Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis

How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?

Comment from: traci, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

Sudden onset of horrible sore throat, but I also have cough, headache and body aches, though no fever. I have tons of sinus drainage, and constantly having to cough and swallow. Strep Is positive, and flu negative.

Comment from: ANOMEl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I tested positive for TPO (thyroid peroxidase), level is 49 range is 0 to 9. My TSH is 2.15 and T4 is 1.15. I think my endocrinologist will not treat this although I haven't discussed the results yet, but basically he told me my symptoms are not thyroid. Others said this is Hashimoto's thyroiditis and it will get worse. I have a lot of the symptoms but not weight gain, although I do have fat pads under my arms and chin. I have type 1 diabetes also. The worst is the fatigue and brain fog and constipation. I'm feeling more fatigued each day. I am hoping if I can find someone to treat it I will feel better.

Comment from: Jerry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

I just got diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I was told by my doctor to wait for a few months to see if my totals will level off. Dealing with the military health care system really does make me a bit nervous. I just hope my HCP (health care professional) is as good as I think she is. I've only had the sleepless and aches and pain of the joints of which none are that extreme.

Comment from: LisaG, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's this week however I suspect this has been a problem for years, but undiagnosed. I go to a family practice where I see a different doctor or nurse practitioner every time and finally I got one who tested for something different. After reading my chart and my current symptoms, he went immediately for thyroid issues, even though my last blood test showed my T4 staying in the good range. He ordered different blood tests than anyone had before. Most recently I've suffered with tinnitus (ear ringing) for weeks and what feels like mild hearing loss. This followed a string of other ailments with my digestive system over the last 6 months. I have also suffered from severe allergies for the last 7 years. The last two weeks I have been extremely tired and have had a hard time staying awake in the evenings, been extremely sluggish at work and had major brain fog. Other doctors have just dismissed everything as menopausal symptoms. I feel like finally we're on the right track. I have a thyroid ultra sound scheduled for next week. Hopefully forward progress from there.

Comment from: Lstw, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's yesterday after going to the doctors for years; not one doctor ever checked my neck. I moved to another state and now have a new doctor who checked and saw that my lymph nodes were swollen and ordered an ultrasound. The ultrasound found a nodule on my thyroid and after a biopsy I was found to have Hashimoto's. What a relief! I have been having all these symptoms for years and had no idea what had caused them what a relief to now have an answer.

Comment from: NLynn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

About 30 years ago, I went to a new primary care physician. Just by looking at my neck, he could tell I had hypothyroidism. He put me on levothyroxine and I've been on it all this time. I still had bouts of depression and was given an anti-depressant which has helped tremendously. Now in my late fifties, I was just told by my rheumatologist that I have Hashimoto's. He said it is what caused my hypothyroidism to begin with. My symptoms now include joint pain and dry skin. Apparently if you have arthritis, which I do, the Hashimoto's makes it worse. The doctor increased my dose of levothyroxine. My pain and stiffness is bearable, bit I'm sad I can't do things I used to do. I still have fatigue and dry skin. It's hard to say how much of this is simply caused by aging. I'm considering cutting out gluten from my diet. Now I'm on more medications, methotrexate and Plaquenil. I can't tell if they help or not.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.