Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms

The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: viola, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

At first I felt good, but went to the eye doctor with torn retina. I had headaches. I experienced coldness, numbness, tingling, blurry vision, pain, carpal tunnel, couldn"t go on walks without tiring out quickly and hair falling out. I was going hypo and hyper thyroid back and forth so it took several months for doctors to figure it out. I had Hashimoto"s thyrotoxicosis and now it"s just Hashimoto"s. Eight months later I have about half of my hair still and it is not falling out! Yay! I am on 100 MCG Synthroid and doing better but it is hard to be patient. I want to be like I was before all this. The doctor said it could take a few more months!

Comment from: armymom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's 5+ years ago. I've been to 2 different doctors who have changed my medications several times. My weight and cholesterol increased, my mood swings became uncontrollable and I became severely depressed. One doctor had me convinced I needed anxiety medication. Both doctors only relied on my TSH levels. If the levels were in the normal range, they didn't think my concerns were viable. I feel horrible. I felt much better before I went on Synthroid. I have now been off Synthroid for 2 weeks. So far so good. I'm no dummy; I'm closely monitoring everything so if the slightest need arises, I will be seeing my doctor. I know it takes time and I may still have some Synthroid in my system. But for now, I feel ok.

Comment from: Lina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

When I was 14 years old my mom noticed a few things wrong with me. 1) I was so tired all the time that when I came home from school I had to sleep for about 2 to 3 hrs. 2) My grades in school dropped because I couldn't focus on anything. 3) My hair was dry and gray started to appear. There wasn't a doctor that could diagnose me and by the time I was 33 I had a very hard time conceiving and after 2 miscarriages and passing out in the middle of the street from lack of energy and pains all over my body, finally a doctor saw the size of my neck and did an ANA test - it was then that I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's. By that time I had multiple cold nodules that led to the total removal of my thyroid. I am now 56 and have 2 grown children, my daughter with Hashimoto antibodies and my son with a hormonal deficiency due to lack of human chorionic gonadotropin that led him to briefly stop growing and have the testosterone levels of a 4 year old but, he was 11. Thank goodness that I acted fast and found him a child endocrinologist that took care of it. Meanwhile I believe my Hashimoto's had a lot to do with all this.

Comment from: Rhiannon, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I was found to have Hashimoto's thyroiditis when I was 12. I had a large swelling on my throat which caused some alarm when my mother realized it was there. Aside from that I apparently had no symptoms but when I was diagnosed, it was found that my growth had been stunted as a result. Thankfully with medication I was able to catch up (and not look like I was perpetually 8 years old) though I still look like I am in my mid-teens at 24.

Comment from: Jet, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

It has taken almost 20 years for the doctors to diagnose me with Hashimoto's. I started with a positive serum RA (rheumatoid arthritis). It continued with aches, severe hip pain, you name it. Almost all the doctors, I felt thought I was crazy. After an MRI for something else, they found that I only had a right thyroid lobe left. The left had been destroyed after all these years. Now with a true diagnosis and levothyroxine for 6 months, I have slept well, no aches and pains (other than hips) and no more constipation. I feel so much better and look forward to even getting better. Note though, to have a baseline bone scan done. At 30 years old I had osteopenia added to the list and they now feel it was from the Hashimoto's.

Comment from: sritnavarre, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

When I was 21 I was told I had Hashimoto's. My symptoms are worse now than ever. I haven't had the money for my medications in over two months. I have depression, fatigue, swelling in my hands and my feet, numb finger tips, memory loss and I have been having issues with feeling like my throat is swelling shut. I hate these feelings! This week has been very hard because I have been achy and my muscles feel tight and like there giving out.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis Question: How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.