Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms

The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: meme, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

There is more to correcting a thyroid problem than just thyroid supplements/medication. Your caregiver must look at your vitamin D3 levels and also calcium. These all work hand in hand.

Comment from: Shinanaye, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

Very interesting. I am also 43 and was just diagnosed last week. It seems to be the magic number. They did not put me on anything. Instead, they suggested I take Advil as an anti-inflammatory. I am always sleepy – exhausted is more like it – and I feel like I have something in my throat.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I had extreme fatigue, hair loss, constipation, swelling of knees and ankles, hip pain, and dry, brittle nails. I complained to many different doctors. (Many suspected depression, age, being female.) My gyno suspected something was wrong with my thyroid, so I was sent to endocrinology. Even after tests confirmed Hashimoto's thyroiditis, my primary care physician couldn't believe I had it with normal TSH levels! I went undiagnosed for eight years.

Comment from: gggirl64, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis this week, but the symptom that led me back to the doctor was a dry, non-productive cough. I have had chest pain so bad that it radiated into my jaw. I thought it was a heart attack, and I went through the heart tests just to be on the safe side. I had a sonogram of the thyroid, and that is how they detected my thyroiditis. My other symptoms are extreme tiredness, heavy periods, muscle aches, mild mood swings, and that's just the beginning.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I was extremely tired; I couldn't even function. My skin was extremely dry all the time along with dry hair. I had extreme depression, and my weight fluctuated constantly.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I'm a 43 year-old-female diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. My symptoms: major facial swelling, under eye bags, a drooping upper eyelid, weight gain (approximately 15 pounds), major depression, and fatigue. My cholesterol level has increased, even with the 100 mcg of Levothroid I'm now taking.

Published: July 23

Well, I gave birth to my second son seven months ago and I noticed extreme fatigue, muscle cramps in my legs, and my right eye feeling as if it were bulging out of my head. I have had 25 decibels of hearing loss that is unexplained and my hands, ankles and knees ache constantly. I struggled with some pretty severe depression and was misdiagnosed with bipolar disorder and postpartum. As the months passed, the fatigue got to the point that I would fall asleep with my two boys playing on the floor in front of me. I absolutely couldn't keep my eyes open. So I knew something else was wrong. I went to my family doctor who knew immediately that something was up with my thyroid and suspected Hashimoto's thyroiditis. You could visibly see that my thyroid was enlarged. They took my TSH levels and they were 12! That is SUPER high! So I am taking Synthroid and will be retested in a few more weeks to check the levels. It will be a process to get it under control. Finding the correct amount of Synthroid to control it could take months. It has been two weeks since I started medicine, and I still am so stinking tired.

Published: July 10

Like many of the other women adding comment in this blog I too was basically told that I was depressed, stressed and crazy. No mind you yes I am probably am a little stressed but that's only because MY DOCTOR ISN'T LISTINING TO ME!!!!!!!! I have been chasing this problem for a little more than year and I have seen multiple doctors and even with an antibody count of more than 1000, a TSI of almost 4.0 and an elevated CRP I still have not been diagnosed with Hashimoto' s. On top of the obvious test results I have hair loss, a gain of 15lbs on 8 weeks (mind you I only weighed 130 lbs to start, so 15lbs on someone that size mine as well be 50), joint pain, chronic fatigue, skin changes and sleeping problems. Being a person that doesn't take well to being sedated and pushed aside by doctors I have refused to give up and I have also refused to take the antidepressant (which didn't make some doctors very happy). I am not a hypochondriac nor am I crazy, I am a woman that knows my body and knows that something is wrong. With that said you are not a hypochondriac either, if you know something is wrong then keep fighting at some point there will be evidence via medial clinical support that will prove you right and the doctors wrong. I am only 30 years old and though I'm young I am an educated intelligent woman and I will not stop until I am properly treated for my disease.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis Question: How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.