Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy

If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I have had Hashimoto"s thyroiditis since I was 16. I was married for three years before I conceived and then found out I was diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy. Two months after removal of the affected fallopian tube I then found out I was pregnant again and now have 3 children. I don"t know if hypothyroidism affects the ability to conceive but I took the time to monitor my basal temperature to know when I was ovulating because I didn"t know back then that when ovulation is occurring it"s not always one ovary then the next month the other releases eggs. Don"t give up if you are trying!

Comment from: momofsix, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I went a long time without being diagnosed with Hashimoto's. I was able to get pregnant but had with several of my children, very high levels of anxiety so much that I couldn't breastfeed. After my fourth child was born and a week later I was back in my size 6 skirt, I knew something wasn't right. By the time the endocrinologist did my TSH and the other lab tests, my thyroid was almost nonfunctioning. It took about three weeks to get my medicine levels right and then I have been so much better. I do think that the extreme problems with my thyroid levels had something to do with my severe feelings of anxiety and I wish I had been diagnosed properly to begin with but many times women are diagnosed with postpartum depression when it's really thyroiditis.

Comment from: Momof3, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I have Hashimoto's. I conceived easily and have three children. However, I had a miscarriage before each full-term pregnancy, around 10- 12 weeks. I do think there is a connection. My oldest child was 9 when my youngest was born. I was not diagnosed until seven years after my youngest child was born. I knew in my 20s that I didn't feel right, but I was in my 40s when I was diagnosed.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis Question: How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?