Patient Comments: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments

What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Comment from: Jenn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I am a 31 year old Pediatric nurse who came down with a fever and malaise Tuesday Feb 14. Wednesday I woke up with the worse sore throat ever. The clinic Doctor said that it was strep throat ad put me on Penicillin. That night I developed a rash on my hands which significantly got worse by Thursday morning. I went to the clinic again where the Doctor said it was a reaction to the medication and changed it as well as gave me a cream for my hands. Thursday evening my hands were so sore and my feet started to hurt I went back knowing that it was HFM. The Doctor confirmed it and was surprised the Doctor that morning didn't know it. Please look out for the signs and symptoms as they are very painful. I have much more sympathy for my patients now.

Comment from: Rn2heal, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

The hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease is the worst that I have experienced. I had killer flulike symptoms for a day and half and then started breaking out on hands and feet. Being a nurse myself I google painful rash on hand and feet and found out I had this dreadful virus. It hurts to walk and write. I also have rash around my neck and one sore on lower edge of nose. I found out my boyfriend's grandson had this 2 weeks ago and he got it last week himself. I am surprised that the Urgent Care didn't know what this was on his body and they sent him to a dermatologist and she didn't know what it was. They really need to find a vaccine for this due to its miserable painful reaction it causes.

Comment from: kate, 13-18 (Patient) Published: August 20

Mine started out with a really horrible migraine, then a fever. After that I got ulcers at the back of my throat. A day later I noticed red spots on my palms and feet.

Comment from: arnold bumacod, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 18

my baby had FHM right now she only 13 months old only she a FHM to her mouth, butt and even to her private part im so scared for my baby im still confuse how can my baby got FHM, im worried for her health.

Comment from: Thishelpedme, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I am 18 years old and a few years ago I contracted the disease from my little brother during vacation. There were no sign of blisters on my hands or feet, but my throat hurt and blisters formed on the back of my tongue. I couldn't eat for a few days. Finally, on the last day of vacation, about four days later, I decided I was going to try and eat something. When I woke, I brushed my teeth and the back of my tongue. It hurt, but was definitely worth it. I don't know if it was the antibacterial properties of the toothpaste or if it was just going away on its own, but by lunch time I was able to swallow, and that afternoon it was practically gone. I wouldn't try this with infants, but for teenagers and adults suffering from this I know it can be painful and it's definitely worth a shot.

Comment from: n-b-hdz, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 28

My 9-month-old started with a few red spots, and then got a 101-102 F fever at night. I took him to the doctor in the morning and they told me he had HFM and that it was highly contagious, but that only young kids get symptoms and that adults rarely catch it. But when they do, they don't even realize it because they would not have any symptoms. She told me to alternate Tylenol and Motrin every five hours and to give him cold foods to numb his throat and that he didn't need any creams because the sores were not itchy or painful. I stayed home from work the first two days, not taking many precautions since it was a "kids' virus." Now, seven days later, my son is feeling better although he still has the sores. I am into my third day of HFM. I only had a day of fever and was feeling a lot better until the end of day 2. Now my hands and feet burn like I just dipped them in hot sauce and opening doors is a chore. I just want it to stop. How long before the itching and burning goes away? I just hope my son didn't/doesn't feel this pain. He doesn't seem to be, but if he did, he must be much stronger than me not to show it.

Comment from: squirel, 45-54 (Caregiver) Published: May 20

My 19-year-old daughter was in horrible pain. She went to the doctor, only to be told it was flea bites. After much research, we found pictures, and without a doubt, it looks like HFM. I guess it has to run its course. We did find that ice on her feet seemed to help.

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused your hand, foot, and mouth disease?