Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis

How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?

Comment from: anonymous, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I am a 17 year old female with Hashimoto Thyroiditis. I was diagnosed at the age of 12. I caught it quite early therefore, There were not many visible symptoms. My mother noticed a lump in my neck (goiter) at a normal doctors appointment for a cold and got him to check it out, and we found out I had the disease. The only noticable symptom I remember is fatigue. There is also a history of thyroid problems in my family.

Comment from: DNA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis 20 months ago. The initial signs were extreme tiredness, weight gain and excessive hair loss, blood tests confirmed this disease. I am yet to be medicated as the levels are rising slowly, which is annoying as the symptoms are affecting my family and my current studies.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I am 15 years old and was 12 years old when I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's. My symptoms where very bad joint pain, always cold, always tired, swelling of my legs, puffy face and eyes, and a swollen thyroid. I have now been on medication since, I see a specialist every six months, and get frequent blood work done.

Comment from: thyroid sufferer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

Having been diagnosed since the age of 23 with Hypothyroidism and treated for years with synthroid, I suddenly started having extreme symptoms at the age of 67 and was given an ultrasound which showed many small nodules in the Thyroid. I was sent to an endocrinologist and he diagnosed Hashimoto's. I have since retired to a small town and am seeing a nurse practitioner for regular care.

Comment from: Carol VO, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

I have multiple sclerosis and as a result developed Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I was losing weight and did not know why. I was diagnosed as hyperthyroid. I am taking .112 of Synthroid. I am now losing hair and gaining weight. I believe that the dosage has taken me in the wrong direction.

Comment from: BigTall, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 19

My first bout with this disease, happen two months ago. I am rare "a male" just diagnosed due to heart arrhythmia, high blood pressure of 160/100 with heart rate of 110/130 on the couch sitting. I couldn't sleep, my body couldn't regulate its temp, and I had hot flashes all the time. Thought I had Graves, I was very "hyper" until the uptake and scan, I went off meds and haven't been on them for a month, I thought what gives? Glad I found out quickly, my Doc. is great- go get treated and ask for testing, you'll feel 100% better when you do! I feel there is SO MUCH more linked to the Endo. system in our bodies then we realize!

Comment from: hypo & hyper, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I am 32 and have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease. It began with hyperthyroidism with the symptoms (panic attacks, anxiety, shortness of breath, excessive weight loss, tremors (shakes), headaches, rapid heart rate, sweating, nervousness, tiredness. My doctor said that I will have spurts of both hypo and hyper. This was discovered by regular checkups. I am on extra tablets now; I hope that it can be regulated as it can be sometimes embarrassing when I have the shakes in public when people don't know that I have this disease.

Comment from: suha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I had attacks of hashimoto thyroiditis after each delivery. I had 3 boys at the 1st and 2nd postpartum periods my endocrinologist asked me to choose between lactation and medication. I didn't take any drugs to breastfeed my babies. The 3rd time I took a plant called Marjoram it's for hormonal balance after 3 days of drinking it twice daily I felt o.k. and my lab result went to normal levels.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.