Patient Comments: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments

What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Comment from: dow2ba, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

This hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) is such a painful virus. It began with a sore throat and one small, extremely itchy blister on my hand. Later that same day, another blister, then both hands and feet exploded with big and small, raw and red, painful and itchy blisters. I made a trip to the emergency room to verify it wasn't going to kill me. The doctor confirmed HFMD. I discovered hot is painful, cold is soothing. Cold packs and ice water helps with the pain. OTC pain medicines and Benadryl help a little. I drink hot or warm soup to help with my throat and now I have the blisters on my tongue. It is day 3 and still getting more blisters. It hurts to wash hands, but I do so continuously and the bleach I use to kill the virus on surfaces dries out my hands and makes the itching worse. My granddaughter had it and no one wanted to tell me and she is always sneaking my drinks so I am pretty sure I got it this way.

Comment from: Amber, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

I currently have hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease. It started 4 days ago with a high fever, severe headache, body aches, dizziness, and no energy or appetite at all. Day 2 my throat started hurting, and I still had a fever and no appetite. Day 3 I woke up with the worst pain in my mouth/throat ever. It was different than any sore throat. I had a rash on my stomach and hands. I went into urgent care and was told I have HFMD. A couple of hours later, the rash was over my entire body. I was given hydrocodone for pain and to help me sleep. Throughout the day my hands got worse and the sores started on my feet. I am still unable to eat anything but ice cream, and milk or smoothies are the best attempt at getting some hydration in. I'm on day 4 now and my hands and feet are probably the worst. I hobble around when walking and I have a hard time opening things. Definitely the most painful illness I've had.

Comment from: drmartha, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

Like almost everyone else, I'm frantic to find something to take care of the itch from hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease. Oral Benadryl has been no good; nor has Zyrtec. An oatmeal soak in cool water feels great, but the effect may be due entirely to the temperature of the water. I tried Calmoseptine ointment, which was initially cool, but then contributed to the fiery burn after a few minutes. I can't eat, can't sleep...

Comment from: ammax, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

Boy, is this and hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease awful! And most of the professional info out there talks about how it doesn't itch and doesn't get to adults that much or how it's mostly on hands, mouths, and feet. Well, I feel like my family can dispel all that. My daughter has the worst case pediatrician has ever seen (all over arms, legs, feet, hands, and face). My son and I have it also, which itches like crazy (him on his feet and me on my hands). We had no relief from anything, Benadryl, Advil, Aveeno, oatmeal bath, etc. The itching is what drives my son and I nuts especially with no relief! Ice seems to dull the itch for a while, that's the closest bit of relief we have found. As a mom it is terrible thinking I could be continuing to spread it more and more around the house all day with the 100 million things I touch! Plus add in all the itching and pain on my hands, how am I supposed to tolerate the cleaners in effort to sanitize my house! And it seems suffering for 3 to 10 days is expected. My goodness, that's ridiculous.

Comment from: Hml experience, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 28

My 2 1/2 year old daughter was saying that she had a sore in her hand but I could not see anything. Throughout the night she started scratching her hands continuously but because I didn"t see anything on her hands I brushed it off. The next night she then woke up again in the middle of the night itching profusely. I turned the light in looked at her hands and that"s when I saw the small flat bumps. I looked up the symptoms and found out it was (hand foot and mouth) HFM disease. This was also going around her school so I was certain that was what she had. I took her to the doctor, of course there was nothing they can do. They prescribed Benadryl for the pain. On the 4th day her feet started itching, so both hands and now both feet. It"s been 7 days and every night it"s been the same getting up and trying to help keep her calm to fall back asleep. I went back to the doctor thinking they can do more but they just prescribed some rash cream. We tried that and it does not work either. I"m irritated that I can"t help my child in need and that this virus has lasted so long, I wish it would go away.

Comment from: mamainseattle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

My 2 year old son's symptoms started with being extremely irritable and just crying out loud, was very clingy. Next day I noticed a rash on his face and thought was from binky drool. Next day, there were 5 rashes on his chin under his mouth, a few along his lower lip on this inside, and on the edge of his tongue, a few on his hands and feet. He already was diagnosed with hand foot mouth last year, and I went to see the doctor who confirmed it and as it was viral, there was no treatment, but then I got it. It started with malaise and sore throat and progressed to mild 100.3 fever, chills, severe sore throat, couldn't eat because it hurt to swallow. I gurgled salt water to kill bacteria, sucked on cough drops, ate smooth, cold foods like cottage cheese/ice cream/honey tea, took Tylenol before bedtime to sleep, rested and napped; all this helped and gave temporary relief. My condition got worse for the next couple of days with severe sore throat and rashes on hands. I found alternative smooth, filling foods like risotto, scrambled eggs, pureed soups, fruit smoothies which worked well. I am happy to be eating.

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused your hand, foot, and mouth disease?