Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms

The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Cali, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I am new to Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease if that is what it is. I have had a low thyroid since 2011 and just this past winter had a very bad experience with the 'winter blues' as they called it. So very tired, all I wanted to do was sleep, very cranky, couldn't stand the cold temperatures to even walk my dog, felt very sluggish, slowed mind, slow moving, muscle fatigue in my arms at times, swollen throat it felt most of the time. It took all that I had to work out most of the time. Finally in March I went to the doctor, because I couldn't stand myself anymore. Doctor says thyroid levels were fine, but that I was 'sad' due to winter. I was very low on vitamin D, and potassium. Once summer came and after taking vitamin D and potassium, I felt a lot better, but still not myself. Finally my doctor referred me to an endocrinologist who found out that I had Hashimoto's. So I guess that it doesn't matter that levels might be fine, but it does matter that your gland isn't working properly. I got my Synthroid upped to a higher dose, and it's been only a couple weeks, but I am feeling better; a little tired at times, but nothing like before!

Comment from: Jackie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

For the last 7 years I was having problems with headaches, enlarged joints, and severe abdominal pain. I also had bouts of dizziness and hair loss. Weight gain for no reason. I just wanted to sleep all the time! I have seen a neurologist and endocrinologist, plus my general physician (GP). They did several thousand dollars' worth of tests, which I am still paying for and I finally fired them all except for my GP. I have and have had for many years diverticulitis disease. So I called him to see me for this stomach pain. He looked at all my records for the last 5 years and said I need to be on medications for Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Now I ask how can he tell, and not an endocrinologist, because some of them are just in it for the money. I had normal levels TSH, T4 and T3 so they never looked any farther. All my headaches are gone! All my stomach pains are gone! The pain in my joints is lessening every day! My hair has stopped falling out! My weight has stabilized! So, I say do not give up, just stay positive and keep seeing doctors! It has been only 5 months for me on medications and I feel so much better! I now have nodules in my thyroid but they are noncancerous so we are leaving them be for the present time. Hope you all find relief. I know how terrible it is! Because I am 54 they thought some of it was my midlife issues!

Comment from: Pajamma Flannel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I was 53 when I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis but I believe I've had it for most of my life. Ever since a child I have always been freezing cold. I wear jackets in the house and wear two winter jackets in winter. I've been plagued with constipation my entire life, and have battled fatigue and depression. When I was 32 I went into premature ovarian failure. For over 20 years I went to doctors telling them that I thought something was wrong with my thyroid. Finally, some doctor did figure it out with appropriate tests. Had this been discovered back when I was a child, I'm sure I would have had a much better life.

Comment from: lyslys, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

For the past year I thought I was going crazy. I was chronically tired all the time, to the point of not wanting to hang out with friends and getting frustrated if I knew I would not make it to bed on time. I have been irritable to the point where my mother told me everyone around me thought I was having mood swings. Then all of a sudden I gained almost 30 pounds in the past 3 months and I never gain weight. I haven't changed my eating habits either. My gynecologist said my thyroid panel was fine but my endocrinologist found the antibody and the number was very high although my TSH was fine. He diagnosed me with Hashimoto's thyroiditis and put me on Synthroid but for the past week I have had really bad nausea, chills, and anxiety as side effects. I don't know what to do! I only recently found all this out maybe 2 weeks ago, so the frustration is pretty fresh.

Comment from: Olivia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis at 20 and am still in the process of getting my thyroxine medicines right. I went to the doctor because I was having trouble with panic attacks and anxiety, but he ordered TSH and T4 bloodwork which all showed I was hypothyroid. Prior to that though, I had noticed I was having on/off weeks of feeling so run down and exhausted mixed with being very energetic and positive. I had absolutely no appetite when I was tired though, and ended up losing weight. I was also having problems with feeling very faint and losing my vision when I stood up; though that could have easily been from not eating at all.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis Question: How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.