Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms

The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Aunty M, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis after mentioning to a new general physician that I had been diagnosed in the past with thyroid problems and she did blood work which showed really high cholesterol issues and thyroid levels were out of whack. I also at the same time was and still am suffering with palindromic rheumatism, menopause, and now rheumatoid arthritis. The weight gain is out of control and I find some days I cannot drive too far as I have micro sleeps. I am on 200 mg of Eutroxsig (thyroxine). I am now starting to suffer with fluid retention so I'm going to ask for a meeting with a specialist.

Comment from: Shelsybug, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I slept for 3 years. I have multiple sclerosis (MS) so I thought that was the problem, but got tested for TSH T3 and T4 and was diagnosed with Hashimoto's.

Comment from: Debs, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I had been on Synthroid for 13 years with continuing symptoms of hypothyroidism. Among other symptoms, my hair was flying out of my head. It took years to find a doctor who would look beyond my TSH level. It"s important to know your Free T3, Reverse T3 and T4 levels. I was not converting T4 into the much needed Free T3. My Reverse T3 was too high. Reverse T3 blocks the Free T3 thus, my continued hypothyroid symptoms.

Comment from: LabRatCassie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

What you all need to know and understand is just because a TSH and T4 Free are within normal range, means nothing if you are having symptoms! The reference range for a TSH can run anywhere from 0.36-3.74 and 0.39-5.00! In laboratory standards, this is a large gap. A TSH and T4 Free, should only be done to monitor progression of an already diagnosed hyper/hypothyroid individual. Luckily, since I have worked in a clinical lab for 12 years, I know this and understand why I have a positive ANA, elevated WBC count, vague symptoms, etc. So I knew to have a TPO done. This is a thyroid peroxidase antibody. If you have symptoms and TSH and T4 Free are normal tell your doctor to test this antibody! It is possibly the only way to diagnose Hashimoto"s!

Comment from: donn\a, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

My Hashimoto's was undiagnosed for years - until I took in a bag of hair to the doctor. Also my hands were split open, I was making myself salt and vinegar drinks, without knowing why and was constantly wrapped in blankets by the fire. By the time my doctor finally heard me, even knowing the thyroid history of my family, I was an absolute mess. So my advice is to speak up until you are heard.

Comment from: HL, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I really wish I could find someone who can understand what I am going through. Almost every day I have extreme fatigue, stubborn weight, depression, thyroid pain and swelling like you wouldn't believe; yet the only treatment is levothyroxine, which is what I am already taking.

Comment from: Dejia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

Today I was finally diagnosed with Hashimoto's. I have been telling my doctors for 8 years that something was wrong. For the last 3 years, (after I found out it ran in my family), I have been trying to get someone to listen to me. I ended up with almost perfect numbers every time I was tested, a little on the low side however. Although a synthetic drug was prescribed the symptoms never got much better-even as the dosage was increased. I ended up with a goiter, my hair falling out, joint pain, to the point of not being able to move around, along with a laundry list of all the other symptoms which I was suffering but can't be seen. When I went for the follow up today, some of the numbers although in range were off but, (big but), the antibody test was off the charts. The conclusion I made after this visit is that the numbers are a myth. There are a set of numbers for my body that is unique to me. I shouldn't have had to go through 8 years to finally have somebody listen to me.

Comment from: Amanda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I was diagnosed a month ago and was just so tired all the time, I was taking ephedrine just to stay awake during the day. I was constipated and had achy legs, dry itchy skin and dry hair. I feel better after being on this thyroid medication. But one endocrinologist said to take an iodine supplement and the second endocrinologist I went to see said not to take it with Hashimoto's. This is so confusing!

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis Question: How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.