Patient Comments: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments

What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Comment from: ChrisR, 25-34 Published: August 07

This is by far one of the most painful sicknesses I have ever had. It hit me like a ton of bricks at about 3 pm on Wednesday. I left work and didn't remember how I got home. After two solid days of 104 degree fever, my throat began to hurt. It is now day three, at 3:21am and I can't sleep because each time I fall asleep I am violently woke up by the excruciating pain that it takes to swallow. I have blisters on my hands, forearms, feet, in my nose, on my ears, on my tonsils, tongue and roof of my mouth. I stood up to use the bathroom about 20 minutes ago and everything was spinning and immediately felt sick to my stomach. Fever has made its way back to me now as I type this. Like I said, I have been really sick before, but this is definitely one of the worst!

Comment from: crystal, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 27

My three year old daughter and 14 month old son were just diagnosed with hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease today. I feel bad for them. Both have had fever, one had spots that went away, however my son's legs are covered as well as the majority of his arms and his mouth has a few spots. Neither has an appetite, but they keep liquids in them, and I just got them ice pops since my youngest cannot have ice cream. I have also used an oatmeal bath treatment on them at night, which seems to help throughout with their sleep. No medications were given - it seems funny with all the treatments out there nothing is out there that can help these little ones with this, or anyone with it for that matter.

Comment from: Inday, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

Our 2 year old daughter started to have low grade fever last weekend, then she was fine by Monday morning. She has been in day care for the past 2 weeks, started to get colds soon after starting day care. The rash came on her thighs, Monday night, I thought it was a usual allergy. But by Tuesday evening, even after applying hydrocortisone to the rash, it looked worse. I brought her to the doctor Wednesday morning was told she has hand foot and mouth disease (HFM). The doctor showed me the sores in her palate, which explains why her appetite was low, and cries most of the night for about 3 hours before falling asleep. Wednesday night, I had high fever, 102.8 and chills, sore throat. I didn't go to work until the fever subsided Friday. Thinking I just got usual sore throat, I went to work -- then the rash appeared on my hand Saturday evening. By late evening, the sole of my foot was sore with pins and needles sensation! I felt bad for my baby because imagine this pins and needles sensation on your feet and hands is present in your palate! She's better now -- I'm just starting with the HFM. The virus is very strong, incubation period is short.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

Hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease is excruciating. I didn't realize my toddler had it. We thought it was just bad diaper rash. I received no treatment, however, did self medicate with ibuprofen, sore throat spray, and orajel on the inner lip blister. I started with a few bumps on my hands that didn't hurt, a mild sore throat, and general malaise. The following day I had white painful bumps on the back of my mouth/tonsil area and it was impossible to eat. Third day, malaise was better but sore throat was excruciating - bumps on hands (and now feet) were beginning to hurt. I'm on day 5 and can still only eat ice cream, milk (coffee milk :)), ice cubes. I don't think I ever had this as a child.

Comment from: Emilee, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 10

My 11 month old son has hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease. It looks terrible. The first day my son had a fever of 102.4 and it would not go down. Finally it broke the next day but he started developing the blisters all over his body. He has it the worst on his face, arms and knees. He doesnt walk yet so he is in a lot of pain when he crawls. He doesnt want to eat anything but baby yogurt and sometimes you can get him to drink cold milk. I hope this goes away soon because we are on day 5 and it shows no signs of stopping. The doctor we saw told use to give him benedryl and malox for his throat pain and tylenol for the pain everywhere else.

Comment from: Sherp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

Our 9 year old son came down with this hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease last week. First our son ran a low grade fever. Then went outside to watch some small fireworks, which ended up causing a grand seziure. We had to call 911. When we finally got to the hospital his fever was 104.4. And it was very scary. After a long night and two hospitals we were on our way home. Many tests. The next day we found out our son had pneumonia. Not to mention the rash on his hands were hand foot and mouth disease. It's been 8 days and our son has about 100 dots on him. He says it hurts to walk and it is very itchy. I wish doctors would be more helpful. We did get the magic wash for his mouth which helps a little.

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused your hand, foot, and mouth disease?