Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms

The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Debs, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I had been on Synthroid for 13 years with continuing symptoms of hypothyroidism. Among other symptoms, my hair was flying out of my head. It took years to find a doctor who would look beyond my TSH level. It"s important to know your Free T3, Reverse T3 and T4 levels. I was not converting T4 into the much needed Free T3. My Reverse T3 was too high. Reverse T3 blocks the Free T3 thus, my continued hypothyroid symptoms.

Comment from: LabRatCassie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

What you all need to know and understand is just because a TSH and T4 Free are within normal range, means nothing if you are having symptoms! The reference range for a TSH can run anywhere from 0.36-3.74 and 0.39-5.00! In laboratory standards, this is a large gap. A TSH and T4 Free, should only be done to monitor progression of an already diagnosed hyper/hypothyroid individual. Luckily, since I have worked in a clinical lab for 12 years, I know this and understand why I have a positive ANA, elevated WBC count, vague symptoms, etc. So I knew to have a TPO done. This is a thyroid peroxidase antibody. If you have symptoms and TSH and T4 Free are normal tell your doctor to test this antibody! It is possibly the only way to diagnose Hashimoto"s!

Comment from: Jet, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

It has taken almost 20 years for the doctors to diagnose me with Hashimoto's. I started with a positive serum RA (rheumatoid arthritis). It continued with aches, severe hip pain, you name it. Almost all the doctors, I felt thought I was crazy. After an MRI for something else, they found that I only had a right thyroid lobe left. The left had been destroyed after all these years. Now with a true diagnosis and levothyroxine for 6 months, I have slept well, no aches and pains (other than hips) and no more constipation. I feel so much better and look forward to even getting better. Note though, to have a baseline bone scan done. At 30 years old I had osteopenia added to the list and they now feel it was from the Hashimoto's.

Comment from: sritnavarre, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

When I was 21 I was told I had Hashimoto's. My symptoms are worse now than ever. I haven't had the money for my medications in over two months. I have depression, fatigue, swelling in my hands and my feet, numb finger tips, memory loss and I have been having issues with feeling like my throat is swelling shut. I hate these feelings! This week has been very hard because I have been achy and my muscles feel tight and like there giving out.

Comment from: Pinky, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I had chronic fatigue, severe hairlessness, and heart palpitations of 180 bpm at rest and was regularly given ECGs because of that. I also had nighttime leg cramps, brittle nails and poor memory/concentration, I had high cholesterol and needed B12 supplements too. All the while my TSH was measuring 3 - perfectly normal. Only when it went up to 4 was I given thyroid medications (4 until recently was still in the normal range). I was given medications for over ten years after my symptoms began at the age of 30. I put on over 30 lbs. in that time but luckily I was skinny to begin with and forced myself to do heaps of sport, so I'm still not overweight. I absolutely encourage all women with thyroid symptoms who are in 'normal' range to seek out a specialist, I didn't do this because I had no idea about thyroid disease, but I wish I had. My life is so much better now I have thyroid medications, I haven't had any heart palpitations since and now I just wish my hair would grow back.

Comment from: sinnie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

I am sixty years young. I feel 160. About 12 years ago I told my general physician I had a thyroid problem. They ran my TSH and said I was "in the normal range". Then seven years ago my symptoms were: cramping in legs, headache, extreme fatigue, mood issues, hair loss, nails splitting and ridges, yellowing of nails on large toe, feeling as if I was being choked, unable to wear a turtle neck; dry skin, coarse hair, eyebrow loss, high cholesterol and triglycerides and a goiter that made my entire neck disappear with a TSH of 41 as I hobbled into the emergency ward. I was in bed for the next three months waiting for levothyroxine to help me not want to kill myself. I was in so much pain all over, especially headaches. It has taken me almost eight years and today I finally got into an endocrine specialist who suspects I have Hashimoto.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis Question: How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.