Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms

The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Published: July 08

For years now I have complained of the same things being extremely tired and the weight gain with the signs of depression too. I have gone to 4 different doctors throughout the years and they all just said that I am getting older and offered me antidepressants which I finally took by the 3rd year. My neurologist finally listened and did more extensive testing and took one look at the results and told me that I have Hashimoto' s Thyroiditis and I was just glad to have a answer instead of looking like a hypochondriac all of these years. She is now referring me to an endocrinologist who most likely will start me on thyroid medicine.

Published: July 08

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto' s Thyroiditis years ago after having years of endometriosis and having symptoms that I thought was still from endometriosis, but was from hypothyroidism. I was put on Synthroid felt great stayed on same dose for a few years. I had to have a hysterectomy at age 29 and ever since then my thyroid can't get straight they keep increasing my dose and I still feel horrible. I feel like they can't get it straight.

Published: July 08

I have been experiencing some of the symptoms related to HT. Since November I have had episodes of hives, severe joint pain, fatigue, dry scalp, and weight gain without a change in diet. They usually last 1 - 1.5 months and go away for a period of time. I have had three episodes and am going through one now. My doctor took blood work and I am waiting for the results. My OBGYN ordered an ultrasound for my thyroid last year and it showed that one side is slightly enlarged than the other. The only medication I take daily is Loestrin, an oral contraceptive.

Published: June 30

I don't like my doctor; he diagnosed me with Hashimoto' s Disease and then refused to give me treatment for it even though I told him I did not feel like myself and have been unreasonably tired all of the time. I also told him that I had trouble concentrating at work and he started talking about giving me anti-depressants.

Published: June 25

I think I've had Hashimoto for a very long while before it was diagnosed. In the beginning the symptoms were very subtle. I felt slightly disconnected from everything around me and had trouble concentrating. After a while I started experience a sudden urge to cry completely out of the blue. The feeling of disconnection worsened, and slowly it began to seem as if there is a transparent curtain between me and the world - everything seemed very distant and foggy. I had trouble thinking - in a way I felt I had become 'stupid'. It was very difficult for me to put together different pieces of information. The decision making process became worse and worse - I would choose probably the worst option available and later look back and wonder what on earth was going through my head at that time... As my condition deteriorated I began to gain weight (about 10 kg), I had muscle pains, pains in the joints, my skin was very sensitive at times and I began to sleep a lot. My mood was always between mediocre and low, until slowly it seemed that the sun would never shine again and there was no way out and I realized that I was depressed. Shortly after I woke one morning with a lump sticking out of my throat and went to the doctor. At this point my TSH was over 170.

Published: June 25

Excessive tiredness with the inability to awaken after a good nights' sleep - usually attribute to allergies. Now I have drier skin than normal - scalp itching is the worst right now, very used to dry skin on arms/legs. I've gained 10 lbs in 3 months, with 6 lbs. coming on over 2-week period without any dietary changes. More depressed nature, but nothing too bad.

Published: June 25

Exhaustion and trouble sleeping, with no energy to enjoy much of anything. In that state, I had to insist that we find the problem rather than improve a very good diet or give antidepressants to a happy person. The depression diagnosis seems to happen more than I would have thought, with the subsequent, unnecessary delay in treatment.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis Question: How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.