Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis

How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?

Comment from: Joanie425, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's yesterday. I've been told I had a hyperthyroid for the past six years. It runs in my family so I didn't think much of it. I was on Methamazole for five years. My previous doctor told me to stop, so I did. The main problem I had was/is the puffy buggy eyes, goiter, and droopy eyelid. From September 2010 - June of 2011 I kept breaking out in to hives. I was told it was stress and I had anxiety. I was put on antidepressants for about four months. They helped a little. I started noticing my eyelid getting a little droopy again so I went to a new endocrinologist after a year of not taking any medication. I had an ultrasound of my thyroid, a thyroid scan and uptake, and a biopsy. I do have a nodule on the right lobe of my thyroid - they were testing for cancerous cells. I don't have cancer. Yesterday I was told I have Hashimoto's. My doctor didn't put me on any medications. She said I'm still in hyperthyroid mode and eventually it'll burn itself out. Could be six months, could be three years. When it finally does, THEN I'll be put on hormone to level out my thyroid.

Comment from: ames03, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I suffer from hashimotos thyrioditis and it was diagnosed when I was five, it is rare in children and I inherited the condition from both my parents. I have been on synthriod since age six and spent a lot of time in and out of the hospital as a child with this condition. I stopped growing and had several other issues that affected my immune system including juvenile RA. I am lucky my mother noticed the symptoms early as it could have been far worse. I know when my levels are off because I feel tired and cold and my joints hurt. However i have never had a weight issue in fact I have been under weight my entire life so don't think it is not possible to have this and be underweight. It's a simple blood test and to treat as an adult once your levels are stable is pretty easy. Know it can take time to stabilize your levels over many months and if you have it, and your children start to have immune issues ask them to check their levels to really it's a simple blood test and may help them get on a healthy lifestyle with less immune system issues.

Comment from: Nutritionfreak, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

My disease was found when I made an appointment with an endocrinologist. I was having issues that I had previously talked to my family doctor about. I was told that I was having symptoms that were directly related to me getting older. I am only 37. Just about 4 years ago I started fighting with insomnia, loss of energy, and weight gain. I then had bouts of stomach disorders that were extremely painful from constipation. I also had dizzy spells that were then blamed on allergies. I put on 40 pounds in 4 years, and worked out 3 days a week and sometimes 4. I always ate healthy, and went on several diets including Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers. I ended up gaining and feeling worse. I could not understand it since I work as a manager at retail and I am moving on my feet constantly for 10 to 12 hours. I did not understand why I was still gaining weight. I also had times in the morning where I just felt awful and thought I had a fever. My temperature was 94. I thought my thermometer was broke so I tested on my son. He was normal, but I was not. I now after being healthy most of my life have monitored my blood sugar because they now say I am pre diabetic.

Comment from: Moni, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I was diagnosed a couple of days ago. I work at a Doctor's office and had mentioned to our fnp how a strong onset of palpitations followed by severe sweat spells were waking me almost every day. Before my night sweats began, I had experienced palpitation and severe fatigue for a little over a year.. Blaming it on the Arizona heat I deprived myself from going out to lunch and getting exposed to elevated temperatures. It only seemed to help a little. I recently had blood drawn for TSH followed by a thyroid ultrasound... To make my story short, I will be having a total removal of my thyroid followed by a session of radiation.

Comment from: anonymously, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I am 31 now and was diagnosed with Hashimoto's when I was 29. I had actually been showing the symptoms since high school, fatigue, irregular periods, cramps, dry skin, excessive shedding of hair, anxiety, and weight gain. Throughout that time the various doctors diagnosed me with general anxiety disorder; general fatigue due to school, work and sports; irregular periods due to sports, dry skin and hair due to Eczema, the weather and the pool, and being overweight due to diet. I have been on thyroid medicine for the last 2 years and the biggest difference I noticed was less dry skin and shedding and not feeling like I had to constantly push myself or run on adrenaline. I still struggle with my weight and continue to have irregular periods but I am hoping that with time these will level out.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.