Patient Comments: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments

What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Comment from: Michelle C., 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 26

Thank you to the people who mentioned using yogurt for the itching associated with hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). My 9 year old daughter was crying from the itching on her feet after enduring all the other symptoms (fever, mouth sores, etc.) I felt so sorry for her, but didn't know how to bring her any relief. I gave her a dose of allergy medicine and coated both of her feet in yogurt. I was amazed at how quickly the yogurt soothed her feet. She is resting now, finally. I have another tub of yogurt ready for her when she wakes just in case!

Comment from: teresa14, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

Hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) has to be one of the most annoying and painful viruses out there. The first day, I got flu-like symptoms. I had a massive headache, couldn't stop coughing, my whole body's muscles were sore, and I was freezing one minute then overly hot the next. I lay in bed for the whole day with no energy whatsoever. I even barely had energy to go to the bathroom. The second day, all of those symptoms were gone except for a painful sore throat. I thought the worst was over but boy was I wrong! The third day, the rash and blisters came. The itching will drive you insane. It makes sleeping almost impossible because all you want to do is scratch yourself like crazy. I had to muster so much self-control in order not to scratch my hands as I knew it would only make things worse. I tried taking Advil and slathering on hydrocortisone anti-itch cream but they could only help so much. I'm currently on my fourth day and I have been developing more blisters and red spots on my hands and foot. I really hope I recover from this soon. I will try using yogurt as someone mentioned before to see if it'll bring relief to my itching.

Comment from: Bonnie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have lost track of time and days. It's 10 pm and after reading these posts on hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) I hope that the store is open because I just sent my husband to buy yogurt. I have been through trauma before, but I have to say this is agony. I can't imagine going through 3, 4 or 5 more days. Thank you to those who took the time to post on here. I truly thought I was nuts after reading about this and articles saying adults don't get it that bad, etc. Anyone writing that has never been through what we have!

Comment from: Worried mom, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 21

My son is 5 year and 5 months. He started to have cough and runny nose, and I brought him to his pediatrician the next day. His pediatrician checked him up and gave him medicine for cough and runny nose. Then the night of the same day he got fever of 38.5 degree Celsius and reddening of his skin, especially extremities (don't know if it's because of fever). I went back to his pediatrician the next day, and he just gave fever medicine and instructed me to continue his cough medicine; that was yesterday. Now I notice he already has small white blisters all over his mouth, tongue, gums, cheeks and lips, though he said they don't hurt. This time I saw red rashes on his hands, feet, buttocks and genital area, a few on his elbows and knees, and very few on other parts of his body. And they started to itch, he said it was like he was being stung by many mosquitos on his hands and feet. By the way we are from the Philippines. I suspect hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). It is middle of the night on my time zone.

Comment from: Katmama, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 29

My 7 month old daughter got hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) first somehow (no daycare and she isn't really crawling yet). Her first spot was in her diaper area so I thought it was diaper rash. She never got a fever or had any spots in her mouth or the soles of her feet. Most of the sores were on her outer mouth with a few random ones on her knee, foot, and diaper line. She got a rash on her legs as well. The spots got weepy, then healed quickly. It didn't seem to bother her. Then, I got a 101 fever for 3 days and felt awful. I broke out on one knee, but it wasn't itchy. I thought it was unrelated. Now my 2 year old has it around his mouth, on his hands, and just woke up screaming about the soles of his feet. Poor guy, he's having the hardest time of the three of us. I'm hoping somehow my husband escapes it. Lanolin helped my daughter's sores heal quickly.

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused your hand, foot, and mouth disease?