Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis

How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?

Comment from: lernyville, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's. I've had hypothyroid disease since my 20s. I had a routine blood test done, and that's when it showed I had Hashimoto's. Now I need to see an endocrinologist for more Synthroid, I guess. It seems like the doctors don't really care much about discussing this issue or doing further testing for conditions like RA, celiac, etc. I've been so tired and feel like I was going crazybut I'm getting better.

Comment from: ZarBomba, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 06

No, you aren't depressed. Neither are you crazy or lazy. Get your thyroid tested, because if you find yourselves here, you're likely suffering from Hashimoto's hypothyroidism, and have been for a long time. A gracious thank you to all those who left their story here. You saved my life.

Comment from: dorothy, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: April 05

I have a friend suffering with this. I am trying to find her a doctor to treat her. Since she has Medicaid and Medicare as her insurance, I've found it hard to find her a doctor. Nothing seems to help her and her previous doctor gave her no hope.

Comment from: jacks, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

I was diagnosed with Hasimoto's disease after a rollercoaster of weight gain/loss and depression. I'm feeling much better now that I know my diagnosis. For a long time, people would say, “It's all in your head.” That was the worst part.

Comment from: Mrs. Mann, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I was diagnosed 13 months ago with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I noticed after the birth of my baby that my menstrual cycle was very heavy. I was told by family that it was because I had just had my tubes tied. Well it went on for a year without being diagnosed. During this year I was experiencing mood swings, depression, dry skin, hair loss, an extremely heavy menstrual cycle and major fatigue. I was so fed up with the heavy menstrual cycle and cramps that I went to see my gynecologist. She ran some blood tests and the labs showed that I had a vitamin D deficiency and my TSH was 22. I chose an endocrinologist who confirmed the lab results and I was immediately started on levothyroxine. I am now on 0.112mg of Synthroid because my body doesn't respond well to the generic. I have been bouncing back and forth between hyper- and hypothyroidism which I was told was normal for the first full year because my thyroid is still producing thyroid hormones.

Comment from: Isah, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I am a 19 year old female who was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I've loved sleep my whole life but I knew something wasn't right when I could sleep the whole day away and still wake up exhausted and just an overall lack of energy. Along with fatigue I have also been depressed and a little constipated.

Comment from: 42 yr old mum, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

After having my first son at the age of 34 I felt very tired. At first I put it down to just being a new mom, then I noticed I was losing a lot of weight, about 1/2 pound each day. This went on for a month or so, then I felt I had swallowed a nut and kept clearing my throat. I than noticed how thirsty I was all the time. I went to the doctor and within two weeks was seen by a specialist. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's and put on 50 mg. This did nothing at all and it took me a year to get my dose right. I take 150mg/175mg every other day. I know when I'm really tired I take 175mg for a couple of days to put me back on track.

Comment from: lisies, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I've always had bulging eyes, hair loss, sensitive to cold, and tiredness. After gaining 30 pounds over a 2 month summer, my mother finally said I needed to be tested. I went to a specialist, who diagnosed me with Hashimoto Thyroiditis. My goiter was off the charts, super enlarged. It was a shock to everyone because normally it's diagnosed to people from age 45 to 65. I was only 16. Until this day, not much has changed, I still have the same problems. Now with muscle failure and celiac disease. I just take it day by day.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.