Patient Comments: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments

What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Comment from: james, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

This is day 2 of the hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). My 4 year old daughter got it and I just started symptoms yesterday. First it started with a sore throat. Then in the middle of the night I had itching all over. I have little red bumps on my nose, a couple on my hands, ears, legs, and butt, not many bumps just a few, but they itch like crazy, even places I don't have bumps still itch. My doctor said try Claritin for the itching and swishing liquid antacid in my mouth, and Motrin for sore throat pain. What is weird is when I eat something my whole tongue kind of stings and hurts to eat the simplest of foods. Very odd disease. I would rather have the flu. Again this is day 2. People are telling me I am just getting started.

Comment from: Bonnie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have lost track of time and days. It's 10 pm and after reading these posts on hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) I hope that the store is open because I just sent my husband to buy yogurt. I have been through trauma before, but I have to say this is agony. I can't imagine going through 3, 4 or 5 more days. Thank you to those who took the time to post on here. I truly thought I was nuts after reading about this and articles saying adults don't get it that bad, etc. Anyone writing that has never been through what we have!

Comment from: Worried mom, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 21

My son is 5 year and 5 months. He started to have cough and runny nose, and I brought him to his pediatrician the next day. His pediatrician checked him up and gave him medicine for cough and runny nose. Then the night of the same day he got fever of 38.5 degree Celsius and reddening of his skin, especially extremities (don't know if it's because of fever). I went back to his pediatrician the next day, and he just gave fever medicine and instructed me to continue his cough medicine; that was yesterday. Now I notice he already has small white blisters all over his mouth, tongue, gums, cheeks and lips, though he said they don't hurt. This time I saw red rashes on his hands, feet, buttocks and genital area, a few on his elbows and knees, and very few on other parts of his body. And they started to itch, he said it was like he was being stung by many mosquitos on his hands and feet. By the way we are from the Philippines. I suspect hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). It is middle of the night on my time zone.

Comment from: Katmama, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 29

My 7 month old daughter got hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) first somehow (no daycare and she isn't really crawling yet). Her first spot was in her diaper area so I thought it was diaper rash. She never got a fever or had any spots in her mouth or the soles of her feet. Most of the sores were on her outer mouth with a few random ones on her knee, foot, and diaper line. She got a rash on her legs as well. The spots got weepy, then healed quickly. It didn't seem to bother her. Then, I got a 101 fever for 3 days and felt awful. I broke out on one knee, but it wasn't itchy. I thought it was unrelated. Now my 2 year old has it around his mouth, on his hands, and just woke up screaming about the soles of his feet. Poor guy, he's having the hardest time of the three of us. I'm hoping somehow my husband escapes it. Lanolin helped my daughter's sores heal quickly.

Comment from: Kh2183, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I am 33 and contracted hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) from my niece. Crazy there is no information on adults and the few references say adult cases are milder. There is no way this is milder given my family's description of my niece's reaction. It started with severe muscle aches, headache, chills, sore throat, swollen glands, and fatigue. Fever of 100.5 the next night. I called in to work and reported the flu (I work at a hospital). The next morning I woke up with burning/itchy rash on my feet. Next it spread to my hands. I'm lucky so far no sores in my mouth. There is visible rash all over my body, but it's my hands and feet that constantly burn and itch to the point where I cry. I can barely walk or open things. Slathering Greek yogurt on hands and feet seems to help a little bit for a few hours. Most helpful thing I've found is filling a gallon freezer Ziploc about 1/3 with water, letting it get cold but not frozen and then putting it on my hands and feet. Since it's chilled but not frozen, it conforms to my feet and hands and can get between to alleviate the burning/itching/swelling between fingers and toes. If you had a toddler with itching you could put toys in it and they'd probably enjoy playing with it while it soothed the itch. My niece apparently never experienced itching and is now over it. Who'd have thought such a foul virus could be transmitted by such an adorable toddler!

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused your hand, foot, and mouth disease?