Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis

How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?

Comment from: ANOMEl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I tested positive for TPO (thyroid peroxidase), level is 49 range is 0 to 9. My TSH is 2.15 and T4 is 1.15. I think my endocrinologist will not treat this although I haven't discussed the results yet, but basically he told me my symptoms are not thyroid. Others said this is Hashimoto's thyroiditis and it will get worse. I have a lot of the symptoms but not weight gain, although I do have fat pads under my arms and chin. I have type 1 diabetes also. The worst is the fatigue and brain fog and constipation. I'm feeling more fatigued each day. I am hoping if I can find someone to treat it I will feel better.

Comment from: Jerry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

I just got diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I was told by my doctor to wait for a few months to see if my totals will level off. Dealing with the military health care system really does make me a bit nervous. I just hope my HCP (health care professional) is as good as I think she is. I've only had the sleepless and aches and pain of the joints of which none are that extreme.

Comment from: y2kbytz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I feel so sorry for folks that get doctors that hang tight to test numbers and not to symptoms. When my thyroid looks normal and my TSH looks too suppressed, I still need thyroid hormones. And luckily I got a great doctor to think outside of the stuffy collared box! I use Armor Thyroid, because the synthetics don't make me well. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and I'm sure that's what made my thyroid go berserk. Anyway, I think my Hashimoto's has also hurt my ability to absorb B12. I had itchy skin, burning red hot rashes, swelling all over by body, hands, feet, and lips and it's all related to the B12 issue that is caused by an auto-immune issue. The good news, I got a doctor to read the test results, but treat my symptoms. By doing so, I can sleep, lose weight, and I'm feeling so good. My fibromyalgia is tame now and I'm so much happier than I use to be and I take B12 shots.

Comment from: Puzzled......, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I am missing half my thyroid and no surgery! My Mother died at the age of 45 years with primary biliary cirrhosis. I was 8. I was a premature baby at 4 lb., only girl and youngest of 4. I was found to have goiter on my thyroid at age 27. I have taken Armour 2 gr since. I have always been sickly! In 2013 I couldn't get 2 gr Armour so the doctor changed it to 1 gr twice a day. Sometime later I went downhill. I had all kinds of problems. I couldn't walk across the room, my chest would stop me in my tracks. I thought I was having a heart attack. Doctor did a heart catheterization. All was ok, in good shape. Something good, but that didn't help the symptom! Since it wasn't my heart, it must be in my head; stress etc.

Comment from: NLynn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

About 30 years ago, I went to a new primary care physician. Just by looking at my neck, he could tell I had hypothyroidism. He put me on levothyroxine and I've been on it all this time. I still had bouts of depression and was given an anti-depressant which has helped tremendously. Now in my late fifties, I was just told by my rheumatologist that I have Hashimoto's. He said it is what caused my hypothyroidism to begin with. My symptoms now include joint pain and dry skin. Apparently if you have arthritis, which I do, the Hashimoto's makes it worse. The doctor increased my dose of levothyroxine. My pain and stiffness is bearable, bit I'm sad I can't do things I used to do. I still have fatigue and dry skin. It's hard to say how much of this is simply caused by aging. I'm considering cutting out gluten from my diet. Now I'm on more medications, methotrexate and Plaquenil. I can't tell if they help or not.

Comment from: Birdy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's. I suspected thyroid problems since 2009 when I noticed gaping holes of missing eyelashes. From there it seemed like I had multiple problems one after the other. The hair on my legs and arms stopped growing, my oily skin became very dry, my hair was breaking off, I stopped perspiring under my arms, I had constipation, joint pain, digestive issues (nausea), I had to get a mouth guard for clenching my teeth, I had no sex drive, I was tired and had difficulty staying awake. I have never missed a period but they changed in a way that made me want a hysterectomy. My gynecologist and general doctor told me my blood work was fine (my TSH was 3.65). I went to a hormone specialist and she put me on Armour Thyroid even before my test came back, she was that sure. I've only been on it 2 weeks but my digestive system already feels better. Hoping for much improvement. Thyroid runs in my family. My sister is getting tested now too.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.