Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis

How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?

Comment from: Nan D., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I ignored my extreme fatigue, unexplained weight gain and joint pain for two years. Unfortunately, I listened to the Weight Watchers people who said that I was not trying hard enough to lose weight. In July, I went to my doctor & told her that I am very busy and feel like I can barely make it through a day. I also cannot sleep. She immediately ran a blood test that on firmed the diagnosis of HT. Now we are trying to achieve a fine balance with adjusting the Synthroid.

Comment from: believer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

I went from doctor to doctor for 4 years, just to be told that I needed to go on a diet program and nothing was wrong. The doctors only ran the basic blood tests. I finally found a great doctor and told him that I wanted him to treat the symptoms and not the test results. He ran the whole thyroid test and found that I had Hashimotos and autoimmune. He put me on bioidenticals thyroid meds, supplements and every 6 months he is re-evaluating my dosage and is increasing dosages until my levels are close to normal.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I was first diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism, but was having a problem keeping my weight down. Three months later, when I went back to get my blood drawn again, and my doctor said that my thyroid levels were significantly low. I had been exhausted and my muscles always ached. I had dry hair and some other mild symptoms. When I was fourteen, I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.

Comment from: anonymous, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I am a 17 year old female with Hashimoto Thyroiditis. I was diagnosed at the age of 12. I caught it quite early therefore, There were not many visible symptoms. My mother noticed a lump in my neck (goiter) at a normal doctors appointment for a cold and got him to check it out, and we found out I had the disease. The only noticable symptom I remember is fatigue. There is also a history of thyroid problems in my family.

Comment from: DNA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis 20 months ago. The initial signs were extreme tiredness, weight gain and excessive hair loss, blood tests confirmed this disease. I am yet to be medicated as the levels are rising slowly, which is annoying as the symptoms are affecting my family and my current studies.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I am 15 years old and was 12 years old when I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's. My symptoms where very bad joint pain, always cold, always tired, swelling of my legs, puffy face and eyes, and a swollen thyroid. I have now been on medication since, I see a specialist every six months, and get frequent blood work done.

Comment from: grt, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I had to try several doctors, too, until I found a good one. This one's a gem. My Hashimoto's thyroiditis symptoms got significantly worse in just one week's time, but in hindsight it had been going on several years. My symptoms were fatigue, mild depression, social isolation, hearing loss, hair loss, brittle nails, muscle pain, heavy periods before finally hitting menopause, heart palpitations, weight gain of 15 pounds in spite of healthy diet and exercise, mental fog, difficulty breathing, difficulty swallowing, and enlarged thyroid. There's probably more but my mental fog is still there. I was just diagnosed today!

Comment from: thyroid sufferer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

Having been diagnosed since the age of 23 with Hypothyroidism and treated for years with synthroid, I suddenly started having extreme symptoms at the age of 67 and was given an ultrasound which showed many small nodules in the Thyroid. I was sent to an endocrinologist and he diagnosed Hashimoto's. I have since retired to a small town and am seeing a nurse practitioner for regular care.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.