Patient Comments: Hand Foot and Mouth Syndrome - Symptoms

What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease?

Comment from: Wang, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

My 13-month son was diagnosed with scarlet fever last Friday and started on antibiotics. Then I spotted some rashes on his hands and feet later that day and thought they might be the symptom of scarlet fever. Then on Sunday night I got the first time over-the-night fever in my life and paracetamol didn"t work. By Monday afternoon the fever finally went away but I started to get a few rashes on the side of my finger, together with a sore throat. Next morning the rashes got worse and looked like tiny holes filled with fluid underneath my skin! I went to the doctor and confirmed for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). Now it"s Wednesday morning and it got even worse! I am almost certain that the first doctor has misdiagnosed my son and it wasn"t scarlet fever but HFMD. He is recovered now and the sand paper like rashes attributed to scarlet fever never appeared, only spots on his hands and feet. And I would definitely say the disease is more severe on adults then on infants! I can"t imagine how on earth my son could possibly endure the amount of pain and itchiness I am having now! By the way, I"m not using any medication and just sitting and waiting for it to “self-limit”.

Comment from: sophieloo, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I am currently in the development stage of hand, foot, and mouth disease and I will explain my horrendous experience up until now. Day 1. I came home and felt very lethargic. I had pounding head, aching body, just feeling rubbish overall. I tucked myself into bed and hoped I would sleep it off over a couple of hours. I woke up shivering, yet covered top to toe in sweat. I felt like this all night with an excruciating headache and experienced hallucinations due to my fever. Day 2. I was not much better, I was again sweating yet shivering, general flu like symptoms. By the end of the day my temperature had begun to cool down and I started to feel a little better as the headache eased off. But then came my sore throat - pure agony! After getting my mum to look into my mouth we could see that the back of my throat had erupted into small ulcers / blisters! Day 3. (Where I am now) I've been to the doctors today with an extremely sore throat. He said because I have had no outbreak of blisters on my hands / feet then he cannot say I have hand foot and mouth, more like tonsillitis. I have had tonsillitis before and this is so much worse than that. About 2 hours ago I developed a very strange tingling sensation in my fingertips and my toes with very small red bumps underneath. Not raised, but definitely there. Quite tender to the touch. I will keep you updated if the lumps erupt into blisters, fingers crossed they stay well away!

Comment from: Sue, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

My 16 year old son broke out in a "rash" and was given antibiotics because the doctor thought he had bacterial infection. Two days later I developed similar symptoms, but luckily I found this information. My symptoms were much worse than his, however. Progression: sore throat day 1-2; fever/chills day 2; minor bumps on hands day 3; hundreds of awful blisters on the soles and sides of my feet days 3-21. My hands did get a little more on the palms, but never too bad. The blisters on my feet were by far the worst pain I have ever had. For three days stepping and walking around was excruciating pins and needles, then gratefully dull pain for a couple of days. I may have developed one mouth sore, no worse than a canker sore. My hands got dry and flaky where the bumps were, but were soon fine. My feet developed thick callouses where the blisters were under the surface, then they peeled in thick sheets. It was almost like I have moleskin peeling off the soles of my feet. This has happened over the course of about a month or more now, and am still able to see the blister locations, but thankfully the pain only lasted about a week. Whoever said adults get it less severe than the youngsters is either misinformed, or there is a stronger strain out there, because I had it!

Comment from: cookiegirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

This is seriously the most miserably sick I have been in a long time. It started out with a sore throat, I thought I was getting a cold. Then I started feeling crummy, fever for about a day and a half. I started to feel like myself again and then bam bumps started to form on my hands. They just kept getting worse and worse; and then the sores started on my feet. Sores on my chin and face, and scattered on my body. Now they are like little blisters. It's tingly but painful and also itchy! Hoping this doesn't last for another week. I am taking ibuprofen and also Neosporin seems to help temporarily.

Hand Foot and Mouth Syndrome - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease?