Patient Comments: Hand Foot and Mouth Syndrome - Treatments

What treatment did you receive for hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease?

Comment from: Izzy, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 03

My 14 month old has just been diagnosed with this horrible, painful, and ugly illness. Took three days and three visits for them to figure out what she had. The first visit, they thought she had a throat infection and prescribed antibiotics, second visit they assumed it was an allergic reaction to the antibiotics. Third visit the doctor suggested it was HFM. After reading everyone input on the illness I'm quite positive that yes this is exactly it. Was unsure as hers is up the legs and all over her genital area as well. Looks extremely painful and she can't walk at the moment because it hurts her so darned much. Very saddened but grateful to have found this site to help put my mind at ease as I was starting to get pretty annoyed with our Doctor.

Comment from: Florence Nightingale, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 30

After three doctor visits I was told it was just a virus. Then after a hospital visit I finally got the answer; my 18 month old daughter was diagnosed with HFM. Her rashes on her hands, mouth and feet were more severe than any of the pictures on here. I tried everything from vinegar, amolin, dermaveen and the only thing I have found that has eased her pain apart from panadol is aloe vera gel. I cooled it in the fridge for a couple hours so when applied it soothes the fiery itching. Seemed to stop her twitching so she could actually get some sleep. I'm passing this info on for anyone out there that is trying anything to help.

Comment from: Ron421, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

My wife and I both contracted this from our nephew on Saturday. Thursday, after lunch, I started feeling bad. By the time I got home I had a fever and extreme chills. This lasted all day Friday, and part of the morning Saturday and then I felt fine. At the same time, my wife started getting these strange painful bumps Thursday night. We didn't connect our problems to each other until we later casually mentioned them to my sister in law, who told us we had the disease. I now have the sores all over my hands and feet, my throat is sore, and it's Monday. My wife only got a fever for a few hours, but it wasn't until after she had already started showing bumps. Her sores are a lot worse than mine. While mine itch, and are mildly painful, she can barely walk or touch things. It seems that different people are affected differently by this illness, but overall it is just really unpleasant. I hope it goes away soon. I had never even heard of it before today, and I never want to hear of it again.

Comment from: Mary W., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

Eighth day and counting. I started with sore blisters in my mouth and feeling of malaise. Two days later I had a very high fever. I went to my doctor who knew exactly what it was. He gave me Traimcinolone dental paste (steriodal pain killer)and my white blood cells were up so he put me on an antibiotic but for the virus there is not much to do. My mouth is full of very painful blisters, along with an outbreak on my chest. Eating is very hard but gatorade is my new best friend. Dehydration is something you battle since it hurts to drink and eat. I would love to know how long this thing lasts. It is the most painful virus I have ever had.

Comment from: ChrisR, 25-34 Published: August 07

This is by far one of the most painful sicknesses I have ever had. It hit me like a ton of bricks at about 3 pm on Wednesday. I left work and didn't remember how I got home. After two solid days of 104 degree fever, my throat began to hurt. It is now day three, at 3:21am and I can't sleep because each time I fall asleep I am violently woke up by the excruciating pain that it takes to swallow. I have blisters on my hands, forearms, feet, in my nose, on my ears, on my tonsils, tongue and roof of my mouth. I stood up to use the bathroom about 20 minutes ago and everything was spinning and immediately felt sick to my stomach. Fever has made its way back to me now as I type this. Like I said, I have been really sick before, but this is definitely one of the worst!

Comment from: crystal, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 27

My three year old daughter and 14 month old son were just diagnosed with hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease today. I feel bad for them. Both have had fever, one had spots that went away, however my son's legs are covered as well as the majority of his arms and his mouth has a few spots. Neither has an appetite, but they keep liquids in them, and I just got them ice pops since my youngest cannot have ice cream. I have also used an oatmeal bath treatment on them at night, which seems to help throughout with their sleep. No medications were given - it seems funny with all the treatments out there nothing is out there that can help these little ones with this, or anyone with it for that matter.

Hand Foot and Mouth Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused hand foot and mouth Disease?