Patient Comments: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments

What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Comment from: Emilee, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 10

My 11 month old son has hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease. It looks terrible. The first day my son had a fever of 102.4 and it would not go down. Finally it broke the next day but he started developing the blisters all over his body. He has it the worst on his face, arms and knees. He doesnt walk yet so he is in a lot of pain when he crawls. He doesnt want to eat anything but baby yogurt and sometimes you can get him to drink cold milk. I hope this goes away soon because we are on day 5 and it shows no signs of stopping. The doctor we saw told use to give him benedryl and malox for his throat pain and tylenol for the pain everywhere else.

Comment from: Sherp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

Our 9 year old son came down with this hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease last week. First our son ran a low grade fever. Then went outside to watch some small fireworks, which ended up causing a grand seziure. We had to call 911. When we finally got to the hospital his fever was 104.4. And it was very scary. After a long night and two hospitals we were on our way home. Many tests. The next day we found out our son had pneumonia. Not to mention the rash on his hands were hand foot and mouth disease. It's been 8 days and our son has about 100 dots on him. He says it hurts to walk and it is very itchy. I wish doctors would be more helpful. We did get the magic wash for his mouth which helps a little.

Comment from: hoodwink23, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 06

It's weird, my son developed it while we were away on vacation, and he had it halfway up his legs and arms, and in the diaper area. He seemed restless at night, and we actually worried it was bedbugs! We had the hotel switch his portacrib! It didn't really seem to hurt him at all though. He still walked everywhere and ran with no problem. A couple days into his spots, my husband developed a fever and sort throat, and was generally all over miserable just like everyone else described, except it was excruciating for him to walk! He developed the spots too, but only on his hands and feet. My husband went to the doctor, and it took her a few days to diagnose it, but when she did, my son's spots finally made sense. It's weird how they both got it at the same time, but only my husband experienced pain from it.

Comment from: sickmama, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I'm glad I'm not alone. My son had this but it was mild and only lasted a couple days. I broke into a high fever thought I had the flu was diagnosed with tonsillitis because my tonsils were infected, then two days later sores! I phoned the doctor and she said there isn't much to do for HFM just gargle with "magic" mouthwash, ice cream or popsicles and Tylenol for pain. I feel sorry for anyone reading about this and it says mild. This is a painful thing to have. I finally was able to take a day off and lay in bed all day and hopes it goes away soon. Any child who gets this, be patient. It is painful! Thank goodness for anything frozen, seems like ice is the only relief

Comment from: Jim, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

I experienced dizziness the first night of hand foot and mouth disease. On day two, I had cycles of hot flashes and chills with fever, headache, extremely sore throat, and aching joints. Day three, by far the worst, severe headache, severe sore throat, continuing fever and chills, aching joints, rash appeared around my throat, a few sores appeared on my hands and the bottom of my nose. I visited the doctor and was negative for strep throat. I was given antibiotics and pain medications. Day four, I was feeling better, minimal headache, sore throat and rash gone, had sores in the back of my mouth, sores on the bottom of my nose, sores on my hands, and sores on my feet.

Comment from: Sharoo, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 13

Hi, my 4yr old daughter was suffering from HFM disease. The treatment was Paracetamol and Linical or any Calamine lotion for local application on hands and foot.

Comment from: HFM, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I have an 11 month old baby and she was diagnosed with hand foot and mouth disease last week. The doctor did not give her anything for it, just told me to use Neosporin and Desitin rash cream because her most affected area is the diaper area. She had it in her throat and it was horrible to see her going through so much pain. We did not sleep for two nights in a row. She was fussy, restless, and constantly crying. Nothing was able to calm her down. Today is the third day and now I have it and my 3 year old.

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused your hand, foot, and mouth disease?