Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms

The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: youlovetwiggy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I've been suffering with hypothyroid since I was about 20 or 21, I am now almost 25. I've been skinny all my life due to being on stimulants for my ADHD (attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder). My weight didn't really start to bother me till after years of being bullied and having self-image problems that increased in my 20s because of the sudden weight gain I had. In a matter of two weeks I had gained 26 pounds from being just 100 pounds before. People started to make really hurtful fat jokes which caused me to eat even more, and I ended up gaining 36 pounds. After being diagnosed with hypothyroid it took me about two years to lose all the weight. I'm sure it probably didn't help that they had me on the wrong dosage of medicine for so long. I eventually lost all the weight and for the remainder of the time I have been skinny again. I have on and off been taking my medicine correctly because I don't want to only weigh 100 pounds which is where my body keeps me when the thyroid medicine is working. So I wouldn't take it right and at least I'd gain 10 pounds and feel better about myself, but I suddenly started getting sick. I'd wake up crying because my body ached so badly. I had just started a new job I thought it was from all the heavy lifting. The aching had been on and off, it's frustrating because I have had depression, fatigue, aches, swelling, hate being touched by cold stuff, and all of a sudden, even now as I am typing, my wrists feel so tight in the joints. I can't even begin to explain what the pain feels like and no one understands. I was even more depressed than I normally am with my mental disorders and I just wasn't getting better. I finally found out about a week ago I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I am just upset because it is my fault, and now I'll never get rid of it. I am still working and I am still in pain; I just want some relief. Some days are just so bad but I am tired of taking pain killers, anti-inflammatory pills, pain patches and creams, I just want to feel better.

Comment from: MaDinger, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I have had hypothyroidism since I was trying to conceive our daughter. Thirty years have passed and now I had an emergency room visit recently because it felt like my heart was pounding in my chest, throat and neck. They admitted me and told me my thyroid levels were good and my heart was normal, after all the testing. They sent me home and scheduled an appointment with my regular physician. She did many tests and found out I had Hashimoto's thyroiditis and my thyroid peroxide levels were almost double! She increased my levothyroxine. This explains why I have not been able to lose weight after exercising an hour a day. I am now gluten free for 8 days and have lost 8 pounds!

Comment from: Cali, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I am new to Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease if that is what it is. I have had a low thyroid since 2011 and just this past winter had a very bad experience with the 'winter blues' as they called it. So very tired, all I wanted to do was sleep, very cranky, couldn't stand the cold temperatures to even walk my dog, felt very sluggish, slowed mind, slow moving, muscle fatigue in my arms at times, swollen throat it felt most of the time. It took all that I had to work out most of the time. Finally in March I went to the doctor, because I couldn't stand myself anymore. Doctor says thyroid levels were fine, but that I was 'sad' due to winter. I was very low on vitamin D, and potassium. Once summer came and after taking vitamin D and potassium, I felt a lot better, but still not myself. Finally my doctor referred me to an endocrinologist who found out that I had Hashimoto's. So I guess that it doesn't matter that levels might be fine, but it does matter that your gland isn't working properly. I got my Synthroid upped to a higher dose, and it's been only a couple weeks, but I am feeling better; a little tired at times, but nothing like before!

Comment from: Jackie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

For the last 7 years I was having problems with headaches, enlarged joints, and severe abdominal pain. I also had bouts of dizziness and hair loss. Weight gain for no reason. I just wanted to sleep all the time! I have seen a neurologist and endocrinologist, plus my general physician (GP). They did several thousand dollars' worth of tests, which I am still paying for and I finally fired them all except for my GP. I have and have had for many years diverticulitis disease. So I called him to see me for this stomach pain. He looked at all my records for the last 5 years and said I need to be on medications for Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Now I ask how can he tell, and not an endocrinologist, because some of them are just in it for the money. I had normal levels TSH, T4 and T3 so they never looked any farther. All my headaches are gone! All my stomach pains are gone! The pain in my joints is lessening every day! My hair has stopped falling out! My weight has stabilized! So, I say do not give up, just stay positive and keep seeing doctors! It has been only 5 months for me on medications and I feel so much better! I now have nodules in my thyroid but they are noncancerous so we are leaving them be for the present time. Hope you all find relief. I know how terrible it is! Because I am 54 they thought some of it was my midlife issues!

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis Question: How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.