Patient Comments: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments

What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Comment from: james, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

This is day 2 of the hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). My 4 year old daughter got it and I just started symptoms yesterday. First it started with a sore throat. Then in the middle of the night I had itching all over. I have little red bumps on my nose, a couple on my hands, ears, legs, and butt, not many bumps just a few, but they itch like crazy, even places I don't have bumps still itch. My doctor said try Claritin for the itching and swishing liquid antacid in my mouth, and Motrin for sore throat pain. What is weird is when I eat something my whole tongue kind of stings and hurts to eat the simplest of foods. Very odd disease. I would rather have the flu. Again this is day 2. People are telling me I am just getting started.

Comment from: Matt, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

My hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) symptoms started with what looked like athlete's Foot but at the same time there were spots on my chest. Two days earlier I had a nauseous feeling and had a mild fever however it went away the next day. Due to my itchy right foot I went to see a podiatrist and he first prescribed an anti-fungal cream for my feet, but after one day my feet and hands were extremely sore. I described some swelling in my feet to him and he thought it was an allergic reaction to the first cream. I got a second anti-fungal cream prescribed and my pharmacist was concerned as I described to her all my symptoms. She suggested what I had wasn't a local infection but perhaps systemic and because it was spreading quickly I should go see a doctor as soon as possible. As it turns out it was HFMD and my son had very mild symptoms of it recently but because it doesn't usually appear in adults I didn't make the connection. It is day 3 of the virus and although my hands are better, I can barely walk. I really hope it goes away soon!

Comment from: LoriAgar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

On Friday I woke up feeling lethargic, by the evening I was running a fever of 100.3. The next day fever was on and off, then spots started showing up, on hands, chest, feet, and blisters in my mouth and on my lips. Sunday, today, my hands are itching intensely, no appetite, it hurts to eat. I have been eating really soft food and drinking water. I went to clinic, the doctor looked like he wanted to run from me! Sure enough it was hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). He asked if I had been around any babies. No, I had not. I starting thinking and I have a friend that came by Tuesday that has a girlfriend with a baby in daycare. The only things that seems to help are hydrogen peroxide mouth wash, baking soda paste for brushing teeth, Cortizone and Benadryl for itching, Blistex for my lips, Advil for fever and headaches, dry eye drops, and when the itching is really bad holding something frozen. I got prescriptions for an antibiotic for secondary infections (he said in adults we can get sinus infections), steroids for the inflammation and itching and Cepacol to numb my mouth. This is only day 3 of having it or day 5 since exposure. I hope it is better soon, this is worse than the flu!

Comment from: Charlene, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I happened to have handled chilled plain yogurt with my hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease riddled left hand. The cold, thick yogurt coated my hand nicely and almost instantly soothed the stingy/itchy spots. I thought the effect was just due to the coolness of the yogurt, but the soothing effect lasted until I fell asleep (I rinsed the yogurt off after just a few minutes). The following morning, my left hand felt and looked way better than my right (which did not get slathered in yogurt). Getting more yogurt for my feet and right hand!

Comment from: Monica0228, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I got hand foot and mouth (HFM) virus from my son and it is horrible. The itching reminded me of what I went thru with chicken pox... It's continuously itching to the point where I wanted rip my hands off. After trying cortisone, steroid creams, Caladryl, and Benadryl gel all day, nothing worked. Finally I drank 4 teaspoons of Benadryl and put ice packs on my hand and I'm not sure which of those two helped but my itch is relieved. I hope this helps some of you because I've been reading blogs all day and found that nothing worked.

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused your hand, foot, and mouth disease?