Patient Comments: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Comment from: Patientpatient, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I am on day 6 of hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). I began the most horrid sore throat today with pain radiating into my ear, head, and jaw closing up. What has totally reversed the sore throat is eating raw cloves of garlic and fresh cayenne peppers (with other food, of course). I think the heat, in particular from the fresh cayenne, are burning out the virus. Blisters are starting to appear tonight on my hands and between toes. They itch like crazy, but I am also rubbing the raw cayenne pepper on to the blisters. So far, so good. I got HFMD from my 2 year old son who probably got it from Sunday school or another kid in day care at another church.

Comment from: MarylandGuy352, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 27

I am a 31 year-old male and currently have a severe case of hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). I had a fever, chills and severe sore throat this past Wednesday night (9/21) and assumed it was some sort of bad cold. I then woke up the next morning and noticed a light rash developing on my fingers and the top of my feet, which is when I decided to go to a local urgent care. The doctor diagnosed me with HFMD, explained what it is, and sent me home to stay off work and get rest. Since then the rash has spread significantly and has been one of the strangest and most painful experiences I've ever had with dealing with a viral infection. I have the severe sore throat that many people speak of, to the point where even water and cold or room temperature substances are painful to swallow. Swallowing in general is a tall order and quite painful. The blisters specifically on the palms of my hands and underside of my feet are not raised, but rather larger, flat, and a darker color under the surface of the skin. This causes walking to feel like your feet have 'fallen asleep' (pins and needles), and it is nearly impossible for me to grip a writing instrument, open anything with my hands, or use them much at all since the blisters are also covering my fingertips. The experience for me has been pretty bad and close to debilitating at the moment mostly due to the rash/blisters. I wanted to share my experience on this site partially so parents could have an adult perspective of what it feels like to go through having HFMD. I know every patient's experience with it varies. For example, I believe the fever I had was only an overnight thing for me. I had the chills along with it in addition to the sore throat, which is so bad that it radiates to the ears and can make it feel as if you may also have an ear infection. In my case the longest-lasting symptoms have been exclusively the rash/blisters and severe sore throat, which from what I read about the timeline for the virus may persist into next week.

Comment from: OC Dad, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 27

I am a 42 year old male who contracted hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) from my 2 year old. Here is my timeline: Day 1 (9 pm), it started with mild headache. Nighttime I had sleeping chills and body aches. Day 2 (am), I had mild sore throat and bad headache. I took 2 Aleve and 2 Tylenol. Day 3 I had moderate to severe sore throat, it was hard to swallow and headache had gone. I started to see vesicles on hands. Day 4 I had severe painful sore throat and unable to drink anything without severe pain. I rinsed with Magic mouthwash (Benadryl liquid plus dexamethasone elixir plus viscous lidocaine plus Maalox) and it helped slightly. The vesicles were worsening, now on face and some on feet. Day 5 currently, and there is slight improvement in sore throat, though still painful to eat or drink. Vesicles are getting bigger and more tender. I have been taking 2 Aleve and Tylenol every day and rinsing with Magic mouthwash 5 times/day. Hope this information helps.

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused your hand, foot, and mouth disease?