Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis

How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?

Comment from: TX&VA, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I started feeling something in my throat. It was hot, tender and in the night felt like it pushed upward. Nothing was found during an office visit. I was sure something was there so I insisted that my doctor schedule some type of test to see what was there. They found a tumor on the right lobe of my thyroid. It was very large. So I had surgery, and they found cancer in the right side only. I still have the left lobe. However, the surgeon told me the day after the operation that I had hashimoto's thyroiditis. He said the entire area was full of inflammation and he understood why I felt like it was hot and tender. I still have issues, soreness; I do not understand why the left side was not removed.

Published: January 19

I started breaking out in hives that started on the bottom of my feet and hands and then worked their way up the backs of my legs, back, arms, and face. The outbreaks would last anywhere from weeks to months. I saw so many doctors and had numerous allergy testing. Finally, I found a doctor that tested my thyroid antibody level and found it was extremely elevated. The hive outbreaks always coincide with my levels being elevated. Unfortunately, I was told nothing could treat it. Allegra does help with the hives. Other symptoms include excess sleepiness, dry brittle nails, cold feeling, heavy periods, low energy, mild depression, and I do have higher cholesterol. My father has hypothyroidism and he told me his mother had a goiter.

Comment from: ktp2131, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

It took 20 years of suffering before I got a Hashimoto's diagnosis (both my daughters got diagnosed in their 20s). I have been on medication for 20 years, but visited a new doctor today who told me I couldn't have it because a thyroid nodule biopsy cannot be used to diagnose. If I've learned anything in all these years it is that you know your body and keep looking until you find a medical professional who will listen to what you are telling her/him.

Comment from: Mouse, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was diagnosed in my early 20's. I was tired, had weight gain and developed a lump in my throat. My general practitioner sent me to a specialist and I was started on Synthroid. I'm now 47 and had a partial thyroid removal about 12 years ago.

Comment from: n.o. body listens, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I am a 52 year old female who is tired, with joint pain, tingling fingers, mental fog and Hashimotos. I went to endocronoglist and she basically said, I was obese, lacked stimulation as a house wife, and may have sleep apneia. I am a housewife because I am too tired and foggy to go back to work. I also had severe period and ended up with a uteraine ablassion to stop the bleeding. I thought surgery would help by reducing the anemia. There was some relief but I hurt, can't sleep, sweat, have body temp of 96 degrees, developed dry scalp, and have brittle nails. The Dr. said just monitor every year. How bad do I have to feel to find relief? I am trying selnium, calcium, magnesium and multi-vitamin. I wish I could type but I am too tired to look up correct spellings.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I am 27 I had the right side of my thyroid removed, and they found out that I had Hashimoto's.

Comment from: rose_pearl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I knew I was tired, but having had previous checks, I was (and still am) fairly certain that it's due to chronic sleep deprivation. I'm not very good at going to bed early. However, when I had a raft of other blood tests done to check my immunity levels for work, my doctor threw in a thyroid function test. I had previously been to the doctor for a slightly enlarged thyroid, after being nagged about it by my sister, a doctor, but an ultrasound and blood tests found nothing. This time my TSH was well above the normal range, and I was found to Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I'm on medication, and not stoked to find out that I'll probably be on it for the rest of my life, but am glad that treatment is available and easy. I'm especially glad my doctor picked this up, as I'm three months pregnant with my third child and I know how low thyroid function can increase the risk of miscarriage and birth defects.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.