Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms

The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Pajamma Flannel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I was 53 when I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis but I believe I've had it for most of my life. Ever since a child I have always been freezing cold. I wear jackets in the house and wear two winter jackets in winter. I've been plagued with constipation my entire life, and have battled fatigue and depression. When I was 32 I went into premature ovarian failure. For over 20 years I went to doctors telling them that I thought something was wrong with my thyroid. Finally, some doctor did figure it out with appropriate tests. Had this been discovered back when I was a child, I'm sure I would have had a much better life.

Comment from: Angela, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis at fourteen years old and have been struggling with it ever since. I have every single symptom and just recently got my dose of Synthroid upped to 50 mcg, it is extremely frustrating dealing with the symptoms and knowing this will be around for the rest of your life. I feel like I am doing badly in school because it is so hard for me to stay awake and focused.

Comment from: DebJDavis, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

My symptoms on the onset of Hashimoto's thyroiditis were constipation, weight gain and fatigue.

Comment from: lyslys, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

For the past year I thought I was going crazy. I was chronically tired all the time, to the point of not wanting to hang out with friends and getting frustrated if I knew I would not make it to bed on time. I have been irritable to the point where my mother told me everyone around me thought I was having mood swings. Then all of a sudden I gained almost 30 pounds in the past 3 months and I never gain weight. I haven't changed my eating habits either. My gynecologist said my thyroid panel was fine but my endocrinologist found the antibody and the number was very high although my TSH was fine. He diagnosed me with Hashimoto's thyroiditis and put me on Synthroid but for the past week I have had really bad nausea, chills, and anxiety as side effects. I don't know what to do! I only recently found all this out maybe 2 weeks ago, so the frustration is pretty fresh.

Comment from: Olivia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis at 20 and am still in the process of getting my thyroxine medicines right. I went to the doctor because I was having trouble with panic attacks and anxiety, but he ordered TSH and T4 bloodwork which all showed I was hypothyroid. Prior to that though, I had noticed I was having on/off weeks of feeling so run down and exhausted mixed with being very energetic and positive. I had absolutely no appetite when I was tired though, and ended up losing weight. I was also having problems with feeling very faint and losing my vision when I stood up; though that could have easily been from not eating at all.

Comment from: Thyroidpatient, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis in 1993. My symptoms were zero energy, very little appetite, weight gain, extreme swelling, feeling like I was in a fog mentally, voice changes, no period, slow reflexes, high cholesterol, etc. I was first given Synthroid. The swelling went away, I gradually felt somewhat better but still always felt mentally off. My doctor prescribed Cytomel as well as Synthroid at this point. Cytomel helps tremendously with the mental fogginess if Synthroid alone does not.

Comment from: kitkat, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

My symptoms at onset of Hashimoto's (at age 28) were chronic, recurring hives and angioedema, fatigue, cold feet and hands, brain fog, sleepiness, depressed mood, dry skin, painful periods, muscle cramps, and bad breath.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis Question: How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy Question: If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.