventing a head injury.