Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms

The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Published: July 15

I dropped my daughter off at school and fell asleep only to wake up right before it was time to pick her up! This happened three days in a row. The fourth day I was in the doctor's office. I knew this was not normal: Most people have enough energy to make it through the day. I found out that Hashimoto's thyroiditis in my family all over the place. I've been struggling with it for years and didn't know. With three pregnancies, my thyroid was wacky afterward, but I just didn't know that at the time. I thought maybe it was my hormones adjusting. I also had muscle cramping, chest pain that landed me in emergency room, a muscle ache in my arm pit area, and aching finger joints as if I had carpal tunnel syndrome. Depression was mild, but it was there. I also felt as if I were in a mental fog. I could not recall names, or titles of books, or authors. I could not concentrate and wondered why I felt so foggy. The only way to focus was with caffeine, but it would wear off right away. Now that I'm on Synthroid, my symptoms are all starting to fade, thankfully. I did gain 20 pounds, which have not come off yet but hopefully with some time and work, I can shed it.

Published: July 11

I experienced extreme depression, fatigue, and muscle cramps. I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. My treatment is to take supplemental dose (30 mg) of Armour Thyroid each day and we'll check things in a month. I ended up at a neuropsychiatrist because, though I was extremely depressed, I knew it had to be physical. He ran 20 labs and diagnosed me. My primary doctor, who I've gone to for years, ran only the basic thyroid and iron tests but nothing more and wouldn't have detected it. So ... for two years I have been searching. It does matter who you go to. This doctor did say that many times endocrinologists will not prescribe anything for the Hashimoto's but that he has found that just a small dose will make the autoimmune attack stop.

Comment from: qplady0831, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I have been battling what I believed was just hypothyroidism. Since January 2015 I have had so many symptoms it would take forever to list. I have told the doctors that I felt just like I did before I started taking medication about 4 years ago. They finally discovered, since I told them my mother had a goiter up to her death, that I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I am on levothyroxine, almost 4 years now. Yes, my numbers are right but I feel horrible.

Comment from: twigs08, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I was 14 when I was first diagnosed with Hashimoto's. During the time when my hormone was leaking and I had symptoms of hyperthyroidism my doctor took me off my Synthroid. Don't ever do that! It was very difficult to convince anyone to put me back on the hormone therapy. I now find myself struggling to distinguish if I am experiencing thyroid symptoms or bipolar symptoms, since they can easily overlap. At age 37 I feel more like age 80 most days. Stay on your thyroid hormone unless an expert (not a general physician) advises otherwise!

Comment from: minnie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I am very tired all the time no matter how much sleep I would get. I am also feeling depressed for no apparent reason.

Comment from: hashy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have just been diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis, as a result of a lump that suddenly appeared at the front of my neck on the lower left side. Ultrasounds (2), blood tests, and a CAT scan confirmed the presence of the disease. No pain was associated with this lump (1.5 centimeters) but the endocrinologist aspirated fluid from it and also had it tested. They are prescribing levothyroxine. I will begin taking it tomorrow.

Comment from: djolsen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I have had Hashimoto's thyroiditis all of my life and never really knew what was wrong with me. My blood tests when I was born done by a pediatrician showed that I had a low thyroid. My parents never took me back to the pediatrician to be diagnosed. The symptoms that I have experienced have been weight gain, depression, constipation, and fatigue. I still get fatigue in the morning, but seems to wear off after I take my levoxyl.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis Question: How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.