Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis

How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?

Comment from: ALLORA MacMahon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

Thanks to an endocrinologist who simply drew labs, my Hashimoto's thyroiditis went untreated for six years because my labs were normal. It finally took an eye condition for my ophthalmologist to say I needed thyroid hormones. My allergist also agreed! Of course, now I've gained 20 pounds and have permanent damage to my eyes.

Comment from: 57kate75, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I was finally diagnosed a little over a year ago, after telling doctors something was wrong for years. My whole family has dysfunctional thyroids. The endo I was sent to hasn't really done anything since the diagnoses; my family doc is the one monitoring me. I have goiters, extreme fatigue, weight gain, depression and brain fog that is at time scary. Somedays it is a struggle to function normally through the day at my job, I am only 53 years old and at times feel like I am 83. And if that isn't enough, my thyroid levels are what everyone in the medical field thinks is "normal". All I ask is please treat the symptoms not the numbers and maybe I will feel better! Thanks for the opportunity to speak my piece.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I felt very tired and grumpy for a few months and assumed I had low iron levels as I had in the past. The doctor checked my blood and discovered I had Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Comment from: tblauvelt, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

Eight months after I had my daughter I had about two hypoglycemic episodes a week. After a month of trying to regulate my blood sugar on my own through dietary changes I had enough and went to an endocrinologist. Through blood work I was told I had subclinical hypoglycemia. After further testing months later I have been told today that I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Comment from: mona j., 35-44 Female Published: November 09

I was just diagnosed today with Hashimoto's Disease. I have been on Levoxyl for 14 years and about 6 months ago I had to take B12 pills. Now I have to have the injections of B12 now. It was really hard to differentiate between the hypothyroid and the B12 deficiency. My thyroid level was a 2! I have never seen that number ever. The only other concern I have is that my calves and ankles have been swelled for the past 2 months. I'll be at the doctor in three weeks, because she told me to not take my cholesterol pills.

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I have a degree in medical technology so knew I had a thyroid problem. However, I could not convince doctors despite strong family history and overt symptoms (cold, hair loss, fatigue, dry skin and hair, muscle cramps, depression, weight gain). Once the TSH hit the magic number of 5.5, I was put on Synthroid which really improved the conditions. My TPO keeps increasing now up to 332 (normal is <35). My last TSH was 9+ which means Synthroid will have to be increased.

Comment from: Amanda, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 25

My 14 year old daughter has had auto-immune thyroiditis for 2 years. She is now being treated for chronic fatigue syndrome although I am convinced it is all related to thyroiditis. It is misleading because they symptoms are similar i.e. fatigue, leg pains, and headache. However, she has felt nauseous every day or as she puts is feels 'car sick.' Not many thyroid symptoms mention feeling sick. She has been on thyroxin all this time gradually reducing from 250 mcg/day to 150 but doesn't seem to be improving.

Comment from: Di, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

Two years in remission from Lymphoma, chemo, radiation I was still so exhausted, dry skin, excessive tiredness even after 12 hours sleep. A regular blood test picked up low thyroid levels. I had the choice to start some meds now or wait to do another bloods in 6 weeks and an ultrasound to give a baseline. As I don't work, my kids are grown and gone what is another 6 weeks of feeling like this? No problem at all. Glad to find out I wasn't just a lazy slug.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.