Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis

How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?

Comment from: DB, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

After 10 plus years of swings and roundabouts - finally on thyroid meds. Swings of fatigue, then hyper anxiety, heart palpitations hair loss, infertility, gall bladder, ectopic pregnancy, doctor put me on anti-depressant. Depression meds almost caused divorce, my TSH always relatively low. Diagnosed with very high Hashimoto's thyroiditis antibodies 5 years ago - still nothing done. Then fatigue, weight gain, swollen thyroid and slight raise in TSH and lowered T3 T4, finally on Synthroid, this is just the beginning but now I can affirm I am not crazy! Doctors, please go by symptoms and not TSH alone! I am an athlete and I know my body! Nobody wants this electively!

Comment from: headagainsthesky, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I was 19 when I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's. It presented with insomnia, anxiety attacks, and the feeling of something pressing against my throat. The labs that were run showed no inconsistencies in my thyroid levels and only seemed to cause doctors to try to think of other options. Eventually they began with ultrasounds in which they discovered a 2.7 cm nodule on the left lobe of my thyroid.

Comment from: ALLORA MacMahon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

Thanks to an endocrinologist who simply drew labs, my Hashimoto's thyroiditis went untreated for six years because my labs were normal. It finally took an eye condition for my ophthalmologist to say I needed thyroid hormones. My allergist also agreed! Of course, now I've gained 20 pounds and have permanent damage to my eyes.

Comment from: 57kate75, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I was finally diagnosed a little over a year ago, after telling doctors something was wrong for years. My whole family has dysfunctional thyroids. The endo I was sent to hasn't really done anything since the diagnoses; my family doc is the one monitoring me. I have goiters, extreme fatigue, weight gain, depression and brain fog that is at time scary. Somedays it is a struggle to function normally through the day at my job, I am only 53 years old and at times feel like I am 83. And if that isn't enough, my thyroid levels are what everyone in the medical field thinks is "normal". All I ask is please treat the symptoms not the numbers and maybe I will feel better! Thanks for the opportunity to speak my piece.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I felt very tired and grumpy for a few months and assumed I had low iron levels as I had in the past. The doctor checked my blood and discovered I had Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Comment from: tblauvelt, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

Eight months after I had my daughter I had about two hypoglycemic episodes a week. After a month of trying to regulate my blood sugar on my own through dietary changes I had enough and went to an endocrinologist. Through blood work I was told I had subclinical hypoglycemia. After further testing months later I have been told today that I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Comment from: mona j., 35-44 Female Published: November 09

I was just diagnosed today with Hashimoto's Disease. I have been on Levoxyl for 14 years and about 6 months ago I had to take B12 pills. Now I have to have the injections of B12 now. It was really hard to differentiate between the hypothyroid and the B12 deficiency. My thyroid level was a 2! I have never seen that number ever. The only other concern I have is that my calves and ankles have been swelled for the past 2 months. I'll be at the doctor in three weeks, because she told me to not take my cholesterol pills.

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I have a degree in medical technology so knew I had a thyroid problem. However, I could not convince doctors despite strong family history and overt symptoms (cold, hair loss, fatigue, dry skin and hair, muscle cramps, depression, weight gain). Once the TSH hit the magic number of 5.5, I was put on Synthroid which really improved the conditions. My TPO keeps increasing now up to 332 (normal is <35). My last TSH was 9+ which means Synthroid will have to be increased.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.