Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis

How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?

Comment from: photopal67, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis after probably 10 years of symptoms. My GP had even had me on Synthroid at one point but I was taken off of it as my levels were moving too low toward hyperthyroid. I had been feeling worse and worse such as tired, foggy brain, lots of joint pain and was really getting down in the dumps about all of it. It was only when I had to have an MRI for an issue with my neck that the radiologist noticed what he thought were nodules on my thyroid. Finally, after being referred to an endocrinologist I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's and I am waiting for blood work to return to start treatment. I couldn't be more happy with finally having an answer for how I am feeling!

Comment from: Earthhollow, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

During and after radiation for breast cancer, I experienced weight gain, fatigue, depression, memory issues and a raspy throat. At first I attributed these symptoms to the radiation. When the symptoms did not resolve, I went to my PCP for help with the weight gain. When I mentioned that my throat was raspy, my PCP ordered blood tests, suspecting a thyroid issue. I began to research thyroid disease and was absolutely convinced that I had hypothyroidism. When my blood levels came back within normal range, I was shocked and asked for additional tests. I went to four doctors before my Hashimoto's was diagnosed. Also, I had nodes that appeared to be malignant. My Hashimoto's was diagnosed only as a result of my persistence and determination to get relief from the symptoms of hypothyroidism. I underwent a total thyroidectomy a week ago and began taking Levothyroxine. I hope this brings relief to the symptoms.

Comment from: Mee-mee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I thought I was having cardiac problems. I had some chest pain and shortness of breath. I was feeling wiped out with no energy at all. I was extremely fatigued, not sleeping well, with extreme brain fog. I had a very sharp doctor who not only did an EKG, but lots of blood work. It turns out to be Hashimoto's thyroiditis. An ultrasound revealed nodules of which one might be biopsied if the next ultrasound does not show a reduction in size after being started on Synthroid. Such a slow process. I started on 25s then after 2 months up to 50s and then started feeling much worse after six weeks the doctor increased me to 75s. I was supposed to take it for one week then into 100s. Usually they like you to move up slower than that, but my labs became worse. My antibodies were over 700. I have never felt so terrible in my life. I was always so bubbly, now I can barely drag myself out of bed each day. Terrible weight gain too!

Comment from: tom, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

Thanks for the info, my sister called last week to let me know this is what she has, I have been dealing with Lupus for the past 15 years and I am a guy, recently I have had so many throat problems with no help from all the test and after my sister called last week I now realize most of the symptoms I have are related to this. Finally got the VA to realize something is wrong and hope to get in and see them in the next couple weeks. My eyes just started getting puffy and I have been so weak in the muscles lately VA did blood test and found nothing, now with this new info I am going back and hopefully they can get this under control. It is in my family history too though I am the only male who has had lupus. Thanks for the info.

Comment from: Joanie425, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's yesterday. I've been told I had a hyperthyroid for the past six years. It runs in my family so I didn't think much of it. I was on Methamazole for five years. My previous doctor told me to stop, so I did. The main problem I had was/is the puffy buggy eyes, goiter, and droopy eyelid. From September 2010 - June of 2011 I kept breaking out in to hives. I was told it was stress and I had anxiety. I was put on antidepressants for about four months. They helped a little. I started noticing my eyelid getting a little droopy again so I went to a new endocrinologist after a year of not taking any medication. I had an ultrasound of my thyroid, a thyroid scan and uptake, and a biopsy. I do have a nodule on the right lobe of my thyroid - they were testing for cancerous cells. I don't have cancer. Yesterday I was told I have Hashimoto's. My doctor didn't put me on any medications. She said I'm still in hyperthyroid mode and eventually it'll burn itself out. Could be six months, could be three years. When it finally does, THEN I'll be put on hormone to level out my thyroid.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.