Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis

How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?

Comment from: thankfullpn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I was fortunate that because of my family's strong history of thyroid problems, father had graves disease, mother has hypothyroid and an Aunt has HT, I was tested yearly starting at a very young age. I never had symptoms my blood work just suddenly came back abnormal when I was 25. I do on occasion have some symptoms but have been well controlled on a low dose of levothyroxin. I have thyroid ultrasounds about every 3 years to monitor my nodules. My daughter is also closely monitored and so far so good. She is expecting her first child in August and they will be watching her thyroid very closely during and after her pregnancy. Know your family history, it is so important..

Comment from: TX&VA, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I started feeling something in my throat. It was hot, tender and in the night felt like it pushed upward. Nothing was found during an office visit. I was sure something was there so I insisted that my doctor schedule some type of test to see what was there. They found a tumor on the right lobe of my thyroid. It was very large. So I had surgery, and they found cancer in the right side only. I still have the left lobe. However, the surgeon told me the day after the operation that I had hashimoto's thyroiditis. He said the entire area was full of inflammation and he understood why I felt like it was hot and tender. I still have issues, soreness; I do not understand why the left side was not removed.

Published: January 19

I started breaking out in hives that started on the bottom of my feet and hands and then worked their way up the backs of my legs, back, arms, and face. The outbreaks would last anywhere from weeks to months. I saw so many doctors and had numerous allergy testing. Finally, I found a doctor that tested my thyroid antibody level and found it was extremely elevated. The hive outbreaks always coincide with my levels being elevated. Unfortunately, I was told nothing could treat it. Allegra does help with the hives. Other symptoms include excess sleepiness, dry brittle nails, cold feeling, heavy periods, low energy, mild depression, and I do have higher cholesterol. My father has hypothyroidism and he told me his mother had a goiter.

Comment from: Puzzled......, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I am missing half my thyroid and no surgery! My Mother died at the age of 45 years with primary biliary cirrhosis. I was 8. I was a premature baby at 4 lb., only girl and youngest of 4. I was found to have goiter on my thyroid at age 27. I have taken Armour 2 gr since. I have always been sickly! In 2013 I couldn't get 2 gr Armour so the doctor changed it to 1 gr twice a day. Sometime later I went downhill. I had all kinds of problems. I couldn't walk across the room, my chest would stop me in my tracks. I thought I was having a heart attack. Doctor did a heart catheterization. All was ok, in good shape. Something good, but that didn't help the symptom! Since it wasn't my heart, it must be in my head; stress etc.

Comment from: AlwayzSmiling, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I ended up having a period that lasted a total of 19 days, with a few days off here and there. I was passing these huge clots, and had to change my pad several times within an hour. I also had this horrible pressure in my pelvic region. Finally went to the ER one day when I continuously passed clots longer than an hour. I found out I was anemic, and told to follow up with a GYN. I had an endometrial biopsy, sonohysterogram and hysteroscopy with a D&C done in a matter of a few weeks. Found out on Dec. 2, 2014 that I have endometrial cancer. A total hysterectomy is scheduled for Dec. 31st, 2014. I am 39 years young.

Comment from: deb5734, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I just had my anti thyroglobulin level checked and it was 787! My thyroglobulin AB is 233.41. My T4 free and TSH are normal. I also have a nodule in my thyroid. I also have scar tissue (no reason given).

Comment from: ktp2131, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

It took 20 years of suffering before I got a Hashimoto's diagnosis (both my daughters got diagnosed in their 20s). I have been on medication for 20 years, but visited a new doctor today who told me I couldn't have it because a thyroid nodule biopsy cannot be used to diagnose. If I've learned anything in all these years it is that you know your body and keep looking until you find a medical professional who will listen to what you are telling her/him.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.