Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment

What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?

Comment from: Pj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I've spent the last four years in pain and searching for an answer. For me avoiding gluten and maltodextrin has helped dramatically with inflammation. Finally I found a doctor who would address my Hashimoto's thyroiditis and hormone imbalance. I'm doing better but there is still too much inflammation. So I need to get tighter with my food. I've been cheating lately and I feel it. My advice is that if you aren't getting any relief look at the S.H.I.N.E protocol. My pain levels were so high that I had zero testosterone so it's no wonder that I felt so bad. It is diet, stress management, thyroid, hormones, and sleep apnea, along with proper pain management. I use medical marijuana. CBD patches are a godsend. No high, just pain relief. Unfortunately insurance doesn't cover it. But opiates are free. So hang in there and keep looking for what you need to feel normal again.

Comment from: giddyupbronco, 25-34 (Patient) Published: December 17

I've been dealing with Hashimoto's thyroiditis for the past 6 years but have been on Synthroid since I was in my 20s. I recently switched to natural thyroid and gone on a paleo, dairy, and gluten free diet. I exercise regularly and have been feeling so much better. There is a Hashimoto's cook book I've been inspired to use and I have found, to be creative with my foods is making a difference. The best thing is to talk with an endocrinologist.

Comment from: MN Girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

A higher dose of levothyroxine and a gluten free and dairy free diet have been my treatment for Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Comment from: Pamela, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I have had Hashimoto's thyroiditis for two years, it was triggered by the Epstein–Barr virus (EBV). I have been on Armour Thyroid at different dosages for this time period with no relief of symptoms at all. I am looking for some medicines that will alleviate this intense muscle pain that I have daily, and the anxiety and sleeplessness.

Comment from: Clone, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's over three months ago by an endocrinologist. He said I had had it for a very long time. I would get ill but always thought it was chronic mononucleosis which I had been diagnosed with. I would have 2 good years and then two bad years picking up every virus that came around. I have taken levothyroxine for a long time. Now the endocrinologist is treating me for 6 months. I can't eat sugar, gluten, or dairy. I have lost 25 pounds in 3 months but still don't feel well and have no energy or stamina. My TSH has changed and I need to have my doctor decrease the dosage which may have something to do with how I feel. I have taken an anti-inflammatory treatment and RepairVite. Next week I will see what is next.

Comment from: Ina, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

My Hashimoto's thyroiditis was diagnosed with a blood test and I am not on medication for it. I feel tired a lot of the time, find it hard to lose the few kilos that I need to lose and never really feel well. I keep myself busy and have a lot of recipe books too choose from too make sure I eat healthy.

Comment from: Flor del la Montana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I am getting no care for my Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I do not have access to proper medical care in my rural area. I need advocacy and do not know where to find any.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis Question: How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.