Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms

The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: bamagirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I was 13 years old when diagnosed with Hashimoto"s thyroiditis. My eyes grew fat behind them and they bulged out badly. My mother took me to the doctor and after examining my gland, it felt enlarged. After a thyroid scan I had iodine treatment. I was then diagnosed. My skin is very dry, I have brittle hair, slow heartbeat and bad menstrual cycles and it was hard to conceive. But I did and have two wonderful boys.

Comment from: viola, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

At first I felt good, but went to the eye doctor with torn retina. I had headaches. I experienced coldness, numbness, tingling, blurry vision, pain, carpal tunnel, couldn"t go on walks without tiring out quickly and hair falling out. I was going hypo and hyper thyroid back and forth so it took several months for doctors to figure it out. I had Hashimoto"s thyrotoxicosis and now it"s just Hashimoto"s. Eight months later I have about half of my hair still and it is not falling out! Yay! I am on 100 MCG Synthroid and doing better but it is hard to be patient. I want to be like I was before all this. The doctor said it could take a few more months!

Comment from: armymom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's 5+ years ago. I've been to 2 different doctors who have changed my medications several times. My weight and cholesterol increased, my mood swings became uncontrollable and I became severely depressed. One doctor had me convinced I needed anxiety medication. Both doctors only relied on my TSH levels. If the levels were in the normal range, they didn't think my concerns were viable. I feel horrible. I felt much better before I went on Synthroid. I have now been off Synthroid for 2 weeks. So far so good. I'm no dummy; I'm closely monitoring everything so if the slightest need arises, I will be seeing my doctor. I know it takes time and I may still have some Synthroid in my system. But for now, I feel ok.

Comment from: Lina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

When I was 14 years old my mom noticed a few things wrong with me. 1) I was so tired all the time that when I came home from school I had to sleep for about 2 to 3 hrs. 2) My grades in school dropped because I couldn't focus on anything. 3) My hair was dry and gray started to appear. There wasn't a doctor that could diagnose me and by the time I was 33 I had a very hard time conceiving and after 2 miscarriages and passing out in the middle of the street from lack of energy and pains all over my body, finally a doctor saw the size of my neck and did an ANA test - it was then that I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's. By that time I had multiple cold nodules that led to the total removal of my thyroid. I am now 56 and have 2 grown children, my daughter with Hashimoto antibodies and my son with a hormonal deficiency due to lack of human chorionic gonadotropin that led him to briefly stop growing and have the testosterone levels of a 4 year old but, he was 11. Thank goodness that I acted fast and found him a child endocrinologist that took care of it. Meanwhile I believe my Hashimoto's had a lot to do with all this.

Comment from: Rhiannon, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I was found to have Hashimoto's thyroiditis when I was 12. I had a large swelling on my throat which caused some alarm when my mother realized it was there. Aside from that I apparently had no symptoms but when I was diagnosed, it was found that my growth had been stunted as a result. Thankfully with medication I was able to catch up (and not look like I was perpetually 8 years old) though I still look like I am in my mid-teens at 24.

Comment from: Shelsybug, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I slept for 3 years. I have multiple sclerosis (MS) so I thought that was the problem, but got tested for TSH T3 and T4 and was diagnosed with Hashimoto's.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis Question: How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.