Patient Comments: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments

What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Comment from: Ron421, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

My wife and I both contracted this from our nephew on Saturday. Thursday, after lunch, I started feeling bad. By the time I got home I had a fever and extreme chills. This lasted all day Friday, and part of the morning Saturday and then I felt fine. At the same time, my wife started getting these strange painful bumps Thursday night. We didn't connect our problems to each other until we later casually mentioned them to my sister in law, who told us we had the disease. I now have the sores all over my hands and feet, my throat is sore, and it's Monday. My wife only got a fever for a few hours, but it wasn't until after she had already started showing bumps. Her sores are a lot worse than mine. While mine itch, and are mildly painful, she can barely walk or touch things. It seems that different people are affected differently by this illness, but overall it is just really unpleasant. I hope it goes away soon. I had never even heard of it before today, and I never want to hear of it again.

Comment from: Mary W., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

Eighth day and counting. I started with sore blisters in my mouth and feeling of malaise. Two days later I had a very high fever. I went to my doctor who knew exactly what it was. He gave me Traimcinolone dental paste (steriodal pain killer)and my white blood cells were up so he put me on an antibiotic but for the virus there is not much to do. My mouth is full of very painful blisters, along with an outbreak on my chest. Eating is very hard but gatorade is my new best friend. Dehydration is something you battle since it hurts to drink and eat. I would love to know how long this thing lasts. It is the most painful virus I have ever had.

Comment from: ChrisR, 25-34 Published: August 07

This is by far one of the most painful sicknesses I have ever had. It hit me like a ton of bricks at about 3 pm on Wednesday. I left work and didn't remember how I got home. After two solid days of 104 degree fever, my throat began to hurt. It is now day three, at 3:21am and I can't sleep because each time I fall asleep I am violently woke up by the excruciating pain that it takes to swallow. I have blisters on my hands, forearms, feet, in my nose, on my ears, on my tonsils, tongue and roof of my mouth. I stood up to use the bathroom about 20 minutes ago and everything was spinning and immediately felt sick to my stomach. Fever has made its way back to me now as I type this. Like I said, I have been really sick before, but this is definitely one of the worst!

Comment from: crystal, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 27

My three year old daughter and 14 month old son were just diagnosed with hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease today. I feel bad for them. Both have had fever, one had spots that went away, however my son's legs are covered as well as the majority of his arms and his mouth has a few spots. Neither has an appetite, but they keep liquids in them, and I just got them ice pops since my youngest cannot have ice cream. I have also used an oatmeal bath treatment on them at night, which seems to help throughout with their sleep. No medications were given - it seems funny with all the treatments out there nothing is out there that can help these little ones with this, or anyone with it for that matter.

Comment from: Inday, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

Our 2 year old daughter started to have low grade fever last weekend, then she was fine by Monday morning. She has been in day care for the past 2 weeks, started to get colds soon after starting day care. The rash came on her thighs, Monday night, I thought it was a usual allergy. But by Tuesday evening, even after applying hydrocortisone to the rash, it looked worse. I brought her to the doctor Wednesday morning was told she has hand foot and mouth disease (HFM). The doctor showed me the sores in her palate, which explains why her appetite was low, and cries most of the night for about 3 hours before falling asleep. Wednesday night, I had high fever, 102.8 and chills, sore throat. I didn't go to work until the fever subsided Friday. Thinking I just got usual sore throat, I went to work -- then the rash appeared on my hand Saturday evening. By late evening, the sole of my foot was sore with pins and needles sensation! I felt bad for my baby because imagine this pins and needles sensation on your feet and hands is present in your palate! She's better now -- I'm just starting with the HFM. The virus is very strong, incubation period is short.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

Hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease is excruciating. I didn't realize my toddler had it. We thought it was just bad diaper rash. I received no treatment, however, did self medicate with ibuprofen, sore throat spray, and orajel on the inner lip blister. I started with a few bumps on my hands that didn't hurt, a mild sore throat, and general malaise. The following day I had white painful bumps on the back of my mouth/tonsil area and it was impossible to eat. Third day, malaise was better but sore throat was excruciating - bumps on hands (and now feet) were beginning to hurt. I'm on day 5 and can still only eat ice cream, milk (coffee milk :)), ice cubes. I don't think I ever had this as a child.

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused your hand, foot, and mouth disease?