Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms

The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Published: June 20

I have been extremely tired as well as very irritable. I thought I was going crazy until I demanded my doctor do the antibody tests. Then I got the results-they were very much out of range! Now I know why I have been feeling the way I have!

Published: June 12

I had a small patch of vitiligo in my groin area and also experienced a short bout of hyperthyroidism after pregnancy. Looking back, these were probably the first warning signs of an autoimmune problem. Fifteen years later I became hypothyroid and experienced RSI-like symptoms in my forearms that stopped me being able to type or play the piano, with the little finger being the most painful. I put on a fair bit of weight (about 10-14kg, more than is usually expected with this condition, but the same as other family members had done), and I felt overwhelming tiredness, like in pregnancy. I had uncontrollably heavy menstrual periods and was a little constipated most of the time. My hair and nails became a little drier than they had been. My blood tests were normal, but I knew what was wrong because hypothyroidism runs in the family. After two weeks of treatment I felt a lot better and pretty much my normal self. From time to time my GP does another blood test and increases my dose of Levothyroxine as necessary, if any of the symptoms return. My only regret is not pushing for a diagnosis earlier, as some of the symptoms were already there, and one of my children has a minor disability that may have been prevented by me being given a low dose of thyroxine during pregnancy - my GP at the time was probably too quick just to look at lab test results rather than the overall picture, which looking back was probably unwise, given that there was a family history of this condition..

Published: June 09

Well, my first symptom was an extreme feeling of being tired all the time, even after getting up from having plenty of sleep. Secondly, I had heart palpitations that are suppose to happen with hyperthyroid problems. Secretly, I thought someone would find me dead somewhere. You could say I was depressed.

Published: July 30

The only symptom I had was hives that were all over my body. After going to the allergist to get blood work done, the doctor called me and told me that I had Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Published: July 25

My husband and I were trying to conceive, and I lost two pregnancies right after getting a positive preg test. Then for over a year I was unable to conceive. I went to the doctor for a routine check up, and had a "list" of my ailments, including migraines, depression, and weight gain that I couldn't get control over, hair loss, severe eczema, and heavy menstrual cycles, plus infertility. My doctor told me that he would like to run a simple blood test before beginning to address anything yet and the result? Hypothyroidism. I began treatment with Levoxyl right away and now have three beautiful children. The weight? Still a huge struggle for me though. Most of my other symptoms have disappeared altogether, or gotten a lot better over time.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis Question: How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.