Patient Comments: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments

What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Comment from: Worried mom, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 21

My son is 5 year and 5 months. He started to have cough and runny nose, and I brought him to his pediatrician the next day. His pediatrician checked him up and gave him medicine for cough and runny nose. Then the night of the same day he got fever of 38.5 degree Celsius and reddening of his skin, especially extremities (don't know if it's because of fever). I went back to his pediatrician the next day, and he just gave fever medicine and instructed me to continue his cough medicine; that was yesterday. Now I notice he already has small white blisters all over his mouth, tongue, gums, cheeks and lips, though he said they don't hurt. This time I saw red rashes on his hands, feet, buttocks and genital area, a few on his elbows and knees, and very few on other parts of his body. And they started to itch, he said it was like he was being stung by many mosquitos on his hands and feet. By the way we are from the Philippines. I suspect hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). It is middle of the night on my time zone.

Comment from: Katmama, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 29

My 7 month old daughter got hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) first somehow (no daycare and she isn't really crawling yet). Her first spot was in her diaper area so I thought it was diaper rash. She never got a fever or had any spots in her mouth or the soles of her feet. Most of the sores were on her outer mouth with a few random ones on her knee, foot, and diaper line. She got a rash on her legs as well. The spots got weepy, then healed quickly. It didn't seem to bother her. Then, I got a 101 fever for 3 days and felt awful. I broke out on one knee, but it wasn't itchy. I thought it was unrelated. Now my 2 year old has it around his mouth, on his hands, and just woke up screaming about the soles of his feet. Poor guy, he's having the hardest time of the three of us. I'm hoping somehow my husband escapes it. Lanolin helped my daughter's sores heal quickly.

Comment from: Kh2183, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I am 33 and contracted hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) from my niece. Crazy there is no information on adults and the few references say adult cases are milder. There is no way this is milder given my family's description of my niece's reaction. It started with severe muscle aches, headache, chills, sore throat, swollen glands, and fatigue. Fever of 100.5 the next night. I called in to work and reported the flu (I work at a hospital). The next morning I woke up with burning/itchy rash on my feet. Next it spread to my hands. I'm lucky so far no sores in my mouth. There is visible rash all over my body, but it's my hands and feet that constantly burn and itch to the point where I cry. I can barely walk or open things. Slathering Greek yogurt on hands and feet seems to help a little bit for a few hours. Most helpful thing I've found is filling a gallon freezer Ziploc about 1/3 with water, letting it get cold but not frozen and then putting it on my hands and feet. Since it's chilled but not frozen, it conforms to my feet and hands and can get between to alleviate the burning/itching/swelling between fingers and toes. If you had a toddler with itching you could put toys in it and they'd probably enjoy playing with it while it soothed the itch. My niece apparently never experienced itching and is now over it. Who'd have thought such a foul virus could be transmitted by such an adorable toddler!

Comment from: Matt, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

My hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) symptoms started with what looked like athlete's Foot but at the same time there were spots on my chest. Two days earlier I had a nauseous feeling and had a mild fever however it went away the next day. Due to my itchy right foot I went to see a podiatrist and he first prescribed an anti-fungal cream for my feet, but after one day my feet and hands were extremely sore. I described some swelling in my feet to him and he thought it was an allergic reaction to the first cream. I got a second anti-fungal cream prescribed and my pharmacist was concerned as I described to her all my symptoms. She suggested what I had wasn't a local infection but perhaps systemic and because it was spreading quickly I should go see a doctor as soon as possible. As it turns out it was HFMD and my son had very mild symptoms of it recently but because it doesn't usually appear in adults I didn't make the connection. It is day 3 of the virus and although my hands are better, I can barely walk. I really hope it goes away soon!

Comment from: LoriAgar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

On Friday I woke up feeling lethargic, by the evening I was running a fever of 100.3. The next day fever was on and off, then spots started showing up, on hands, chest, feet, and blisters in my mouth and on my lips. Sunday, today, my hands are itching intensely, no appetite, it hurts to eat. I have been eating really soft food and drinking water. I went to clinic, the doctor looked like he wanted to run from me! Sure enough it was hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). He asked if I had been around any babies. No, I had not. I starting thinking and I have a friend that came by Tuesday that has a girlfriend with a baby in daycare. The only things that seems to help are hydrogen peroxide mouth wash, baking soda paste for brushing teeth, Cortizone and Benadryl for itching, Blistex for my lips, Advil for fever and headaches, dry eye drops, and when the itching is really bad holding something frozen. I got prescriptions for an antibiotic for secondary infections (he said in adults we can get sinus infections), steroids for the inflammation and itching and Cepacol to numb my mouth. This is only day 3 of having it or day 5 since exposure. I hope it is better soon, this is worse than the flu!

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused your hand, foot, and mouth disease?