Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms

The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Angela, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis at fourteen years old and have been struggling with it ever since. I have every single symptom and just recently got my dose of Synthroid upped to 50 mcg, it is extremely frustrating dealing with the symptoms and knowing this will be around for the rest of your life. I feel like I am doing badly in school because it is so hard for me to stay awake and focused.

Comment from: DebJDavis, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

My symptoms on the onset of Hashimoto's thyroiditis were constipation, weight gain and fatigue.

Comment from: qplady0831, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I have been battling what I believed was just hypothyroidism. Since January 2015 I have had so many symptoms it would take forever to list. I have told the doctors that I felt just like I did before I started taking medication about 4 years ago. They finally discovered, since I told them my mother had a goiter up to her death, that I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I am on levothyroxine, almost 4 years now. Yes, my numbers are right but I feel horrible.

Comment from: Thyroidpatient, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis in 1993. My symptoms were zero energy, very little appetite, weight gain, extreme swelling, feeling like I was in a fog mentally, voice changes, no period, slow reflexes, high cholesterol, etc. I was first given Synthroid. The swelling went away, I gradually felt somewhat better but still always felt mentally off. My doctor prescribed Cytomel as well as Synthroid at this point. Cytomel helps tremendously with the mental fogginess if Synthroid alone does not.

Comment from: kitkat, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

My symptoms at onset of Hashimoto's (at age 28) were chronic, recurring hives and angioedema, fatigue, cold feet and hands, brain fog, sleepiness, depressed mood, dry skin, painful periods, muscle cramps, and bad breath.

Comment from: Karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

My TSH level was 3.7 mIU/L last October of 2013, at the onset of Hashimoto's thyroiditis. But after I had Avelox therapy, it rose to 14.37 mlU/L on May 5, went down slightly on May 9 and on June 10 went down to 10+. However, the thyroid peroxidase antibody rose from 600 on May 28 to 3000 on June 12, 2014. I also started hearing singing, chanting, wailing and screaming starting in May. I am terrified. A doctor put me on Synthroid 25 mcg which I started taking on May 28, but another doctor told me to stop taking it. Unfortunately, I followed the latter's advice, and now I am on the verge of a nervous breakdown as I cannot get rid of the singing, chanting and wailing.

Comment from: Ishu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

Although I was eating normally, I gained over 8 kg in a few months, coupled with feeling of breathlessness and leg cramps. I started experiencing irregular periods, swollen face, neck, feet, and to make things worse, I no longer wanted to be in crowd, felt sad over almost anything and still have unbelievable mood swings. I am used to researching everything, so I typed in all these symptoms on Google and guessed about Hashimoto's. Then, I got T3, T4 and TSH tested, my TSH was only 5.5 meaning I had just started to have the symptoms. Unfortunately, the doctor that I had gone to see advised that I was only 25 and too young for a medication of a life-long disease. I should rather exercise more and follow a diet and my thyroid should be gone in a few months. I was happy and worked out really hard sweating a lot and followed a strict diet. However, my thyroid symptoms got worse, my legs cramps gave me nightmares and I have been more depressed than ever. Depression hurts me the most, I really loved being happy and mostly known among everyone for being jolly. I am slowly losing that part of me. So, instead of waiting for thyroid to get worse, this time I saw a thyroid hospital and followed up with a senior doctor, who took further tests and figured out that my TSH had gone from 5.5 to 9.8 in less than a month. I have been prescribed with Thyronorm which I am taking since a week and my leg cramps are already gone.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis Question: How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.