Patient Comments: Hand Foot and Mouth Syndrome - Treatments

What treatment did you receive for hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease?

Comment from: Jim, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

I experienced dizziness the first night of hand foot and mouth disease. On day two, I had cycles of hot flashes and chills with fever, headache, extremely sore throat, and aching joints. Day three, by far the worst, severe headache, severe sore throat, continuing fever and chills, aching joints, rash appeared around my throat, a few sores appeared on my hands and the bottom of my nose. I visited the doctor and was negative for strep throat. I was given antibiotics and pain medications. Day four, I was feeling better, minimal headache, sore throat and rash gone, had sores in the back of my mouth, sores on the bottom of my nose, sores on my hands, and sores on my feet.

Comment from: Sharoo, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 13

Hi, my 4yr old daughter was suffering from HFM disease. The treatment was Paracetamol and Linical or any Calamine lotion for local application on hands and foot.

Comment from: HFM, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I have an 11 month old baby and she was diagnosed with hand foot and mouth disease last week. The doctor did not give her anything for it, just told me to use Neosporin and Desitin rash cream because her most affected area is the diaper area. She had it in her throat and it was horrible to see her going through so much pain. We did not sleep for two nights in a row. She was fussy, restless, and constantly crying. Nothing was able to calm her down. Today is the third day and now I have it and my 3 year old.

Comment from: Daycare worker, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 23

My 2 year old son, has hand foot and mouth. I mean it looks like the most painful thing in the world, watching him not want to eat or drink is just sad, he is a big eater and a big drinker. It all started on his bum then spread to his genitals. I thought he got a horrible diaper rash, then they came out on his feet and hands after his nap. I though it's got be hand foot and mouth, he was fevering at this point but still happy and playful. Well he woke up in the middle of the night, and when I say he has blisters in his mouth I mean his mouth's almost white. That's how many there is. His lips are blistered and all over his chin. I can't believe the doctors say it's a virus and he just has to fight it. Makes me want them to get it just to realize the pain. There is so little and yet the only thing we can do is Advil, not right, there should be something for the pain. He said salt water, but it is too painful. Honestly it looks like the most painful thing in the world, it doesn't always start on your hands feet or mouth so if you see a rash other places just watch.

Comment from: dgn123, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

Hi I found out this past Tuesday that I have hand foot and mouth disease! The symptoms actually started on Sunday morning and I had a very high fever, pneumonia, loss of appetite, chills, the worst headache ever (besides migraines), then proceeded on to more symptoms within the next couple of days very painful joints, huge ulcers on back of throat, then after 6 days massive sweating and not because of the heat,and on evening of day 6 finally feeling well enough to eat and drink.

Comment from: Cassadeelynn, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

Being in the younger teen years, I didn't think I could just get something like this. I was not exposed to any children with this disease or anything and just simply got it one day. And I have major chills, a decent fever, headache, and tons of red bumps in my mouth and throat. But what I'm wondering, is why it is only affecting my mouth? There are no bumps whatsoever on my hands or feet. My throat is so sore that I haven't been able to eat or drink anything in the past week. It's miserable. I just wish that it would go away NOW!

Comment from: yoga, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

I had chills and a sore throat for about 6 hours at work on a Monday. Came home and had chills all night and could not sleep (fever of 100). Stayed home from work on Tuesday and slept all day, still chills and sore throat. I could not sleep Tuesday night so went to the doctor on Wednesday morning with swollen feet, hands, and a sore throat. I was diagnosed with hand foot and mouth (HFM) and sent home with over the counter medicines. Symptoms were very painful and I could not sleep again. My feet doubled in size, blisters formed, and I was very inflamed as well. I went back to the doctor on Thursday (temp of 96) and was told I had a severe case with it also appearing in my mouth and on my face. I was sent home with hydroxyzine for itching and hydrocodone/acetaminophen for pain and sleep. I usually don't take medicine but it helped with the pain and itching on Thursday and Friday. It is now Saturday and the first day I could walk on my feet without looking like a baby just learning to walk! Still a little pins and needles feeling but not nearly like the past days. I still have blisters on hands and feet and swelling but they feel better. What seemed to help me was soaking my feet in ice water to pull the heat out of my body. Also I used aloe from an aloe plant on hands and feet and things felt much better the next day. I wore cotton socks around the first few days but let my feet air out once I had aloe on them. Probably better to let feet breathe but I was grossed out looking at them! I understand this is much more painful in adults than children and from a 48 year old, this is the worst thing I have had thus far. Hope this is helpful.

Hand Foot and Mouth Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease?