Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms

The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: sritnavarre, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

When I was 21 I was told I had Hashimoto's. My symptoms are worse now than ever. I haven't had the money for my medications in over two months. I have depression, fatigue, swelling in my hands and my feet, numb finger tips, memory loss and I have been having issues with feeling like my throat is swelling shut. I hate these feelings! This week has been very hard because I have been achy and my muscles feel tight and like there giving out.

Comment from: Pinky, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I had chronic fatigue, severe hairlessness, and heart palpitations of 180 bpm at rest and was regularly given ECGs because of that. I also had nighttime leg cramps, brittle nails and poor memory/concentration, I had high cholesterol and needed B12 supplements too. All the while my TSH was measuring 3 - perfectly normal. Only when it went up to 4 was I given thyroid medications (4 until recently was still in the normal range). I was given medications for over ten years after my symptoms began at the age of 30. I put on over 30 lbs. in that time but luckily I was skinny to begin with and forced myself to do heaps of sport, so I'm still not overweight. I absolutely encourage all women with thyroid symptoms who are in 'normal' range to seek out a specialist, I didn't do this because I had no idea about thyroid disease, but I wish I had. My life is so much better now I have thyroid medications, I haven't had any heart palpitations since and now I just wish my hair would grow back.

Comment from: sinnie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

I am sixty years young. I feel 160. About 12 years ago I told my general physician I had a thyroid problem. They ran my TSH and said I was "in the normal range". Then seven years ago my symptoms were: cramping in legs, headache, extreme fatigue, mood issues, hair loss, nails splitting and ridges, yellowing of nails on large toe, feeling as if I was being choked, unable to wear a turtle neck; dry skin, coarse hair, eyebrow loss, high cholesterol and triglycerides and a goiter that made my entire neck disappear with a TSH of 41 as I hobbled into the emergency ward. I was in bed for the next three months waiting for levothyroxine to help me not want to kill myself. I was in so much pain all over, especially headaches. It has taken me almost eight years and today I finally got into an endocrine specialist who suspects I have Hashimoto.

Comment from: Cat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease and had to have my thyroid gland removed entirely. Ever since it's extremely hard to lose weight, I don't grow hair under my arms and hardly on my legs. I am on a large dose of Synthroid but still get very tired and I have no appetite but still gain weight. I am interested in finding what to do to try to lose weight with this disease. I found the disease when I noticed I was having a hard time swallowing and my throat area was very tight. The goiter I had was growing inward and pressing on my larynx.

Comment from: Christine, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

What most people don't know is that Hashimoto's involves both hypo and hyperthyroid symptoms. This disease can swing both ways depending on your thyroid and whether it is over or under producing the T4 hormone. I suffered with Hashimoto's for eight years before I was correctly diagnosed. Before being treated, most of the time I had symptoms of hypothyroidism such as fatigue, depression, and weight gain for no reason. If left untreated, hypothyroidism can cause further problems, including changes in menstrual cycles, prevention of ovulation, an increased risk of miscarriage, and may progress to other serious consequences including heart failure. I would also go through extreme bouts of hyperthyroidism a few times a year. This is a condition that happens when there is too much thyroid hormone. These symptoms include: insomnia, irritability, weight loss without dieting, heat sensitivity and increased perspiration, thinning of your skin, fine or brittle hair, muscular weakness, eye changes, lighter menstrual flow, rapid heartbeat and shaky hands. It is important to know that too much thyroid replacement hormone can mimic the symptoms of hyperthyroidism.

Comment from: Forsaken, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

In 1992 diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and Sjogren's syndrome at 37. Five years later my rheumatologist diagnosed Hashimoto's thyroiditis, but I was not treated because my blood levels were within normal range. I suffered for 15 years with depression, anxiety and phobia disorders during which time my medical doctors plus two endocrinologists told me to see a psychiatrist and I was put on 200 mg of Zoloft, 50 mg of trazodone, and clonazepam, but no Synthroid. My dry skin, hair, joint and muscle pain was attributed to Sjogren's and RA, as well as exhaustion, brain fog, and mood swings/personality disorder. In 2009, after 17 years, the breakup of my 32 year marriage, I was in a tragic car accident caused by passing out at the wheel. I was airlifted to the trauma unit where a cat scan of my fractured collarbone showed nodules deep in the thyroid tissue which could not be felt by touch clinically. I was finally diagnosed with papillary carcinoma, follicular variant, total thyroid removal plus thyroid carcinoma in five of six lymph nodes. Now at 58 years old in 2013, and still going for 6-month cancer checks.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis Question: How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.