Patient Comments: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments

What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Comment from: Kh2183, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I am 33 and contracted hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) from my niece. Crazy there is no information on adults and the few references say adult cases are milder. There is no way this is milder given my family's description of my niece's reaction. It started with severe muscle aches, headache, chills, sore throat, swollen glands, and fatigue. Fever of 100.5 the next night. I called in to work and reported the flu (I work at a hospital). The next morning I woke up with burning/itchy rash on my feet. Next it spread to my hands. I'm lucky so far no sores in my mouth. There is visible rash all over my body, but it's my hands and feet that constantly burn and itch to the point where I cry. I can barely walk or open things. Slathering Greek yogurt on hands and feet seems to help a little bit for a few hours. Most helpful thing I've found is filling a gallon freezer Ziploc about 1/3 with water, letting it get cold but not frozen and then putting it on my hands and feet. Since it's chilled but not frozen, it conforms to my feet and hands and can get between to alleviate the burning/itching/swelling between fingers and toes. If you had a toddler with itching you could put toys in it and they'd probably enjoy playing with it while it soothed the itch. My niece apparently never experienced itching and is now over it. Who'd have thought such a foul virus could be transmitted by such an adorable toddler!

Comment from: james, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

This is day 2 of the hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). My 4 year old daughter got it and I just started symptoms yesterday. First it started with a sore throat. Then in the middle of the night I had itching all over. I have little red bumps on my nose, a couple on my hands, ears, legs, and butt, not many bumps just a few, but they itch like crazy, even places I don't have bumps still itch. My doctor said try Claritin for the itching and swishing liquid antacid in my mouth, and Motrin for sore throat pain. What is weird is when I eat something my whole tongue kind of stings and hurts to eat the simplest of foods. Very odd disease. I would rather have the flu. Again this is day 2. People are telling me I am just getting started.

Comment from: Matt, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

My hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) symptoms started with what looked like athlete's Foot but at the same time there were spots on my chest. Two days earlier I had a nauseous feeling and had a mild fever however it went away the next day. Due to my itchy right foot I went to see a podiatrist and he first prescribed an anti-fungal cream for my feet, but after one day my feet and hands were extremely sore. I described some swelling in my feet to him and he thought it was an allergic reaction to the first cream. I got a second anti-fungal cream prescribed and my pharmacist was concerned as I described to her all my symptoms. She suggested what I had wasn't a local infection but perhaps systemic and because it was spreading quickly I should go see a doctor as soon as possible. As it turns out it was HFMD and my son had very mild symptoms of it recently but because it doesn't usually appear in adults I didn't make the connection. It is day 3 of the virus and although my hands are better, I can barely walk. I really hope it goes away soon!

Comment from: LoriAgar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

On Friday I woke up feeling lethargic, by the evening I was running a fever of 100.3. The next day fever was on and off, then spots started showing up, on hands, chest, feet, and blisters in my mouth and on my lips. Sunday, today, my hands are itching intensely, no appetite, it hurts to eat. I have been eating really soft food and drinking water. I went to clinic, the doctor looked like he wanted to run from me! Sure enough it was hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). He asked if I had been around any babies. No, I had not. I starting thinking and I have a friend that came by Tuesday that has a girlfriend with a baby in daycare. The only things that seems to help are hydrogen peroxide mouth wash, baking soda paste for brushing teeth, Cortizone and Benadryl for itching, Blistex for my lips, Advil for fever and headaches, dry eye drops, and when the itching is really bad holding something frozen. I got prescriptions for an antibiotic for secondary infections (he said in adults we can get sinus infections), steroids for the inflammation and itching and Cepacol to numb my mouth. This is only day 3 of having it or day 5 since exposure. I hope it is better soon, this is worse than the flu!

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused your hand, foot, and mouth disease?