Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis

How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?

Comment from: KarenZ, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I was diagnosed about a year ago with Hashimoto's thyroiditis after having really bad headaches often, which was about the only symptom I recognized. My doctor referred me to an endocrinologist and I got some blood tests done proving I had Hashimoto's and was promptly put on synthroid.

Comment from: rkmom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

Over the last few years I had been having really heavy menstrual bleeding. My doctor wanted to put in progesterone IUD, which helped for a couple of years. I also have fibroids, so they were unsure whether the fibroids were the cause of the bleeding. Then I began having bouts of crazy bleeding -- once I bled so much I almost passed out. The doctor I saw after that episode had my TSH levels checked and they were high, though not extremely high. She had me follow up in a few months with my regular doctor, and again the results were high. Eventually, almost by accident I got sent to an endocrinologist who had me tested for Hashimoto's and was put on thyroid meds. In retrospect I had been having odd symptoms -- occasional bouts of shoulder pain, sore feet, cold sensitivity, thinning hair, and dry skin. I feel much better now after a few months on medication. Definitely you need to advocate for yourself if you think something is wrong--it seemed to me that even the endocrinologist goes by the numbers on the test results and not by symptoms. Everyone kept telling me I was going through menopause, but menopause alone wasn't causing all my symptoms!

Comment from: DB, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

After 10 plus years of swings and roundabouts - finally on thyroid meds. Swings of fatigue, then hyper anxiety, heart palpitations hair loss, infertility, gall bladder, ectopic pregnancy, doctor put me on anti-depressant. Depression meds almost caused divorce, my TSH always relatively low. Diagnosed with very high Hashimoto's thyroiditis antibodies 5 years ago - still nothing done. Then fatigue, weight gain, swollen thyroid and slight raise in TSH and lowered T3 T4, finally on Synthroid, this is just the beginning but now I can affirm I am not crazy! Doctors, please go by symptoms and not TSH alone! I am an athlete and I know my body! Nobody wants this electively!

Comment from: headagainsthesky, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I was 19 when I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's. It presented with insomnia, anxiety attacks, and the feeling of something pressing against my throat. The labs that were run showed no inconsistencies in my thyroid levels and only seemed to cause doctors to try to think of other options. Eventually they began with ultrasounds in which they discovered a 2.7 cm nodule on the left lobe of my thyroid.

Comment from: ALLORA MacMahon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

Thanks to an endocrinologist who simply drew labs, my Hashimoto's thyroiditis went untreated for six years because my labs were normal. It finally took an eye condition for my ophthalmologist to say I needed thyroid hormones. My allergist also agreed! Of course, now I've gained 20 pounds and have permanent damage to my eyes.

Comment from: 57kate75, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I was finally diagnosed a little over a year ago, after telling doctors something was wrong for years. My whole family has dysfunctional thyroids. The endo I was sent to hasn't really done anything since the diagnoses; my family doc is the one monitoring me. I have goiters, extreme fatigue, weight gain, depression and brain fog that is at time scary. Somedays it is a struggle to function normally through the day at my job, I am only 53 years old and at times feel like I am 83. And if that isn't enough, my thyroid levels are what everyone in the medical field thinks is "normal". All I ask is please treat the symptoms not the numbers and maybe I will feel better! Thanks for the opportunity to speak my piece.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I felt very tired and grumpy for a few months and assumed I had low iron levels as I had in the past. The doctor checked my blood and discovered I had Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.