Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms

The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: donn\a, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

My Hashimoto's was undiagnosed for years - until I took in a bag of hair to the doctor. Also my hands were split open, I was making myself salt and vinegar drinks, without knowing why and was constantly wrapped in blankets by the fire. By the time my doctor finally heard me, even knowing the thyroid history of my family, I was an absolute mess. So my advice is to speak up until you are heard.

Comment from: HL, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I really wish I could find someone who can understand what I am going through. Almost every day I have extreme fatigue, stubborn weight, depression, thyroid pain and swelling like you wouldn't believe; yet the only treatment is levothyroxine, which is what I am already taking.

Comment from: Dejia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

Today I was finally diagnosed with Hashimoto's. I have been telling my doctors for 8 years that something was wrong. For the last 3 years, (after I found out it ran in my family), I have been trying to get someone to listen to me. I ended up with almost perfect numbers every time I was tested, a little on the low side however. Although a synthetic drug was prescribed the symptoms never got much better-even as the dosage was increased. I ended up with a goiter, my hair falling out, joint pain, to the point of not being able to move around, along with a laundry list of all the other symptoms which I was suffering but can't be seen. When I went for the follow up today, some of the numbers although in range were off but, (big but), the antibody test was off the charts. The conclusion I made after this visit is that the numbers are a myth. There are a set of numbers for my body that is unique to me. I shouldn't have had to go through 8 years to finally have somebody listen to me.

Comment from: Amanda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I was diagnosed a month ago and was just so tired all the time, I was taking ephedrine just to stay awake during the day. I was constipated and had achy legs, dry itchy skin and dry hair. I feel better after being on this thyroid medication. But one endocrinologist said to take an iodine supplement and the second endocrinologist I went to see said not to take it with Hashimoto's. This is so confusing!

Comment from: Brenda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have had Hashimoto disease since I was in my thirties. I have found that the medications do not take away all of my symptoms, depression is a big one for me as also the tingling down my butt and legs, waking up early and being wet around my throat area.

Comment from: Nida, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I got diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis by my dermatologist, who I was seeing for alopecia areata. I was 25 at that time, and am 26 now. He advised me to get TSH and auto-antibodies test done. I had no symptoms except alopecia, and was always known for my extra energy, so much so that I initially thought that I would have hyperthyroid. However, I did have a reputation for sleeping for hours and feeling breathless. I developed anxiety and would have anxiety panic attacks, diarrhea because of anxiety, etc. but this was because I was depressed of being diagnosed with a lifelong disease.

Comment from: helpfortheunknown, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis over 5 years ago. Prior to my diagnosis I experienced several symptoms such as, cold tremors, moon face, chronic fatigue and chronic depression. I'm trying so hard to reinvent myself so that I can remain to have some type of normalcy. The problem is I'm always tired and frequently depressed.

Comment from: Paula, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

My major symptom for Hashimoto's thyroiditis was extreme tiredness. I always had tons of energy, but I found myself taking two-hour naps each day of the weekend. I was probably mildly depressed as well because I was always so sleepy and lost my “energizer bunny” personality. My secondary symptoms were dry hair and nails. I was 43 when I was diagnosed. I'm 49 now.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis Question: How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.