Patient Comments: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments

What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Comment from: Monica0228, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I got hand foot and mouth (HFM) virus from my son and it is horrible. The itching reminded me of what I went thru with chicken pox... It's continuously itching to the point where I wanted rip my hands off. After trying cortisone, steroid creams, Caladryl, and Benadryl gel all day, nothing worked. Finally I drank 4 teaspoons of Benadryl and put ice packs on my hand and I'm not sure which of those two helped but my itch is relieved. I hope this helps some of you because I've been reading blogs all day and found that nothing worked.

Comment from: Aef, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 24

Ice water will save you from the insane itching. I read one of these posts where I got the idea. I got hand, foot, and mouth disease from my son. Doctor said rash is non-itchy but that is in kids (usually), for adults it is crazy itchy. Soaking hands in ice water (I added oatmeal too) has saved me from the unbearable itch. It gives only 30 to 60 minutes relief, so I keep a pot in fridge and can be close to functional. I never post on these things but wanted to here in case it helps others in the same situation. Also the colder it is, harder to stand but helps longer.

Comment from: Dchjones, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 05

My 2 1/2 year old daughter came down with HFM disease and ran a fever for 2 days, had loss of appetite, runny nose then the spots/rash appeared after the fever broke. She had it the worst around her mouth (none inside), then on her hands, heels of her feet, and diaper area. I got it as she was clearing up and didn't think I had the same thing. My symptoms were so severe. It started with intensely itchy hands that woke me up in the morning. By the end of that first day I started to develop the rash and a little tingling on my hands. I woke up that night at 1AM and was up for the rest of the night/day with the most intense burning/itching I've ever felt. I've had shingles and this was worse! It lasted the whole next day and night (yes, 2 nights of no sleep). Today is day 3 and the pain is gone but the bumps/rash are still on my hands, some developed on my feet, and also around my nose. I will say that once the bumps/rash "came out" the pain left. I alternated between a steroid skin cream, Benadryl, and Calamine. I took Advil and Benadryl. Nothing helped like ice did. Hold ice packs all day, soak your feet; wrap your hands at night if you have to (that's what I did). It's soothing and numbing and will draw the heat out. It's aggressive, extremely contagious, and the most miserable thing I've experienced to date.

Comment from: Uncertain mom, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 08

I just took my 12 year old to the nurse practitioner (NP) today only to find out she has HFM and was told there was nothing they could do for her. She came home from school yesterday with bumps on her feet and on her hands this morning. She has had the sore throat, fever and headache already. The NP said to go ahead and send her back to school because the contagious time has probably already passed. As she sits at my bedside tonight crying because of her foot pain and itching, I have no clue what to do for her. We weren't informed of the pain and itching this also causes and I don't know what to do for my girl.

Comment from: Toddlermom, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 08

My 15-month girl started Tuesday with some fever and lots of drooling. I thought it was because she was teething or maybe ear infection. By Wednesday she developed sores on her tongue and ended up in the emergency room late at night in pain. She was diagnosed with stomatitis and prescribed Tylenol and Motrin alternating to lower the fever, and Benadryl syrup to help her sleep. Next Thursday her pediatrician said it was hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease and told us to mix of 1 ounce lidocaine, 1 ounce Benadryl, and 1 ounce Maalox and give her 1 tablespoon every 4 hours. It's Friday now and she's got some blisters on her feet and a lot of red dots on her diaper area. She is drinking liquids through a syringe. I have been washing my hands and everything she touches gets disinfected. I am washing sheets and clothes daily.

Comment from: dow2ba, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

This hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) is such a painful virus. It began with a sore throat and one small, extremely itchy blister on my hand. Later that same day, another blister, then both hands and feet exploded with big and small, raw and red, painful and itchy blisters. I made a trip to the emergency room to verify it wasn't going to kill me. The doctor confirmed HFMD. I discovered hot is painful, cold is soothing. Cold packs and ice water helps with the pain. OTC pain medicines and Benadryl help a little. I drink hot or warm soup to help with my throat and now I have the blisters on my tongue. It is day 3 and still getting more blisters. It hurts to wash hands, but I do so continuously and the bleach I use to kill the virus on surfaces dries out my hands and makes the itching worse. My granddaughter had it and no one wanted to tell me and she is always sneaking my drinks so I am pretty sure I got it this way.

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused your hand, foot, and mouth disease?