Patient Comments: Hand Foot and Mouth Syndrome - Treatments

What treatment did you receive for hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease?

Comment from: Dchjones, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 05

My 2 1/2 year old daughter came down with HFM disease and ran a fever for 2 days, had loss of appetite, runny nose then the spots/rash appeared after the fever broke. She had it the worst around her mouth (none inside), then on her hands, heels of her feet, and diaper area. I got it as she was clearing up and didn't think I had the same thing. My symptoms were so severe. It started with intensely itchy hands that woke me up in the morning. By the end of that first day I started to develop the rash and a little tingling on my hands. I woke up that night at 1AM and was up for the rest of the night/day with the most intense burning/itching I've ever felt. I've had shingles and this was worse! It lasted the whole next day and night (yes, 2 nights of no sleep). Today is day 3 and the pain is gone but the bumps/rash are still on my hands, some developed on my feet, and also around my nose. I will say that once the bumps/rash "came out" the pain left. I alternated between a steroid skin cream, Benadryl, and Calamine. I took Advil and Benadryl. Nothing helped like ice did. Hold ice packs all day, soak your feet; wrap your hands at night if you have to (that's what I did). It's soothing and numbing and will draw the heat out. It's aggressive, extremely contagious, and the most miserable thing I've experienced to date.

Comment from: Uncertain mom, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 08

I just took my 12 year old to the nurse practitioner (NP) today only to find out she has HFM and was told there was nothing they could do for her. She came home from school yesterday with bumps on her feet and on her hands this morning. She has had the sore throat, fever and headache already. The NP said to go ahead and send her back to school because the contagious time has probably already passed. As she sits at my bedside tonight crying because of her foot pain and itching, I have no clue what to do for her. We weren't informed of the pain and itching this also causes and I don't know what to do for my girl.

Comment from: Toddlermom, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 08

My 15-month girl started Tuesday with some fever and lots of drooling. I thought it was because she was teething or maybe ear infection. By Wednesday she developed sores on her tongue and ended up in the emergency room late at night in pain. She was diagnosed with stomatitis and prescribed Tylenol and Motrin alternating to lower the fever, and Benadryl syrup to help her sleep. Next Thursday her pediatrician said it was hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease and told us to mix of 1 ounce lidocaine, 1 ounce Benadryl, and 1 ounce Maalox and give her 1 tablespoon every 4 hours. It's Friday now and she's got some blisters on her feet and a lot of red dots on her diaper area. She is drinking liquids through a syringe. I have been washing my hands and everything she touches gets disinfected. I am washing sheets and clothes daily.

Comment from: Hml experience, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 28

My 2 1/2 year old daughter was saying that she had a sore in her hand but I could not see anything. Throughout the night she started scratching her hands continuously but because I didn"t see anything on her hands I brushed it off. The next night she then woke up again in the middle of the night itching profusely. I turned the light in looked at her hands and that"s when I saw the small flat bumps. I looked up the symptoms and found out it was (hand foot and mouth) HFM disease. This was also going around her school so I was certain that was what she had. I took her to the doctor, of course there was nothing they can do. They prescribed Benadryl for the pain. On the 4th day her feet started itching, so both hands and now both feet. It"s been 7 days and every night it"s been the same getting up and trying to help keep her calm to fall back asleep. I went back to the doctor thinking they can do more but they just prescribed some rash cream. We tried that and it does not work either. I"m irritated that I can"t help my child in need and that this virus has lasted so long, I wish it would go away.

Comment from: mamainseattle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

My 2 year old son's symptoms started with being extremely irritable and just crying out loud, was very clingy. Next day I noticed a rash on his face and thought was from binky drool. Next day, there were 5 rashes on his chin under his mouth, a few along his lower lip on this inside, and on the edge of his tongue, a few on his hands and feet. He already was diagnosed with hand foot mouth last year, and I went to see the doctor who confirmed it and as it was viral, there was no treatment, but then I got it. It started with malaise and sore throat and progressed to mild 100.3 fever, chills, severe sore throat, couldn't eat because it hurt to swallow. I gurgled salt water to kill bacteria, sucked on cough drops, ate smooth, cold foods like cottage cheese/ice cream/honey tea, took Tylenol before bedtime to sleep, rested and napped; all this helped and gave temporary relief. My condition got worse for the next couple of days with severe sore throat and rashes on hands. I found alternative smooth, filling foods like risotto, scrambled eggs, pureed soups, fruit smoothies which worked well. I am happy to be eating.

Hand Foot and Mouth Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused hand foot and mouth Disease?