Patient Comments: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments

What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Comment from: James, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

I'm 44. I thought I might have strep till the itching from the hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) started! I was unable to sleep as I couldn't swallow properly due to the throat. And being awake means you are victim to the itching which is horrific. Gargling with Betadine really helped the throat, then Strepsils really helped! Calamine lotion helped for 45 minutes for itching. I'm now like Baloo the bear rubbing against furniture. I am trying to wear cotton which is helping and have a rub (rather than scratch) every now and then. The only way I could sleep was sitting upright on the sofa with cushions around me. Now on 3 days with 4.5 hours sleep. Really I don't think I have it as bad as others here but it's the most miserable illness I've had in a long time; and I've done shingles and scabies! Good luck. Try and eat soups, it helps to keep the strength up. Careful, hot soups hurt!

Comment from: Desperately sick, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I am a 55 year old female and this is day 5 of hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). My symptoms began on Sunday with a nagging headache and nausea. Day 2 headache, nausea, and low grade fever. Day 3 headache was gone, but I had nausea, 101.4 degree fever and horrible sore throat (worse than strep). I went to the doctor had negative strep test and negative flu test. I tried to tell the doctor I had been exposed to HFMD. He put me on medicines for a sinus infection. Sore throat was almost unbearable. Day 4 I was fever free. Throat was better but that evening my hands started feeling like they were going to sleep. I had tingling and burning of hands/feet and red spots on hands/feet. Day 5 hands/feet continue to sting, and it is almost impossible to walk or grip things. The pain is excruciating! Thank goodness the sore throat is better! I will have to say I've had several illnesses, surgery, and injuries. HFMD is by far the absolute worst! I've been in isolation for 5 days (self-administered). If you contract it there isn't much that can be done except to drink plenty of fluids; warm liquids helped my throat, Tylenol or Advil for the pain. As far as the blisters nothing has helped I'm sorry to say. I'm just praying that these blisters will be better tomorrow.

Comment from: Sheetal, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 03

My 9 month old baby acquired this hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) and pediatrician advised to apply Lacto Calamine (LC) lotion over the itching area. It seems to be a virus. HFMD is probably a viral infection. It just lasted for 3 days and after application of LC lotion, and all dried up. Nothing to worry. I observed that it happened after a severe cold and cough attack. Probably it is to do with immunity.

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused your hand, foot, and mouth disease?