Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis

How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?

Comment from: Birdy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's. I suspected thyroid problems since 2009 when I noticed gaping holes of missing eyelashes. From there it seemed like I had multiple problems one after the other. The hair on my legs and arms stopped growing, my oily skin became very dry, my hair was breaking off, I stopped perspiring under my arms, I had constipation, joint pain, digestive issues (nausea), I had to get a mouth guard for clenching my teeth, I had no sex drive, I was tired and had difficulty staying awake. I have never missed a period but they changed in a way that made me want a hysterectomy. My gynecologist and general doctor told me my blood work was fine (my TSH was 3.65). I went to a hormone specialist and she put me on Armour Thyroid even before my test came back, she was that sure. I've only been on it 2 weeks but my digestive system already feels better. Hoping for much improvement. Thyroid runs in my family. My sister is getting tested now too.

Comment from: xhiner, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I suffered from extreme cold intolerance. I would wear a winter coat over my winter pajamas to bed in August and would still be so cold that I would shake. A couple of doctors tested my thyroid but not for antibodies. The last doctor said that my antibodies were too numerous to count, I have three sisters that have problems with their thyroid.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

Having a family history of strokes, I signed up for a Lifeline Screening which included a carotid artery ultrasound to check for impaired blood flow; this screening detected a cyst on my left thyroid, and I was advised to consult my primary care physician. After other tests and scans including a needle biopsy, he ultimately diagnosed me with Hashimoto's. Had it not been for this ultrasound, I'd never have known I had Hashimoto's---all my TSH level tests on routine blood tests have always been normal---and while I have symptoms (frequently cold when others aren't, weight gain with inability to lose despite exercise or diet changes, et al), I would've ascribed it to normal aging.

Comment from: Mela, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I gave birth almost five months ago. When I went back to my OB/GYN for my 3 to 4 month check-up, I mentioned to him that I was tired, but chalking it up to having three children, with one being an infant. He decided to run tests just to be on the safe side. He ran Lymes, Thyroid, and Mono test. A few days later I received a call from his nurse saying that he wanted me to see my primary due to abnormal results, one being the Thyroid test. I saw my primary and I had him stumped. He said if he had to guess by the looks of my labs I may have Hashimoto's. He ran 20+ blood tests on me. He ran every thyroid test possible. He called me up a few days later and said he was right. All my blood tests lead to Hashimoto's and he wants me to follow up with an endocrinologists.

Comment from: Cvet, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I'm 67, when I was about 20 years younger doctor found enlarged thyroid. Five years later I was having symptoms of hyperthyroidism, then hypo, and I could not understand why I was so full of energy for a week or two then flat on my face tired. Doctor tested my thyroid hormone level and is ok on the border. I have been struggling for years to find out what is wrong with me. Reading many medical books on thyroid I have concluded that I suffer from Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Now I am really suffering with all the symptom I have been mentioning here, I feel terrible feeling like a drowning person from day to day struggle to keep my head above depression, but the pain in my muscles have increased and all over my body, and weight gain which I never had problem. My hair also has turned so white in the last year, coarse and thin, my concentration is bad, and there are effects on my memory and function overall since I am so tired even to breathe. My sleep is just few hours, but I am sleepy all the time and can't sleep.

Comment from: Deen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I knew something was wrong for at least 6 years after chemotherapy treatments. The family doctors always said my TSH was in the normal range. My face was puffy, I had fluid retention, very mild depression, elevated cholesterol, snoring, bouts of laryngitis and weight gain of approximately 5Kgs. After a lot of research I found a doctor who uses traditional medical practice as well as naturopathy. They seem to be more on top of the latest research on the new TSH levels. Well, she put me on natural desiccated hormone therapy and in one week there was a big difference in how I was feeling. My weight is down and I sleep so much better.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.