Patient Comments: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Comment from: saxylizard, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I contracted hand, foot, and mouth disease HFMD in January of 2015 from a coworker (who got it from her kid) and am still dealing with the side effects. Two fingernails and one toe nail (that I've found thus far) are falling off having separated from the nail bed. It started falling off in March and it's now May! This disease just keeps on going.

Comment from: Denisep, Female (Patient) Published: January 13

My bout with hand, foot and mouth (HFM) disease started with a very sore throat that lasted 3 days. On the second day I had a few red spots on the palm of hand. I got spots on both hands and both sides, ear lobes, around my mouth and in my mouth, palate and tongue. I have had shingles before and this was worse. The pain, itching and swelling was extreme. I felt like I'd lose my mind. Today is day 7, and I still have spots and swelling. My finger tips are so swollen they are overlapping my nails. I think they will peel. The tips are so swollen I can't use my smartphone!

Comment from: jc1977, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I am a 37 year old healthy female with no known history of hand, foot and mouth disease. Around 3 months ago I started experiencing fatigue and low back pain. That night I spiked a fever of 102. The next day my fever was gone, my aches and pains were gone. I noticed red spots on the palms and fingers of my hands. As the day progressed, so did the spots, they spread, and some turned into blisters. Within the next couple of days, the spots appeared on the bottom of my feet and were so painful that I could barely walk. A few spots appeared on my face, but I had no mouth sores. I went to my doctor who diagnosed me with hand, foot and mouth disease. Within the next couple of weeks, the skin on my hands and feet began to peel off. It was not painful, and the skin underneath did not hurt. The red spots slowly faded away. This happened for about 2 or 3 weeks. After my skin stopped peeling, my fingernails began to peel off from the cuticles. There were very thin fingernails underneath, again, this was not painful. This lasted for about 2 weeks, and they are still in the process of re-growing. It's now been over 2 months and my toenails are now peeling off the same way that my fingernails did, from the cuticle, they are very soft, and just peel off. I hope this is the end of this horrible disease that is taking so long to get out of my system. I was told that it is rare for adults to get this disease, but if you experience any of these symptoms, this could be what you are dealing with.

Comment from: Jlady01, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

I contracted hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease from my friend's 1 year old. It started with a sore throat and fever for just about a day and a half. Then I started getting bumps on my back, then hands, my forehead, feet, and mouth. This was in late August. I actually went to urgent care and they told me adults don't get HFM. It was a build-up of pain. It hurt to walk or touch anything. It was like stinging. The sores started to heal at least I thought, I was wrong. My friend caught it from me 3 weeks after I started to shed skin from bumps. Now my fingernails are still peeling off in December, almost 4 months after. I am reading this is still an effect for HFM. HFM is no joke.

Comment from: countrygirl26, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I'm 26 years old and just getting over hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease. I came home from work on a Monday with a sore throat and a fever. I just assumed it was a cold. Then Tuesday morning I woke up with a few red bumps on my right hand. I was a little worried but brushed if off think maybe something bit me. Then by Wednesday it started to spread to my left hand and more red bumps began to develop. I was getting worried at this point. I went to my doctor for the sore throat. She informed me that it's just a virus, it will pass. Then it started on my feet. By then I was convinced it was something more than the virus. I ended up at the emergency room. They checked me over. Then they informed me that I have

Comment from: Kessalia19, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

My two year old son gave me hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease. Everything I read said it's rare in adults, and if we do get it, it's mild; not true in my case. It is really bad, and I hope it goes away very soon.

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused your hand, foot, and mouth disease?