Patient Comments: Head Injury (Brain Injury) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms associated with a head injury in you or someone you know?

Comment from: Ric, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

While I was in the Navy, I was hit in the head with a very large, heavy object. It required 5 stitches. To this day I have headaches that will last only about 5 to 10 seconds, but they almost knock me to my knees. After they are gone I am so weak I can hardly stand it. No one can tell me what kind of headaches I have.

Comment from: Deanie, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 21

My son fell and hit his forehead on the edge of our concrete step 4 days ago. It caused a two inch laceration that required about ten stitches. His forehead swelled up and he looked similar to the cartoon character Beavis and Butthead with a protruding forehead. The emergency room (ER) doctor said he fractured his skull and right eye socket. The laceration was sort of in the middle of his forehead. The next day his right eye swelled shut and now is better and he says his vision is fine but he has two black eyes and underneath them there is a lot of red coloring as well as black and bluish coloring. I have never seen black eyes look like that and I'm a little concerned. The ER did not do a CT scan or MRI on him. They x-rayed his face but that is all. He has some memory loss and for a couple of days, did not remember the fall at all. He says his head doesn't hurt that much now but he is epileptic and I wonder why a CT scan or MRI wasn't done in the first place. I wonder if his neurologist should be contacted and told of this fall to see if more tests are needed. I'm really concerned that he might be bleeding in his brain.

Comment from: Patty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I missed a short step and fell against a cement wall, hitting my left forehead and back top, about one quarter of my head. This was yesterday. I had no immediate symptoms, but a large dent in my head and the pain from the blow. I have been icing it and taking Advil. At present my head is somewhat swollen and sore but I have no other symptoms.

Comment from: Wanda, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I received blunt force trauma to the back of my head. I did not lose consciousness. Five days later I started to sway all over the place, which never stopped till this day. I had a CT scan done but my MRI was clear. By day ten I suffered a migraine that presented itself like a stroke. For 3 months I vomited 10 times daily, went weak and numb throughout the body, had rapid heart rate and trouble breathing. I had extreme sweating sensations of water pouring all through my brain. I deteriorated 5 days later had a CT scan done.

Comment from: Dianer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

A bin of clothes fell on my head top two hours ago. I put an ice pack on my head. I have a little headache but took Tylenol, I have ITP (idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura) and wondering if I should be concerned. The bin weighed about five to ten pounds.

Comment from: lori, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I felt that my brain was rolling around in a sea of liquid after being struck forcibly on the side of the head.

Comment from: warbama24, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I fractured my skull from a hard impact, I was unconscious, and when I became conscious I told my friends I was fine but I started talking out of my head so they called an ambulance. I know I was feeling sick, they strapped me down and I remember asking them to get me off my back because it was causing me to spin and I felt sick. That happened in 2006. I just left the hospital telling my friends I was fine, in reality I wasn"t, this happened out of town. I still have issues, I couldn"t lay down flat for 3 years after my accident, and till today I suffer from vertigo, eye issue, and fatigue. I just try and manage day to day, and I get different diagnoses from doctors, I have just given up.

Head Injury - Cause Question: Please describe the cause and outcome of your Head Injury.
Head Injury - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your head injury?
Head Injury - Children Question: Did your child suffer a head injury? Please share your experience.
Head Injury - Prognosis Question: What was/is the prognosis for someone you know who suffered a head injury?
Head Injury - Prevention Question: Please provide tips and suggestions for preventing a head injury.