Patient Comments: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments

What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Comment from: ammax, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

Boy, is this and hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease awful! And most of the professional info out there talks about how it doesn't itch and doesn't get to adults that much or how it's mostly on hands, mouths, and feet. Well, I feel like my family can dispel all that. My daughter has the worst case pediatrician has ever seen (all over arms, legs, feet, hands, and face). My son and I have it also, which itches like crazy (him on his feet and me on my hands). We had no relief from anything, Benadryl, Advil, Aveeno, oatmeal bath, etc. The itching is what drives my son and I nuts especially with no relief! Ice seems to dull the itch for a while, that's the closest bit of relief we have found. As a mom it is terrible thinking I could be continuing to spread it more and more around the house all day with the 100 million things I touch! Plus add in all the itching and pain on my hands, how am I supposed to tolerate the cleaners in effort to sanitize my house! And it seems suffering for 3 to 10 days is expected. My goodness, that's ridiculous.

Comment from: Hml experience, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 28

My 2 1/2 year old daughter was saying that she had a sore in her hand but I could not see anything. Throughout the night she started scratching her hands continuously but because I didn"t see anything on her hands I brushed it off. The next night she then woke up again in the middle of the night itching profusely. I turned the light in looked at her hands and that"s when I saw the small flat bumps. I looked up the symptoms and found out it was (hand foot and mouth) HFM disease. This was also going around her school so I was certain that was what she had. I took her to the doctor, of course there was nothing they can do. They prescribed Benadryl for the pain. On the 4th day her feet started itching, so both hands and now both feet. It"s been 7 days and every night it"s been the same getting up and trying to help keep her calm to fall back asleep. I went back to the doctor thinking they can do more but they just prescribed some rash cream. We tried that and it does not work either. I"m irritated that I can"t help my child in need and that this virus has lasted so long, I wish it would go away.

Comment from: mamainseattle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

My 2 year old son's symptoms started with being extremely irritable and just crying out loud, was very clingy. Next day I noticed a rash on his face and thought was from binky drool. Next day, there were 5 rashes on his chin under his mouth, a few along his lower lip on this inside, and on the edge of his tongue, a few on his hands and feet. He already was diagnosed with hand foot mouth last year, and I went to see the doctor who confirmed it and as it was viral, there was no treatment, but then I got it. It started with malaise and sore throat and progressed to mild 100.3 fever, chills, severe sore throat, couldn't eat because it hurt to swallow. I gurgled salt water to kill bacteria, sucked on cough drops, ate smooth, cold foods like cottage cheese/ice cream/honey tea, took Tylenol before bedtime to sleep, rested and napped; all this helped and gave temporary relief. My condition got worse for the next couple of days with severe sore throat and rashes on hands. I found alternative smooth, filling foods like risotto, scrambled eggs, pureed soups, fruit smoothies which worked well. I am happy to be eating.

Comment from: SoloMum, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 18

My 16 month old has been diagnosed with hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease. I thought it was chicken pox at first and wondered why the spots didn't appear on his chest and back when I put him in the bath. I think his case is mild (due to spot count). Symptoms showed as low grade fever (100 C), very sore looking diaper rash, sore throat and spots on his fingers that blistered after a couple days. He is on day 8 and all but 4 blisters have dried up. Redness is gone. No fever and energy level is normal. I'm curious to know if his HFM is still contagious. I'm a nursing student doing clinical. I don't want to infect any of the elderly residents, but I can't afford the cost of making up the time.

Comment from: Leah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

This virus is no joke! I was exposed to a toddler with HFM on Saturday. Tuesday evening, I started feeling an intense fever and chills, sore throat, and headache. Wednesday I was in bed all day and not able to eat. Thursday I felt almost back to normal, but I had a few small red blisters on my hand. Went to doctor and they dismissed it as "just a virus," so was given no treatment. By that evening, more blisters had developed on my hands and a few on my feet. I knew it had to be HFM. I woke up Friday morning with a rash on most of my body, with a few new blisters on my arms and legs and around my nose. It was painful to walk or to hold anything. Went back to doctor and they agreed (this time) that it was HFM. Still no treatment, just told to use an OTC cream for the rash and Ibuprofen for the pain. Now it's Saturday and the rash doesn't appear to be any better and my hands are definitely worse. The ulcers on my throat are very painful so I can only eat ice cream, milkshakes, etc. I just hope this goes away SOON!

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused your hand, foot, and mouth disease?