Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms

The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Cat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease and had to have my thyroid gland removed entirely. Ever since it's extremely hard to lose weight, I don't grow hair under my arms and hardly on my legs. I am on a large dose of Synthroid but still get very tired and I have no appetite but still gain weight. I am interested in finding what to do to try to lose weight with this disease. I found the disease when I noticed I was having a hard time swallowing and my throat area was very tight. The goiter I had was growing inward and pressing on my larynx.

Comment from: Christine, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

What most people don't know is that Hashimoto's involves both hypo and hyperthyroid symptoms. This disease can swing both ways depending on your thyroid and whether it is over or under producing the T4 hormone. I suffered with Hashimoto's for eight years before I was correctly diagnosed. Before being treated, most of the time I had symptoms of hypothyroidism such as fatigue, depression, and weight gain for no reason. If left untreated, hypothyroidism can cause further problems, including changes in menstrual cycles, prevention of ovulation, an increased risk of miscarriage, and may progress to other serious consequences including heart failure. I would also go through extreme bouts of hyperthyroidism a few times a year. This is a condition that happens when there is too much thyroid hormone. These symptoms include: insomnia, irritability, weight loss without dieting, heat sensitivity and increased perspiration, thinning of your skin, fine or brittle hair, muscular weakness, eye changes, lighter menstrual flow, rapid heartbeat and shaky hands. It is important to know that too much thyroid replacement hormone can mimic the symptoms of hyperthyroidism.

Comment from: Forsaken, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

In 1992 diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and Sjogren's syndrome at 37. Five years later my rheumatologist diagnosed Hashimoto's thyroiditis, but I was not treated because my blood levels were within normal range. I suffered for 15 years with depression, anxiety and phobia disorders during which time my medical doctors plus two endocrinologists told me to see a psychiatrist and I was put on 200 mg of Zoloft, 50 mg of trazodone, and clonazepam, but no Synthroid. My dry skin, hair, joint and muscle pain was attributed to Sjogren's and RA, as well as exhaustion, brain fog, and mood swings/personality disorder. In 2009, after 17 years, the breakup of my 32 year marriage, I was in a tragic car accident caused by passing out at the wheel. I was airlifted to the trauma unit where a cat scan of my fractured collarbone showed nodules deep in the thyroid tissue which could not be felt by touch clinically. I was finally diagnosed with papillary carcinoma, follicular variant, total thyroid removal plus thyroid carcinoma in five of six lymph nodes. Now at 58 years old in 2013, and still going for 6-month cancer checks.

Comment from: donn\a, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

My Hashimoto's was undiagnosed for years - until I took in a bag of hair to the doctor. Also my hands were split open, I was making myself salt and vinegar drinks, without knowing why and was constantly wrapped in blankets by the fire. By the time my doctor finally heard me, even knowing the thyroid history of my family, I was an absolute mess. So my advice is to speak up until you are heard.

Comment from: HL, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I really wish I could find someone who can understand what I am going through. Almost every day I have extreme fatigue, stubborn weight, depression, thyroid pain and swelling like you wouldn't believe; yet the only treatment is levothyroxine, which is what I am already taking.

Comment from: Dejia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

Today I was finally diagnosed with Hashimoto's. I have been telling my doctors for 8 years that something was wrong. For the last 3 years, (after I found out it ran in my family), I have been trying to get someone to listen to me. I ended up with almost perfect numbers every time I was tested, a little on the low side however. Although a synthetic drug was prescribed the symptoms never got much better-even as the dosage was increased. I ended up with a goiter, my hair falling out, joint pain, to the point of not being able to move around, along with a laundry list of all the other symptoms which I was suffering but can't be seen. When I went for the follow up today, some of the numbers although in range were off but, (big but), the antibody test was off the charts. The conclusion I made after this visit is that the numbers are a myth. There are a set of numbers for my body that is unique to me. I shouldn't have had to go through 8 years to finally have somebody listen to me.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis Question: How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.