Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis

How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I had an initial appointment with a psychiatrist for depression, lethargy, low fever and agitation. The doctor took blood tests. Upon review of the tests, the psychiatrist referred me to an endocrinologist who diagnosed me with Hashimoto's. This diagnosis pulled together years of various undiagnosed symptoms and treatments for female problems.

Comment from: mdl, 35-44 Female Published: June 01

I was diagnosed with postpartum Hashimoto's thyroiditis with a goiter at 37 years old. My symptoms included fatigue, weight gain, an unproductive cough for almost a year, leg pressure, blood shot eyes all the time, and extremely itchy extremities. Listen to your body. My doctors told me I was fine, and I knew that I wasn't. Keep searching if you believe there is something not right, especially if you know your own body.

Comment from: Cali, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I'm a 51-year-old female recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroid disease. My symptoms are: lack of energy, hair loss, constipation, and headaches. I'm usually very active and healthy. I thought I had bad menopause. I am now on a gluten-free diet and trying to take medication to get better, but I have had some problems with some medications. It seems as if the diet is helping some though.

Comment from: L. A., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

Well I haven't been "officially diagnosed with Hashimoto's although my sister has. The odd thing is we were both having similar symptoms at the same time 10 years ago and we didn't even realize it. The worst symptoms for me were anxiety, panic and depression, with unexplained rashes that would last for a week sometimes longer. For her it was more extreme tiredness, weight gain, and " brain fog". Unfortunately for me, I went undiagnosed for years and even now only been diagnosed with just hypo. What finally caused my diagnoses was of all things "a kidney stone" which was huge and even caused my M.D. to shutter. When the doc sat me down to tell me the results of my tsh tests I almost broke down crying at the sheer relief. Only because all those years I knew something just wasn't right but was told by other docs "Everything looks normal." The point is we as humans know our own bodies, and if something doesn't feel right, don't be ashamed or to frustrated to get a proper diagnosis. Even if it takes multiple trips to different docs to finally validate what you knew all along. I plan on discussing Hashimoto's with my MD and hopefully she will be willing to at least listen and do the necessary test.

Comment from: Hurts in Va. Beach, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I had a pea sized knot on my right lope. My family doctor was giving a check up so I could start school in 2001. He had been watching the knot and said it had changed in size. So he sent me for test. They found knots on both sides and the one showed up funny. So they sent me to another doctor an ENT. He said lets watch it and I said let's take it out. So we took it out and it was cancer. They should of taken both sides out. I have Hashimoto's too. So Now I am having a lot of problems with my left side.

Comment from: mommyof3, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I am 22 and have Hashimotos. I have had basically every symptom associated with this illness. Irregular periods, migraines, cold intolerance, hair loss, dry hair, trouble concentrating, fatigue, cardiac dysrythmia, etc. I have seen different specialist for 2 years now and only got a firm diagnosis 2 months ago but still no meds. I now have to have a CT scan of my head, ultrasound of my thyroid, and ultrasound of my heart and possibly an EKG. This is not something that should be taken lightly I have pretty severe symptoms and it interferes with my daily life. I have 3 children and can't afford to be brought down by this. I am seeing another DR to see if I will FINALLY be prescribed some meds. Hoping they can finally fix this.

Comment from: thankfullpn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I was fortunate that because of my family's strong history of thyroid problems, father had graves disease, mother has hypothyroid and an Aunt has HT, I was tested yearly starting at a very young age. I never had symptoms my blood work just suddenly came back abnormal when I was 25. I do on occasion have some symptoms but have been well controlled on a low dose of levothyroxin. I have thyroid ultrasounds about every 3 years to monitor my nodules. My daughter is also closely monitored and so far so good. She is expecting her first child in August and they will be watching her thyroid very closely during and after her pregnancy. Know your family history, it is so important..

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.