Patient Comments: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments

What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Comment from: LoriAgar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

On Friday I woke up feeling lethargic, by the evening I was running a fever of 100.3. The next day fever was on and off, then spots started showing up, on hands, chest, feet, and blisters in my mouth and on my lips. Sunday, today, my hands are itching intensely, no appetite, it hurts to eat. I have been eating really soft food and drinking water. I went to clinic, the doctor looked like he wanted to run from me! Sure enough it was hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). He asked if I had been around any babies. No, I had not. I starting thinking and I have a friend that came by Tuesday that has a girlfriend with a baby in daycare. The only things that seems to help are hydrogen peroxide mouth wash, baking soda paste for brushing teeth, Cortizone and Benadryl for itching, Blistex for my lips, Advil for fever and headaches, dry eye drops, and when the itching is really bad holding something frozen. I got prescriptions for an antibiotic for secondary infections (he said in adults we can get sinus infections), steroids for the inflammation and itching and Cepacol to numb my mouth. This is only day 3 of having it or day 5 since exposure. I hope it is better soon, this is worse than the flu!

Comment from: Charlene, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I happened to have handled chilled plain yogurt with my hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease riddled left hand. The cold, thick yogurt coated my hand nicely and almost instantly soothed the stingy/itchy spots. I thought the effect was just due to the coolness of the yogurt, but the soothing effect lasted until I fell asleep (I rinsed the yogurt off after just a few minutes). The following morning, my left hand felt and looked way better than my right (which did not get slathered in yogurt). Getting more yogurt for my feet and right hand!

Comment from: Monica0228, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I got hand foot and mouth (HFM) virus from my son and it is horrible. The itching reminded me of what I went thru with chicken pox... It's continuously itching to the point where I wanted rip my hands off. After trying cortisone, steroid creams, Caladryl, and Benadryl gel all day, nothing worked. Finally I drank 4 teaspoons of Benadryl and put ice packs on my hand and I'm not sure which of those two helped but my itch is relieved. I hope this helps some of you because I've been reading blogs all day and found that nothing worked.

Comment from: Aef, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 24

Ice water will save you from the insane itching. I read one of these posts where I got the idea. I got hand, foot, and mouth disease from my son. Doctor said rash is non-itchy but that is in kids (usually), for adults it is crazy itchy. Soaking hands in ice water (I added oatmeal too) has saved me from the unbearable itch. It gives only 30 to 60 minutes relief, so I keep a pot in fridge and can be close to functional. I never post on these things but wanted to here in case it helps others in the same situation. Also the colder it is, harder to stand but helps longer.

Comment from: Dchjones, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 05

My 2 1/2 year old daughter came down with HFM disease and ran a fever for 2 days, had loss of appetite, runny nose then the spots/rash appeared after the fever broke. She had it the worst around her mouth (none inside), then on her hands, heels of her feet, and diaper area. I got it as she was clearing up and didn't think I had the same thing. My symptoms were so severe. It started with intensely itchy hands that woke me up in the morning. By the end of that first day I started to develop the rash and a little tingling on my hands. I woke up that night at 1AM and was up for the rest of the night/day with the most intense burning/itching I've ever felt. I've had shingles and this was worse! It lasted the whole next day and night (yes, 2 nights of no sleep). Today is day 3 and the pain is gone but the bumps/rash are still on my hands, some developed on my feet, and also around my nose. I will say that once the bumps/rash "came out" the pain left. I alternated between a steroid skin cream, Benadryl, and Calamine. I took Advil and Benadryl. Nothing helped like ice did. Hold ice packs all day, soak your feet; wrap your hands at night if you have to (that's what I did). It's soothing and numbing and will draw the heat out. It's aggressive, extremely contagious, and the most miserable thing I've experienced to date.

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused your hand, foot, and mouth disease?