Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis

How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?

Comment from: vettelady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

My symptoms varied. I initially lost all of my energy. I went from jogging 30 miles a week to barely 10 miles a week. I began to sleep a lot. I once even feel a sleep at a signal light. Very scary. Hair falling out, extremely cold hands and feet, cracked dry skin. The last straw was my throat feeling like someone was in there with rake. Totally losing my voice many times, I finally decided to see a doctor. Low and behold Hashimoto's. I was diagnosed at 45. Today I am on levoxyl but have struggles with weight and although I work out very hard, I still struggle with my weight..

Comment from: Ren2 aqua, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

Had hypothyroid symptoms since my early 20's and despite a blood test yearly I knew somthing was wrong. I never conceived a child. Then in my mid 50's a diagnosis was made of Hashimoto's thyroiditis at the time I was also diagnosed with Crohn's and Ulcerative colitis. I now am on Synthoid but many symptoms still occur as cold intolernace and weight gain despite activity increase and food reduction.

Comment from: Nancy, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 08

I had bloodwork done recently for my Hashimoto's thyroiditis and it was found to be abnormal in the levels. I was experiencing symptoms that I thought were related to menopause, apparently they mimic each other to a certain degree. Well my anitibody levels are extremely elevated therefore I will be on Synthroid for the rest of my life.

Comment from: josie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

Last year at age 35 I noticed a lump at the front of my throat in April. I was not aware of any other symptoms to start with and went to my GP who took blood tests at regular intervals believing I was either hyperthyroid or hypothyroid. When the blood tests gave differing results, at first showing I was under-active then over-active and fluctuating between the 2, I was then sent for an ultra sound. This was also inconclusive and I then had to have a thyroid scan with injected radiation. This showed a toxic nodule but was also deemed inconclusive so I was sent for a biopsy which again was inconclusive. In July just before my 36th birthday I was advised that due to the results of all the varying tests there was a possibility that I had a cancerous tumor which would have to be removed by surgery. It was only after my operation to remove the left half of my thyroid and tests were conducted on the removed portion that I received a diagnosis of Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Comment from: Briana, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

Started with the symptoms of hypothyroid, I was falling asleep in school, always cold, had the worst menstrual cycles, went to a doctor and he wanted to check my thyroid with a simple blood test, took it and said that it was very low "Too high in the low" had me sent over to a thyroid doctor where I told her all my symptoms and she wanted to check for Hashimoto's. Yes, I have this disease, I was diagnosed at 16, and I am only 17 years old. Very frustrating and stressful. I have to take a pill for the rest of my life.

Comment from: alison, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I went to a Naturopathic Doctor because I was feeling very lethargic sleeping day and night and very bad sweats and general unwell. I am 73 years of age but still getting sweats from lack of progesterone. The Naturopath had very extensive blood tests taken as I have a history of thyroid problems in my family. I was wet day and night from the sweats, then about 4 months ago my voice started to get very rough and swallowing in left side of throat was a little difficult.

Comment from: Laura, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I had lost 45 lbs. through a weight loss program. I was feeling great! Suddenly, I began to feel like I had 2 fists pressing against my throat, heart palpitations, fatigue, depression, and I gained the weight back. At times I felt lightheaded and dizzy. During a routine medical exam I mentioned my symptoms to the PA that I see and she referred me to an endocrinologist who performed a biopsy and blood work. The biopsy was non-cancerous. My Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosis was in 2005. As of 2011 I have been off of medication following bariatric surgery. The nodule is stable and I still have yearly visits with the endocrinologist.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.