Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis

How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?

Comment from: erika, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I remember being diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroid disease when I was 22 years old. It was shortly after I had my son. I was always wondering what was wrong with me. I was always depressed and tired. My hair is always thinning out and breaking. I have dark circles under my eyes. I am always cold too! For years I took the medication for it. I remember I went for a check-up and was told I didn't have a single thing wrong for my thyroid anymore. I was exercising every day and eating right, lost weight and seemed really good. When I became pregnant again in 2009 I began to feel all weird and knew it was my hormones. After I delivered my son in 2010, my thyroid levels for really high and my doctor put me on a high dosage of the thyroid medication. I started to feel a little better a couple months later. I feel I'm getting back to my normal after two years of having my son. Taking your meds and eating right and lots of exercise really help to diminish the depression, and fatigue.

Comment from: Ballarat Australia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I have had many symptoms for at least a few years. Three doctors told me I was fine. Then I read Jillian Michaels' book “Master Your Metabolism" and it got me interested in hypothyroidism. I ordered a test from a fourth doctor but the test was half done and she said I was fine. So I took the test to a fifth doctor demanding a proper test, and turn out I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.

Comment from: Amye, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

The first GP told me I was depressed and I should buy a pet or take an art class! The second GP ran tests and found a TSH of 56, undetectable T4 and T3 levels, and an antibody count of 464. I have hypothroidism due to Hashimoto's!

Comment from: KarenZ, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I was diagnosed about a year ago with Hashimoto's thyroiditis after having really bad headaches often, which was about the only symptom I recognized. My doctor referred me to an endocrinologist and I got some blood tests done proving I had Hashimoto's and was promptly put on synthroid.

Comment from: rkmom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

Over the last few years I had been having really heavy menstrual bleeding. My doctor wanted to put in progesterone IUD, which helped for a couple of years. I also have fibroids, so they were unsure whether the fibroids were the cause of the bleeding. Then I began having bouts of crazy bleeding -- once I bled so much I almost passed out. The doctor I saw after that episode had my TSH levels checked and they were high, though not extremely high. She had me follow up in a few months with my regular doctor, and again the results were high. Eventually, almost by accident I got sent to an endocrinologist who had me tested for Hashimoto's and was put on thyroid meds. In retrospect I had been having odd symptoms -- occasional bouts of shoulder pain, sore feet, cold sensitivity, thinning hair, and dry skin. I feel much better now after a few months on medication. Definitely you need to advocate for yourself if you think something is wrong--it seemed to me that even the endocrinologist goes by the numbers on the test results and not by symptoms. Everyone kept telling me I was going through menopause, but menopause alone wasn't causing all my symptoms!

Comment from: DB, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

After 10 plus years of swings and roundabouts - finally on thyroid meds. Swings of fatigue, then hyper anxiety, heart palpitations hair loss, infertility, gall bladder, ectopic pregnancy, doctor put me on anti-depressant. Depression meds almost caused divorce, my TSH always relatively low. Diagnosed with very high Hashimoto's thyroiditis antibodies 5 years ago - still nothing done. Then fatigue, weight gain, swollen thyroid and slight raise in TSH and lowered T3 T4, finally on Synthroid, this is just the beginning but now I can affirm I am not crazy! Doctors, please go by symptoms and not TSH alone! I am an athlete and I know my body! Nobody wants this electively!

Comment from: headagainsthesky, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I was 19 when I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's. It presented with insomnia, anxiety attacks, and the feeling of something pressing against my throat. The labs that were run showed no inconsistencies in my thyroid levels and only seemed to cause doctors to try to think of other options. Eventually they began with ultrasounds in which they discovered a 2.7 cm nodule on the left lobe of my thyroid.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.