Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms

The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Christine, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

What most people don't know is that Hashimoto's involves both hypo and hyperthyroid symptoms. This disease can swing both ways depending on your thyroid and whether it is over or under producing the T4 hormone. I suffered with Hashimoto's for eight years before I was correctly diagnosed. Before being treated, most of the time I had symptoms of hypothyroidism such as fatigue, depression, and weight gain for no reason. If left untreated, hypothyroidism can cause further problems, including changes in menstrual cycles, prevention of ovulation, an increased risk of miscarriage, and may progress to other serious consequences including heart failure. I would also go through extreme bouts of hyperthyroidism a few times a year. This is a condition that happens when there is too much thyroid hormone. These symptoms include: insomnia, irritability, weight loss without dieting, heat sensitivity and increased perspiration, thinning of your skin, fine or brittle hair, muscular weakness, eye changes, lighter menstrual flow, rapid heartbeat and shaky hands. It is important to know that too much thyroid replacement hormone can mimic the symptoms of hyperthyroidism.

Comment from: Forsaken, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

In 1992 diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and Sjogren's syndrome at 37. Five years later my rheumatologist diagnosed Hashimoto's thyroiditis, but I was not treated because my blood levels were within normal range. I suffered for 15 years with depression, anxiety and phobia disorders during which time my medical doctors plus two endocrinologists told me to see a psychiatrist and I was put on 200 mg of Zoloft, 50 mg of trazodone, and clonazepam, but no Synthroid. My dry skin, hair, joint and muscle pain was attributed to Sjogren's and RA, as well as exhaustion, brain fog, and mood swings/personality disorder. In 2009, after 17 years, the breakup of my 32 year marriage, I was in a tragic car accident caused by passing out at the wheel. I was airlifted to the trauma unit where a cat scan of my fractured collarbone showed nodules deep in the thyroid tissue which could not be felt by touch clinically. I was finally diagnosed with papillary carcinoma, follicular variant, total thyroid removal plus thyroid carcinoma in five of six lymph nodes. Now at 58 years old in 2013, and still going for 6-month cancer checks.

Comment from: Aunty M, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis after mentioning to a new general physician that I had been diagnosed in the past with thyroid problems and she did blood work which showed really high cholesterol issues and thyroid levels were out of whack. I also at the same time was and still am suffering with palindromic rheumatism, menopause, and now rheumatoid arthritis. The weight gain is out of control and I find some days I cannot drive too far as I have micro sleeps. I am on 200 mg of Eutroxsig (thyroxine). I am now starting to suffer with fluid retention so I'm going to ask for a meeting with a specialist.

Comment from: Shelsybug, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I slept for 3 years. I have multiple sclerosis (MS) so I thought that was the problem, but got tested for TSH T3 and T4 and was diagnosed with Hashimoto's.

Comment from: Debs, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I had been on Synthroid for 13 years with continuing symptoms of hypothyroidism. Among other symptoms, my hair was flying out of my head. It took years to find a doctor who would look beyond my TSH level. It"s important to know your Free T3, Reverse T3 and T4 levels. I was not converting T4 into the much needed Free T3. My Reverse T3 was too high. Reverse T3 blocks the Free T3 thus, my continued hypothyroid symptoms.

Comment from: LabRatCassie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

What you all need to know and understand is just because a TSH and T4 Free are within normal range, means nothing if you are having symptoms! The reference range for a TSH can run anywhere from 0.36-3.74 and 0.39-5.00! In laboratory standards, this is a large gap. A TSH and T4 Free, should only be done to monitor progression of an already diagnosed hyper/hypothyroid individual. Luckily, since I have worked in a clinical lab for 12 years, I know this and understand why I have a positive ANA, elevated WBC count, vague symptoms, etc. So I knew to have a TPO done. This is a thyroid peroxidase antibody. If you have symptoms and TSH and T4 Free are normal tell your doctor to test this antibody! It is possibly the only way to diagnose Hashimoto"s!

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis Question: How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.