Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis

How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?

Comment from: Kat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have been fighting an uphill battle with my "former" family doctor for years. I knew something was wrong, I had anxiety, depression, rashes, hair falling out, weight loss, weight gain, lethargy, extreme fatigue, and those were the mild symptoms. Then came the Vitamin D deficiency, the B12 deficiency, I knew I had a multi-nodular goiter, but according to my doctor, if it wasn"t causing issues and my hormone levels were normal, then I didn"t need to have any additional tests run. Finally, this past year, after being officially diagnosed as Type 2 diabetic and dramatically altering my diet, and really changing my lifestyle, you would think, she must feel a lot better, nope, it made it worse. So, I started researching, basically self-diagnosed, and then changed doctors. Now I'm officially diagnosed with Hashimoto"s thyroiditis, but according to my current endocrinologist, I don"t need treatment, because even though my antibodies are outrageously high, my other levels are normal, so I should just live with all the other symptoms. So now I have a name for what's wrong with me, but still no treatment. Hard to find good health care, it's pretty bad when you have to diagnose yourself, then just get a doctor to confirm it.

Comment from: LisaG, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's this week however I suspect this has been a problem for years, but undiagnosed. I go to a family practice where I see a different doctor or nurse practitioner every time and finally I got one who tested for something different. After reading my chart and my current symptoms, he went immediately for thyroid issues, even though my last blood test showed my T4 staying in the good range. He ordered different blood tests than anyone had before. Most recently I've suffered with tinnitus (ear ringing) for weeks and what feels like mild hearing loss. This followed a string of other ailments with my digestive system over the last 6 months. I have also suffered from severe allergies for the last 7 years. The last two weeks I have been extremely tired and have had a hard time staying awake in the evenings, been extremely sluggish at work and had major brain fog. Other doctors have just dismissed everything as menopausal symptoms. I feel like finally we're on the right track. I have a thyroid ultra sound scheduled for next week. Hopefully forward progress from there.

Comment from: Lstw, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's yesterday after going to the doctors for years; not one doctor ever checked my neck. I moved to another state and now have a new doctor who checked and saw that my lymph nodes were swollen and ordered an ultrasound. The ultrasound found a nodule on my thyroid and after a biopsy I was found to have Hashimoto's. What a relief! I have been having all these symptoms for years and had no idea what had caused them what a relief to now have an answer.

Comment from: NLynn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

About 30 years ago, I went to a new primary care physician. Just by looking at my neck, he could tell I had hypothyroidism. He put me on levothyroxine and I've been on it all this time. I still had bouts of depression and was given an anti-depressant which has helped tremendously. Now in my late fifties, I was just told by my rheumatologist that I have Hashimoto's. He said it is what caused my hypothyroidism to begin with. My symptoms now include joint pain and dry skin. Apparently if you have arthritis, which I do, the Hashimoto's makes it worse. The doctor increased my dose of levothyroxine. My pain and stiffness is bearable, bit I'm sad I can't do things I used to do. I still have fatigue and dry skin. It's hard to say how much of this is simply caused by aging. I'm considering cutting out gluten from my diet. Now I'm on more medications, methotrexate and Plaquenil. I can't tell if they help or not.

Comment from: Birdy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's. I suspected thyroid problems since 2009 when I noticed gaping holes of missing eyelashes. From there it seemed like I had multiple problems one after the other. The hair on my legs and arms stopped growing, my oily skin became very dry, my hair was breaking off, I stopped perspiring under my arms, I had constipation, joint pain, digestive issues (nausea), I had to get a mouth guard for clenching my teeth, I had no sex drive, I was tired and had difficulty staying awake. I have never missed a period but they changed in a way that made me want a hysterectomy. My gynecologist and general doctor told me my blood work was fine (my TSH was 3.65). I went to a hormone specialist and she put me on Armour Thyroid even before my test came back, she was that sure. I've only been on it 2 weeks but my digestive system already feels better. Hoping for much improvement. Thyroid runs in my family. My sister is getting tested now too.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.