Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis

How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?

Comment from: Mrs. Mann, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I was diagnosed 13 months ago with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I noticed after the birth of my baby that my menstrual cycle was very heavy. I was told by family that it was because I had just had my tubes tied. Well it went on for a year without being diagnosed. During this year I was experiencing mood swings, depression, dry skin, hair loss, an extremely heavy menstrual cycle and major fatigue. I was so fed up with the heavy menstrual cycle and cramps that I went to see my gynecologist. She ran some blood tests and the labs showed that I had a vitamin D deficiency and my TSH was 22. I chose an endocrinologist who confirmed the lab results and I was immediately started on levothyroxine. I am now on 0.112mg of Synthroid because my body doesn't respond well to the generic. I have been bouncing back and forth between hyper- and hypothyroidism which I was told was normal for the first full year because my thyroid is still producing thyroid hormones.

Comment from: Isah, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I am a 19 year old female who was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I've loved sleep my whole life but I knew something wasn't right when I could sleep the whole day away and still wake up exhausted and just an overall lack of energy. Along with fatigue I have also been depressed and a little constipated.

Comment from: 42 yr old mum, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

After having my first son at the age of 34 I felt very tired. At first I put it down to just being a new mom, then I noticed I was losing a lot of weight, about 1/2 pound each day. This went on for a month or so, then I felt I had swallowed a nut and kept clearing my throat. I than noticed how thirsty I was all the time. I went to the doctor and within two weeks was seen by a specialist. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's and put on 50 mg. This did nothing at all and it took me a year to get my dose right. I take 150mg/175mg every other day. I know when I'm really tired I take 175mg for a couple of days to put me back on track.

Comment from: lisies, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I've always had bulging eyes, hair loss, sensitive to cold, and tiredness. After gaining 30 pounds over a 2 month summer, my mother finally said I needed to be tested. I went to a specialist, who diagnosed me with Hashimoto Thyroiditis. My goiter was off the charts, super enlarged. It was a shock to everyone because normally it's diagnosed to people from age 45 to 65. I was only 16. Until this day, not much has changed, I still have the same problems. Now with muscle failure and celiac disease. I just take it day by day.

Comment from: erika, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I remember being diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroid disease when I was 22 years old. It was shortly after I had my son. I was always wondering what was wrong with me. I was always depressed and tired. My hair is always thinning out and breaking. I have dark circles under my eyes. I am always cold too! For years I took the medication for it. I remember I went for a check-up and was told I didn't have a single thing wrong for my thyroid anymore. I was exercising every day and eating right, lost weight and seemed really good. When I became pregnant again in 2009 I began to feel all weird and knew it was my hormones. After I delivered my son in 2010, my thyroid levels for really high and my doctor put me on a high dosage of the thyroid medication. I started to feel a little better a couple months later. I feel I'm getting back to my normal after two years of having my son. Taking your meds and eating right and lots of exercise really help to diminish the depression, and fatigue.

Comment from: Ballarat Australia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I have had many symptoms for at least a few years. Three doctors told me I was fine. Then I read Jillian Michaels' book “Master Your Metabolism" and it got me interested in hypothyroidism. I ordered a test from a fourth doctor but the test was half done and she said I was fine. So I took the test to a fifth doctor demanding a proper test, and turn out I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.

Comment from: Amye, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

The first GP told me I was depressed and I should buy a pet or take an art class! The second GP ran tests and found a TSH of 56, undetectable T4 and T3 levels, and an antibody count of 464. I have hypothroidism due to Hashimoto's!

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.