Patient Comments: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments

What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Comment from: Desperately sick, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I am a 55 year old female and this is day 5 of hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). My symptoms began on Sunday with a nagging headache and nausea. Day 2 headache, nausea, and low grade fever. Day 3 headache was gone, but I had nausea, 101.4 degree fever and horrible sore throat (worse than strep). I went to the doctor had negative strep test and negative flu test. I tried to tell the doctor I had been exposed to HFMD. He put me on medicines for a sinus infection. Sore throat was almost unbearable. Day 4 I was fever free. Throat was better but that evening my hands started feeling like they were going to sleep. I had tingling and burning of hands/feet and red spots on hands/feet. Day 5 hands/feet continue to sting, and it is almost impossible to walk or grip things. The pain is excruciating! Thank goodness the sore throat is better! I will have to say I've had several illnesses, surgery, and injuries. HFMD is by far the absolute worst! I've been in isolation for 5 days (self-administered). If you contract it there isn't much that can be done except to drink plenty of fluids; warm liquids helped my throat, Tylenol or Advil for the pain. As far as the blisters nothing has helped I'm sorry to say. I'm just praying that these blisters will be better tomorrow.

Comment from: Sheetal, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 03

My 9 month old baby acquired this hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) and pediatrician advised to apply Lacto Calamine (LC) lotion over the itching area. It seems to be a virus. HFMD is probably a viral infection. It just lasted for 3 days and after application of LC lotion, and all dried up. Nothing to worry. I observed that it happened after a severe cold and cough attack. Probably it is to do with immunity.

Comment from: Michelle C., 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 26

Thank you to the people who mentioned using yogurt for the itching associated with hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). My 9 year old daughter was crying from the itching on her feet after enduring all the other symptoms (fever, mouth sores, etc.) I felt so sorry for her, but didn't know how to bring her any relief. I gave her a dose of allergy medicine and coated both of her feet in yogurt. I was amazed at how quickly the yogurt soothed her feet. She is resting now, finally. I have another tub of yogurt ready for her when she wakes just in case!

Comment from: teresa14, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

Hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) has to be one of the most annoying and painful viruses out there. The first day, I got flu-like symptoms. I had a massive headache, couldn't stop coughing, my whole body's muscles were sore, and I was freezing one minute then overly hot the next. I lay in bed for the whole day with no energy whatsoever. I even barely had energy to go to the bathroom. The second day, all of those symptoms were gone except for a painful sore throat. I thought the worst was over but boy was I wrong! The third day, the rash and blisters came. The itching will drive you insane. It makes sleeping almost impossible because all you want to do is scratch yourself like crazy. I had to muster so much self-control in order not to scratch my hands as I knew it would only make things worse. I tried taking Advil and slathering on hydrocortisone anti-itch cream but they could only help so much. I'm currently on my fourth day and I have been developing more blisters and red spots on my hands and foot. I really hope I recover from this soon. I will try using yogurt as someone mentioned before to see if it'll bring relief to my itching.

Comment from: james, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

This is day 2 of the hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). My 4 year old daughter got it and I just started symptoms yesterday. First it started with a sore throat. Then in the middle of the night I had itching all over. I have little red bumps on my nose, a couple on my hands, ears, legs, and butt, not many bumps just a few, but they itch like crazy, even places I don't have bumps still itch. My doctor said try Claritin for the itching and swishing liquid antacid in my mouth, and Motrin for sore throat pain. What is weird is when I eat something my whole tongue kind of stings and hurts to eat the simplest of foods. Very odd disease. I would rather have the flu. Again this is day 2. People are telling me I am just getting started.

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused your hand, foot, and mouth disease?