Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis

How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?

Comment from: Deen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I knew something was wrong for at least 6 years after chemotherapy treatments. The family doctors always said my TSH was in the normal range. My face was puffy, I had fluid retention, very mild depression, elevated cholesterol, snoring, bouts of laryngitis and weight gain of approximately 5Kgs. After a lot of research I found a doctor who uses traditional medical practice as well as naturopathy. They seem to be more on top of the latest research on the new TSH levels. Well, she put me on natural desiccated hormone therapy and in one week there was a big difference in how I was feeling. My weight is down and I sleep so much better.

Comment from: deb5734, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I just had my anti thyroglobulin level checked and it was 787! My thyroglobulin AB is 233.41. My T4 free and TSH are normal. I also have a nodule in my thyroid. I also have scar tissue (no reason given).

Comment from: xhiner, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I suffered from extreme cold intolerance. I would wear a winter coat over my winter pajamas to bed in August and would still be so cold that I would shake. A couple of doctors tested my thyroid but not for antibodies. The last doctor said that my antibodies were too numerous to count, I have three sisters that have problems with their thyroid.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

Having a family history of strokes, I signed up for a Lifeline Screening which included a carotid artery ultrasound to check for impaired blood flow; this screening detected a cyst on my left thyroid, and I was advised to consult my primary care physician. After other tests and scans including a needle biopsy, he ultimately diagnosed me with Hashimoto's. Had it not been for this ultrasound, I'd never have known I had Hashimoto's---all my TSH level tests on routine blood tests have always been normal---and while I have symptoms (frequently cold when others aren't, weight gain with inability to lose despite exercise or diet changes, et al), I would've ascribed it to normal aging.

Comment from: Mela, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I gave birth almost five months ago. When I went back to my OB/GYN for my 3 to 4 month check-up, I mentioned to him that I was tired, but chalking it up to having three children, with one being an infant. He decided to run tests just to be on the safe side. He ran Lymes, Thyroid, and Mono test. A few days later I received a call from his nurse saying that he wanted me to see my primary due to abnormal results, one being the Thyroid test. I saw my primary and I had him stumped. He said if he had to guess by the looks of my labs I may have Hashimoto's. He ran 20+ blood tests on me. He ran every thyroid test possible. He called me up a few days later and said he was right. All my blood tests lead to Hashimoto's and he wants me to follow up with an endocrinologists.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

Today I was diagnosed with Hashimoto thyroiditis today after five months of feeling of "congestion" in my throat. My GP did a thyroid test and said it was OK. My anxiety soared, resulting in chest pains. I had an EKG and cardiac stress test – my heart tested OK. Gastrointestinal work (endoscopy, barium swallow, and esophageal manometry) followed to rule out GERD and esophageal spasming. It all came back normal. I sought out an ENT on my own just to have my throat checked by another doctor. An ultrasound of my thyroid was ordered and a .7-cm nodule was discovered. I was frustrated when the ENT said to just have the nodule checked again in two years and said that I had "globus hystericus." In other words, since I am middle-aged and female, it was all in my head. Determined to get a diagnosis, I sought out an endocrinologist who took a full history, did an exam of my neck and blood work, and just called me today with the diagnosis of Hashimoto's. I will follow up in three months to see what treatment will be needed. There is nothing like finding a thorough doctor.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.