Patient Comments: Hand Foot and Mouth Syndrome - Treatments

What treatment did you receive for hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease?

Comment from: SoloMum, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 18

My 16 month old has been diagnosed with hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease. I thought it was chicken pox at first and wondered why the spots didn't appear on his chest and back when I put him in the bath. I think his case is mild (due to spot count). Symptoms showed as low grade fever (100 C), very sore looking diaper rash, sore throat and spots on his fingers that blistered after a couple days. He is on day 8 and all but 4 blisters have dried up. Redness is gone. No fever and energy level is normal. I'm curious to know if his HFM is still contagious. I'm a nursing student doing clinical. I don't want to infect any of the elderly residents, but I can't afford the cost of making up the time.

Comment from: Leah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

This virus is no joke! I was exposed to a toddler with HFM on Saturday. Tuesday evening, I started feeling an intense fever and chills, sore throat, and headache. Wednesday I was in bed all day and not able to eat. Thursday I felt almost back to normal, but I had a few small red blisters on my hand. Went to doctor and they dismissed it as "just a virus," so was given no treatment. By that evening, more blisters had developed on my hands and a few on my feet. I knew it had to be HFM. I woke up Friday morning with a rash on most of my body, with a few new blisters on my arms and legs and around my nose. It was painful to walk or to hold anything. Went back to doctor and they agreed (this time) that it was HFM. Still no treatment, just told to use an OTC cream for the rash and Ibuprofen for the pain. Now it's Saturday and the rash doesn't appear to be any better and my hands are definitely worse. The ulcers on my throat are very painful so I can only eat ice cream, milkshakes, etc. I just hope this goes away SOON!

Comment from: Courtney G., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I'm not sure if my experience it rare, but I have HFM and instead of pain. I am sooo itchy on my hands and feet. The first day was like what most described high fever, chills, headache and flu-like. Then the red bumps, hard to see at first, but its day three now and they are super red. Last night, I couldn't sleep because of the itch and swelling. The ER prescribed a low-dose oral steroid and a stronger version of Benadryl since nothing over the counter worked. I tried all of it. Who wants to go to the ER for itching. It works, but doesn't numb it. The worst is trying to stay as far away from my 14 month old son, who surprisingly didn't give it to me! My PA student sister said if I have to be near him to wear gloves and socks and don't kiss on him. I am doing my best. Fingers crossed it doesn't spread to him.

Comment from: lrussell, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

My grandson was diagnosed with hand foot and mouth disease two weeks ago. I felt bad last weekend, then Monday I went home from work with a high fever of 103.5. I stayed in bed until Tuesday evening, got ready for work Wednesday feeling much better with the fever gone, but my throat was killing me and my hands had a few spots on them. My husband though it was from my fever. I went to work, about 1 hour later my hands starting getting more red spots/bumps. I went to the clinic and it was diagnosed as HFM. I was given a prescription for lidocaine to use for my mouth sores (which is an awful painful feeling). I have to gargle and swish around my mouth so I can at least attempt to eat a meal. But I agree with the others that posted on here. They need to prepare you of how painful this is. I feel sorry for the babies and toddlers that get this. I feel sorry for anyone that gets this. My hands are so swollen and red and sore I can't even hold a glass to drink. The bottom of my feet only have a few bumps, but they hurt to stand on them. For some reason I have it around my elbows and it hurts to rest my arms on anything. Keep your hands washed and don't let anyone use your towel. If your babies have it don't kiss them as it spreads from their saliva and running noses. Eat soft foods and smoothie type drinks to keep food in your stomach. Today is Friday and my breakout started Wednesday. I sure hope it goes away quick. I usually don't write in any of these forms but I had to put in my input on this disease because of how painful it is. Rest, take ibuprofen, and get something to rinse in your mouth, warm salt water helps a little bit, but get something that numbs it.

Comment from: jessmess223, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 07

It is sad that this information doesn't tell you how painful this virus is. I work at a daycare and a 1 yr old baby had the virus but his doctor said it was a reaction to antibiotics, that hfm doesn't occur during January. Well this baby was taken into the nursery with infants and of course the virus spread. My daughter is only 4 months old and it got to her last week. I stayed home with her and by the 3rd day I started feeling awful and was running a 103.3 degree temp and felt like I had the flu. Every time I sat up or walked my head felt like it was going to explode (like a migraine) and I couldn't eat. After two days of sleep and my fever finally broke I developed a very sore throat and red bumps on my hands and feet and yes they hurt so bad. I feel so sorry for any baby that has to go through this. I think doctors should be more educated on this virus before sending people back to work and children back to school/daycare to let this awful thing spread.

Hand Foot and Mouth Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused hand foot and mouth Disease?