Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis

How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?

Comment from: Mouse, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was diagnosed in my early 20's. I was tired, had weight gain and developed a lump in my throat. My general practitioner sent me to a specialist and I was started on Synthroid. I'm now 47 and had a partial thyroid removal about 12 years ago.

Comment from: n.o. body listens, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I am a 52 year old female who is tired, with joint pain, tingling fingers, mental fog and Hashimotos. I went to endocronoglist and she basically said, I was obese, lacked stimulation as a house wife, and may have sleep apneia. I am a housewife because I am too tired and foggy to go back to work. I also had severe period and ended up with a uteraine ablassion to stop the bleeding. I thought surgery would help by reducing the anemia. There was some relief but I hurt, can't sleep, sweat, have body temp of 96 degrees, developed dry scalp, and have brittle nails. The Dr. said just monitor every year. How bad do I have to feel to find relief? I am trying selnium, calcium, magnesium and multi-vitamin. I wish I could type but I am too tired to look up correct spellings.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I am 27 I had the right side of my thyroid removed, and they found out that I had Hashimoto's.

Comment from: rose_pearl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I knew I was tired, but having had previous checks, I was (and still am) fairly certain that it's due to chronic sleep deprivation. I'm not very good at going to bed early. However, when I had a raft of other blood tests done to check my immunity levels for work, my doctor threw in a thyroid function test. I had previously been to the doctor for a slightly enlarged thyroid, after being nagged about it by my sister, a doctor, but an ultrasound and blood tests found nothing. This time my TSH was well above the normal range, and I was found to Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I'm on medication, and not stoked to find out that I'll probably be on it for the rest of my life, but am glad that treatment is available and easy. I'm especially glad my doctor picked this up, as I'm three months pregnant with my third child and I know how low thyroid function can increase the risk of miscarriage and birth defects.

Comment from: lernyville, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's. I've had hypothyroid disease since my 20s. I had a routine blood test done, and that's when it showed I had Hashimoto's. Now I need to see an endocrinologist for more Synthroid, I guess. It seems like the doctors don't really care much about discussing this issue or doing further testing for conditions like RA, celiac, etc. I've been so tired and feel like I was going crazybut I'm getting better.

Comment from: ZarBomba, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 06

No, you aren't depressed. Neither are you crazy or lazy. Get your thyroid tested, because if you find yourselves here, you're likely suffering from Hashimoto's hypothyroidism, and have been for a long time. A gracious thank you to all those who left their story here. You saved my life.

Comment from: dorothy, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: April 05

I have a friend suffering with this. I am trying to find her a doctor to treat her. Since she has Medicaid and Medicare as her insurance, I've found it hard to find her a doctor. Nothing seems to help her and her previous doctor gave her no hope.

Comment from: jacks, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

I was diagnosed with Hasimoto's disease after a rollercoaster of weight gain/loss and depression. I'm feeling much better now that I know my diagnosis. For a long time, people would say, “It's all in your head.” That was the worst part.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.