Patient Comments: Hand Foot and Mouth Syndrome - Treatments

What treatment did you receive for hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease?

Published: July 10

Boy am I glad I found this site. I too experienced the severe body ache, fever, and dizzy effects of hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease. That was day one. Day two came the mouth sores and bumps on the hands and feet. Day three, everything itches and hurts all at the same time. I even think I may loose a toe nail from this too. Thanks to all the people that posted great info about this disease.

Comment from: nalio, Published: July 10

I have hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease, but at first thought it was bed bugs! I thought it couldn't be HFM because I didn't have mouth sores, but I did have a sore throat. My doctor said not everyone with HFM gets mouth sores. We are now going to cancel our $360 bed bug extermination set for Monday.

Comment from: Michael, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 11

Nothing really to do for treatment of hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease. My son had the disease last week and now my hands and feet have the sores. My throat hurt a little over the weekend, but the doctor said I didn't have any sores in my mouth. I didn't have a fever, but I felt a little run down. I actually took my first nap in over 20 years, so I assumed that something wasn't right. All you can do is let it run its course. I am using an OTC anti-itch cream and that is about it. I did find that hot water makes the pain worse. Good luck to those who have it.

Comment from: Mommyof3, Published: January 20

My 8 month old was in so much pain orally that she couldn't eat, drink, or sleep. Her doctor called in Tylenol with codeine which helped tremendously. After her first dose she was finally able to sleep after 15 hours of no rest and was finally able to drink a bottle.

Comment from: , cocerned parent, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 21

My son, 5 years old, was diagnosed with hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease about a week ago. He showed all the symptoms, he had mild blisters around his mouth. But he only started having a fever and sore throat on the fifth day.

Comment from: Randi, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 09

My son has HFM and since it is a virus there is not much to do but I put oil of oregano on the spots that were really bad and they start to crust over and he no longer scratches them. This helped him go back to sleep cause he was so sore and itchy that trying to give him Tylenol was hard. Not sure if this will help but I have found that oil of oregano helps with a lot of rashes and other illnesses. It can be purchased at health food stores.

Hand Foot and Mouth Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused hand foot and mouth Disease?