Patient Comments: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments

What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Comment from: Courtney G., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I'm not sure if my experience it rare, but I have HFM and instead of pain. I am sooo itchy on my hands and feet. The first day was like what most described high fever, chills, headache and flu-like. Then the red bumps, hard to see at first, but its day three now and they are super red. Last night, I couldn't sleep because of the itch and swelling. The ER prescribed a low-dose oral steroid and a stronger version of Benadryl since nothing over the counter worked. I tried all of it. Who wants to go to the ER for itching. It works, but doesn't numb it. The worst is trying to stay as far away from my 14 month old son, who surprisingly didn't give it to me! My PA student sister said if I have to be near him to wear gloves and socks and don't kiss on him. I am doing my best. Fingers crossed it doesn't spread to him.

Comment from: lrussell, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

My grandson was diagnosed with hand foot and mouth disease two weeks ago. I felt bad last weekend, then Monday I went home from work with a high fever of 103.5. I stayed in bed until Tuesday evening, got ready for work Wednesday feeling much better with the fever gone, but my throat was killing me and my hands had a few spots on them. My husband though it was from my fever. I went to work, about 1 hour later my hands starting getting more red spots/bumps. I went to the clinic and it was diagnosed as HFM. I was given a prescription for lidocaine to use for my mouth sores (which is an awful painful feeling). I have to gargle and swish around my mouth so I can at least attempt to eat a meal. But I agree with the others that posted on here. They need to prepare you of how painful this is. I feel sorry for the babies and toddlers that get this. I feel sorry for anyone that gets this. My hands are so swollen and red and sore I can't even hold a glass to drink. The bottom of my feet only have a few bumps, but they hurt to stand on them. For some reason I have it around my elbows and it hurts to rest my arms on anything. Keep your hands washed and don't let anyone use your towel. If your babies have it don't kiss them as it spreads from their saliva and running noses. Eat soft foods and smoothie type drinks to keep food in your stomach. Today is Friday and my breakout started Wednesday. I sure hope it goes away quick. I usually don't write in any of these forms but I had to put in my input on this disease because of how painful it is. Rest, take ibuprofen, and get something to rinse in your mouth, warm salt water helps a little bit, but get something that numbs it.

Comment from: jessmess223, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 07

It is sad that this information doesn't tell you how painful this virus is. I work at a daycare and a 1 yr old baby had the virus but his doctor said it was a reaction to antibiotics, that hfm doesn't occur during January. Well this baby was taken into the nursery with infants and of course the virus spread. My daughter is only 4 months old and it got to her last week. I stayed home with her and by the 3rd day I started feeling awful and was running a 103.3 degree temp and felt like I had the flu. Every time I sat up or walked my head felt like it was going to explode (like a migraine) and I couldn't eat. After two days of sleep and my fever finally broke I developed a very sore throat and red bumps on my hands and feet and yes they hurt so bad. I feel so sorry for any baby that has to go through this. I think doctors should be more educated on this virus before sending people back to work and children back to school/daycare to let this awful thing spread.

Comment from: Jenn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I am a 31 year old Pediatric nurse who came down with a fever and malaise Tuesday Feb 14. Wednesday I woke up with the worse sore throat ever. The clinic Doctor said that it was strep throat ad put me on Penicillin. That night I developed a rash on my hands which significantly got worse by Thursday morning. I went to the clinic again where the Doctor said it was a reaction to the medication and changed it as well as gave me a cream for my hands. Thursday evening my hands were so sore and my feet started to hurt I went back knowing that it was HFM. The Doctor confirmed it and was surprised the Doctor that morning didn't know it. Please look out for the signs and symptoms as they are very painful. I have much more sympathy for my patients now.

Comment from: kate, 13-18 (Patient) Published: August 20

Mine started out with a really horrible migraine, then a fever. After that I got ulcers at the back of my throat. A day later I noticed red spots on my palms and feet.

Comment from: arnold bumacod, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 18

my baby had FHM right now she only 13 months old only she a FHM to her mouth, butt and even to her private part im so scared for my baby im still confuse how can my baby got FHM, im worried for her health.

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused your hand, foot, and mouth disease?