Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis

How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?

Comment from: thyroid sufferer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

Having been diagnosed since the age of 23 with Hypothyroidism and treated for years with synthroid, I suddenly started having extreme symptoms at the age of 67 and was given an ultrasound which showed many small nodules in the Thyroid. I was sent to an endocrinologist and he diagnosed Hashimoto's. I have since retired to a small town and am seeing a nurse practitioner for regular care.

Comment from: Carol VO, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

I have multiple sclerosis and as a result developed Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I was losing weight and did not know why. I was diagnosed as hyperthyroid. I am taking .112 of Synthroid. I am now losing hair and gaining weight. I believe that the dosage has taken me in the wrong direction.

Comment from: BigTall, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 19

My first bout with this disease, happen two months ago. I am rare "a male" just diagnosed due to heart arrhythmia, high blood pressure of 160/100 with heart rate of 110/130 on the couch sitting. I couldn't sleep, my body couldn't regulate its temp, and I had hot flashes all the time. Thought I had Graves, I was very "hyper" until the uptake and scan, I went off meds and haven't been on them for a month, I thought what gives? Glad I found out quickly, my Doc. is great- go get treated and ask for testing, you'll feel 100% better when you do! I feel there is SO MUCH more linked to the Endo. system in our bodies then we realize!

Comment from: hypo & hyper, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I am 32 and have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease. It began with hyperthyroidism with the symptoms (panic attacks, anxiety, shortness of breath, excessive weight loss, tremors (shakes), headaches, rapid heart rate, sweating, nervousness, tiredness. My doctor said that I will have spurts of both hypo and hyper. This was discovered by regular checkups. I am on extra tablets now; I hope that it can be regulated as it can be sometimes embarrassing when I have the shakes in public when people don't know that I have this disease.

Comment from: suha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I had attacks of hashimoto thyroiditis after each delivery. I had 3 boys at the 1st and 2nd postpartum periods my endocrinologist asked me to choose between lactation and medication. I didn't take any drugs to breastfeed my babies. The 3rd time I took a plant called Marjoram it's for hormonal balance after 3 days of drinking it twice daily I felt o.k. and my lab result went to normal levels.

Comment from: Hannahdale, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I am a 48 year old female going through premenopause. I have had weird symptoms the last couple of months and have had every thyroid blood test they do and are all normal. Last Friday the endo did an ultrasound of my thyroid and found it enlarged with a nodule. He told me I have Hashimoto's disease and we'll have to keep a close eye on the nodule. He put me on a low dose T3 and after the 1st dose in the morning I finally was able to sleep mostly through the night. My symptoms have been insomnia, muscle twitching and sometimes jerking at night which disrupts my sleep, dry thinning hair, muscle aches, depression, anxiety attacks, and heart palpitations. I feel like I'm getting a double whammy from both conditions and it has been a roller coaster ride!

Comment from: Helen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I had developed a golf ball sized lump on the left side of my neck. It wasn't protruding, but I felt constricted and had difficulty swallowing. I was diagnosed at age 42 (same as my father and his mother) with a goitre on my thyroid. This was tested by a biopsy, but they couldn't tell definitely whether it was cancerous or not. Two weeks later it was removed. I have been living with Hashimoto's Syndrome ever since (now 57). My weight has gradually increased, but I am fit and active.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.