Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms

The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Amanda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I was diagnosed a month ago and was just so tired all the time, I was taking ephedrine just to stay awake during the day. I was constipated and had achy legs, dry itchy skin and dry hair. I feel better after being on this thyroid medication. But one endocrinologist said to take an iodine supplement and the second endocrinologist I went to see said not to take it with Hashimoto's. This is so confusing!

Comment from: Brenda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have had Hashimoto disease since I was in my thirties. I have found that the medications do not take away all of my symptoms, depression is a big one for me as also the tingling down my butt and legs, waking up early and being wet around my throat area.

Comment from: Nida, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I got diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis by my dermatologist, who I was seeing for alopecia areata. I was 25 at that time, and am 26 now. He advised me to get TSH and auto-antibodies test done. I had no symptoms except alopecia, and was always known for my extra energy, so much so that I initially thought that I would have hyperthyroid. However, I did have a reputation for sleeping for hours and feeling breathless. I developed anxiety and would have anxiety panic attacks, diarrhea because of anxiety, etc. but this was because I was depressed of being diagnosed with a lifelong disease.

Comment from: helpfortheunknown, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis over 5 years ago. Prior to my diagnosis I experienced several symptoms such as, cold tremors, moon face, chronic fatigue and chronic depression. I'm trying so hard to reinvent myself so that I can remain to have some type of normalcy. The problem is I'm always tired and frequently depressed.

Comment from: Paula, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

My major symptom for Hashimoto's thyroiditis was extreme tiredness. I always had tons of energy, but I found myself taking two-hour naps each day of the weekend. I was probably mildly depressed as well because I was always so sleepy and lost my “energizer bunny” personality. My secondary symptoms were dry hair and nails. I was 43 when I was diagnosed. I'm 49 now.

Published: July 15

I dropped my daughter off at school and fell asleep only to wake up right before it was time to pick her up! This happened three days in a row. The fourth day I was in the doctor's office. I knew this was not normal: Most people have enough energy to make it through the day. I found out that Hashimoto's thyroiditis in my family all over the place. I've been struggling with it for years and didn't know. With three pregnancies, my thyroid was wacky afterward, but I just didn't know that at the time. I thought maybe it was my hormones adjusting. I also had muscle cramping, chest pain that landed me in emergency room, a muscle ache in my arm pit area, and aching finger joints as if I had carpal tunnel syndrome. Depression was mild, but it was there. I also felt as if I were in a mental fog. I could not recall names, or titles of books, or authors. I could not concentrate and wondered why I felt so foggy. The only way to focus was with caffeine, but it would wear off right away. Now that I'm on Synthroid, my symptoms are all starting to fade, thankfully. I did gain 20 pounds, which have not come off yet but hopefully with some time and work, I can shed it.

Published: July 11

I experienced extreme depression, fatigue, and muscle cramps. I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. My treatment is to take supplemental dose (30 mg) of Armour Thyroid each day and we'll check things in a month. I ended up at a neuropsychiatrist because, though I was extremely depressed, I knew it had to be physical. He ran 20 labs and diagnosed me. My primary doctor, who I've gone to for years, ran only the basic thyroid and iron tests but nothing more and wouldn't have detected it. So ... for two years I have been searching. It does matter who you go to. This doctor did say that many times endocrinologists will not prescribe anything for the Hashimoto's but that he has found that just a small dose will make the autoimmune attack stop.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis Question: How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.