Patient Comments: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments

What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Comment from: Thishelpedme, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I am 18 years old and a few years ago I contracted the disease from my little brother during vacation. There were no sign of blisters on my hands or feet, but my throat hurt and blisters formed on the back of my tongue. I couldn't eat for a few days. Finally, on the last day of vacation, about four days later, I decided I was going to try and eat something. When I woke, I brushed my teeth and the back of my tongue. It hurt, but was definitely worth it. I don't know if it was the antibacterial properties of the toothpaste or if it was just going away on its own, but by lunch time I was able to swallow, and that afternoon it was practically gone. I wouldn't try this with infants, but for teenagers and adults suffering from this I know it can be painful and it's definitely worth a shot.

Comment from: n-b-hdz, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 28

My 9-month-old started with a few red spots, and then got a 101-102 F fever at night. I took him to the doctor in the morning and they told me he had HFM and that it was highly contagious, but that only young kids get symptoms and that adults rarely catch it. But when they do, they don't even realize it because they would not have any symptoms. She told me to alternate Tylenol and Motrin every five hours and to give him cold foods to numb his throat and that he didn't need any creams because the sores were not itchy or painful. I stayed home from work the first two days, not taking many precautions since it was a "kids' virus." Now, seven days later, my son is feeling better although he still has the sores. I am into my third day of HFM. I only had a day of fever and was feeling a lot better until the end of day 2. Now my hands and feet burn like I just dipped them in hot sauce and opening doors is a chore. I just want it to stop. How long before the itching and burning goes away? I just hope my son didn't/doesn't feel this pain. He doesn't seem to be, but if he did, he must be much stronger than me not to show it.

Comment from: squirel, 45-54 (Caregiver) Published: May 20

My 19-year-old daughter was in horrible pain. She went to the doctor, only to be told it was flea bites. After much research, we found pictures, and without a doubt, it looks like HFM. I guess it has to run its course. We did find that ice on her feet seemed to help.

Comment from: Mummy, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 13

I hate this HFM disease. My 15-month-old daughter has it, and hasn't eaten in two days. She is lucky to have drunk 150 mls in the last two days. I can't keep away from her as she is in so much pain. I took her to doctors today only to find out they didn't know what it was. I googled her symptoms not long ago to find out she has this, so we're going back to the doctor tomorrow.

Comment from: SeattleMom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

My 13-month--old son caught hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD) at daycare. He started with a low- grade fever for two days, and by day 3 had severe diaper rash, a bunch of spots on his forearms, a few across his back and on his hands and feet. He was confirmed for HFDM by the pediatrician. Fortunately, there aren't any ulcers in his mouth, although his appetite was definitely low for the first four days. A couple of the spots on his hands and feet have turned into blisters, but for the most part they are flat red spots Today is day 6, and he seems back to himself, although the ulcers in his diaper area are still healing. Unfortunately, I have HFDM now. Mine started with a few spots on my hands and feet that felt like needle pricks when touched. On the second day I had a 102° fever, headache, and sore throat. It's now day 3 and I still have a headache and sore throat and a bunch more spots on my hands. They are seriously itchy today and painful when touched.

Comment from: Izzy, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 03

My 14 month old has just been diagnosed with this horrible, painful, and ugly illness. Took three days and three visits for them to figure out what she had. The first visit, they thought she had a throat infection and prescribed antibiotics, second visit they assumed it was an allergic reaction to the antibiotics. Third visit the doctor suggested it was HFM. After reading everyone input on the illness I'm quite positive that yes this is exactly it. Was unsure as hers is up the legs and all over her genital area as well. Looks extremely painful and she can't walk at the moment because it hurts her so darned much. Very saddened but grateful to have found this site to help put my mind at ease as I was starting to get pretty annoyed with our Doctor.

Comment from: Florence Nightingale, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 30

After three doctor visits I was told it was just a virus. Then after a hospital visit I finally got the answer; my 18 month old daughter was diagnosed with HFM. Her rashes on her hands, mouth and feet were more severe than any of the pictures on here. I tried everything from vinegar, amolin, dermaveen and the only thing I have found that has eased her pain apart from panadol is aloe vera gel. I cooled it in the fridge for a couple hours so when applied it soothes the fiery itching. Seemed to stop her twitching so she could actually get some sleep. I'm passing this info on for anyone out there that is trying anything to help.

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused your hand, foot, and mouth disease?