Patient Comments: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments

What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Comment from: Mummy, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 13

I hate this HFM disease. My 15-month-old daughter has it, and hasn't eaten in two days. She is lucky to have drunk 150 mls in the last two days. I can't keep away from her as she is in so much pain. I took her to doctors today only to find out they didn't know what it was. I googled her symptoms not long ago to find out she has this, so we're going back to the doctor tomorrow.

Comment from: SeattleMom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

My 13-month--old son caught hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD) at daycare. He started with a low- grade fever for two days, and by day 3 had severe diaper rash, a bunch of spots on his forearms, a few across his back and on his hands and feet. He was confirmed for HFDM by the pediatrician. Fortunately, there aren't any ulcers in his mouth, although his appetite was definitely low for the first four days. A couple of the spots on his hands and feet have turned into blisters, but for the most part they are flat red spots Today is day 6, and he seems back to himself, although the ulcers in his diaper area are still healing. Unfortunately, I have HFDM now. Mine started with a few spots on my hands and feet that felt like needle pricks when touched. On the second day I had a 102° fever, headache, and sore throat. It's now day 3 and I still have a headache and sore throat and a bunch more spots on my hands. They are seriously itchy today and painful when touched.

Comment from: Izzy, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 03

My 14 month old has just been diagnosed with this horrible, painful, and ugly illness. Took three days and three visits for them to figure out what she had. The first visit, they thought she had a throat infection and prescribed antibiotics, second visit they assumed it was an allergic reaction to the antibiotics. Third visit the doctor suggested it was HFM. After reading everyone input on the illness I'm quite positive that yes this is exactly it. Was unsure as hers is up the legs and all over her genital area as well. Looks extremely painful and she can't walk at the moment because it hurts her so darned much. Very saddened but grateful to have found this site to help put my mind at ease as I was starting to get pretty annoyed with our Doctor.

Comment from: Florence Nightingale, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 30

After three doctor visits I was told it was just a virus. Then after a hospital visit I finally got the answer; my 18 month old daughter was diagnosed with HFM. Her rashes on her hands, mouth and feet were more severe than any of the pictures on here. I tried everything from vinegar, amolin, dermaveen and the only thing I have found that has eased her pain apart from panadol is aloe vera gel. I cooled it in the fridge for a couple hours so when applied it soothes the fiery itching. Seemed to stop her twitching so she could actually get some sleep. I'm passing this info on for anyone out there that is trying anything to help.

Comment from: Ron421, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

My wife and I both contracted this from our nephew on Saturday. Thursday, after lunch, I started feeling bad. By the time I got home I had a fever and extreme chills. This lasted all day Friday, and part of the morning Saturday and then I felt fine. At the same time, my wife started getting these strange painful bumps Thursday night. We didn't connect our problems to each other until we later casually mentioned them to my sister in law, who told us we had the disease. I now have the sores all over my hands and feet, my throat is sore, and it's Monday. My wife only got a fever for a few hours, but it wasn't until after she had already started showing bumps. Her sores are a lot worse than mine. While mine itch, and are mildly painful, she can barely walk or touch things. It seems that different people are affected differently by this illness, but overall it is just really unpleasant. I hope it goes away soon. I had never even heard of it before today, and I never want to hear of it again.

Comment from: Mary W., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

Eighth day and counting. I started with sore blisters in my mouth and feeling of malaise. Two days later I had a very high fever. I went to my doctor who knew exactly what it was. He gave me Traimcinolone dental paste (steriodal pain killer)and my white blood cells were up so he put me on an antibiotic but for the virus there is not much to do. My mouth is full of very painful blisters, along with an outbreak on my chest. Eating is very hard but gatorade is my new best friend. Dehydration is something you battle since it hurts to drink and eat. I would love to know how long this thing lasts. It is the most painful virus I have ever had.

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused your hand, foot, and mouth disease?