Patient Comments: Head Injury - Children

Did your child suffer a head injury? Please share your experience.

Comment from: ikky, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 12

My child suffered a head injury years ago and appeared fine, except a knot formed in the middle of her forehead after several days had passed. Currently she has behavior problems that appear to be schizophrenic and could be a danger! Recent hospitalization has helped some with the depression and anxiety. A recent visit, and with me she appears rational. I am concerned that the childhood trauma was more severe and that the knot may be a hemorrhage that gone undetected.

Comment from: Mom, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 04

Two weeks after my daughter's 2nd birthday we were about to watch Saturday morning cartoons. My parents had a 25 inch television on a stand with rolling castors and double doors. She was in front of the TV when I told her to move away and started to get up to get her. She opened the doors and acting as levers the television fell on top of her covering her whole body, smashing her head against the hardwood floor. I was not 8 ft. from her and I could not get to her in time. Twenty years ago, 25 inch TVs were very large and heavy. I threw the TV across the room and I remember thinking why aren't you crying? She was not even breathing. She suffered a closed head injury and cranial nerve damage. In that one split second all of our lives changed. She coded three times on the way to the hospital. We spent a month in children's hospital. They had a unit where parents could stay with their child. They said she would not improve, after about a year. She is the strongest person I know. She still has to work at staying in control and staying on top of things but she is a beautiful and capable young woman with a three year old daughter! She needs a TBI (traumatic brain injury) specialist and probably always will. It is a nightmare that never ends. The guilt, frustration, anxiety and grief are still present every day and that is just my pain. I cannot even imagine the pain, emotional and physical, that she has experienced. She needs to be more independent. I will not be around forever and I need to know that she will be okay.

Comment from: me, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I banged the front of my head on a wooden floor. It made my head ring and I could not focus.

Head Injury - Cause Question: Please describe the cause and outcome of your Head Injury.
Head Injury (Brain Injury) - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with a head injury in you or someone you know?
Head Injury - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your head injury?
Head Injury - Prognosis Question: What was/is the prognosis for someone you know who suffered a head injury?
Head Injury - Prevention Question: Please provide tips and suggestions for preventing a head injury.