Patient Comments: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Comment from: Cegiff, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 20

My 19 year old daughter got hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) while at college. Very healthy girl with no direct contact with children. This has been miserable. She started with sores on her mouth. Initially she was treated for staph infection but when the fever hit on day 2 we took her to the pediatrician. The doctor immediately diagnosed her with HFMD. She had a fever for 5 days averaging 102.5 F. The sores on her mouth turned to ulcers or lesions and spread to her cheeks and nose. She had no internal mouth sores but did have a sore throat, joint pain and overall body ache. Also no sores or rash on hands and feet. This has been absolutely miserable for her. The fever is over and most sores are now open wounds seeping and bloody in appearance. Her face is in pain and she still has a headache on day 8. We have been using Redmond clay for wound healing and that seems to help. According to the pediatrician's office some of the new strains of HFMD are on the face only. Hoping this ends soon and that a vaccine is found to prevent this.

Comment from: Michel, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 29

I am 39 years old. My wife got hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) in October and so did I about 2 weeks later. She had it worse than me, with blisters around mouth, fingers and feet and only little bit sore throat. When I got it, I got headache and high fever (39 Celsius/102.2 F) but as I see the fever as a help against the virus I did not take any drugs to put it down but took cold showers every 30 to 60 minutes. Headache was terrible though! This was for about 2 days, then I started to get this tickling in the fingers and feet, very annoying. Next day the red blisters started on my feet, only very few on the hands, nothing on face, and no sore throat at all. Itching was only a little. There was a little pain while walking but skin on feet felt very dry/tight. About 1 week later I felt better, but I am not sure if it is exactly since this disease but I have been feeling very tired for 4 months already! Now on my vacation (4 months after this disease) and I have again blisters on my feet that look exactly the same, I got the itching and little pain too and my hands and feet also feel a little bit dry/tight. I am not sure if it is a new virus (there are several) and by really bad luck I got another form or if it is a relapse! But it is getting really frustrating with HFMD!

Comment from: DC_Lotus, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

Oh my goodness, what is this hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)! My progression was as follows. Saturday morning, the fever started. We were in the middle of a blizzard in the DC area, and the entire region was crippled. By the time Sunday morning rolled around, the fever spiked to 103, and eventually received a terrifying reading of 105.5! I managed to get the fever to break, and as I was headed to the emergency room (ER) at around 7 pm on Sunday, the sore throat hit. I've had strep many times. But this was worse. It felt like strep's older, meaner step sister. I couldn't eat, and strep never did that. It burned constantly and felt like swallowing hot coals. The ER gave me Vicodin and an antibiotic, thinking a bad case of strep. Strep test ended up being negative. That night, into Monday morning, the awful blisters started. At first, they itched, I thought it was a reaction to the penicillin-based medicine. The doctor took one look at the blisters, and told me I had HFMD. She said only a few things in medicine cause that type of blistering, and due to my other symptoms, there it was. I spent the next few days in torment with this terrible virus. My hands itched so bad that the only way I could sleep was to super-dose myself with antihistamines, slather myself with Eucerin, and wear gloves over my hands. The feet didn't start until Wednesday, and now I have blisters between my toes. But mercifully, it is now Friday and my hands no longer itch. I await the skin/nail peeling with pride. This was war. That kind of looks like herpes.

Comment from: Edna, Female (Patient) Published: January 15

The first symptoms of hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) were nausea, terrible headache, and overwhelming tiredness. By the next day I had swollen glands, and a sore throat that felt like glass shards were in the back of my throat. After 3 to 4 days of this, I went to the doctor for a strep test and a recheck of thyroid and I had two small spots on my hand. I mentioned them to the doctor because they hurt. She said I probably had some kind of viral cold. When many more spots appeared on my hands by the next morning, I googled pictures of spots and found the blisters of HFM disease. I noticed they were also on the roof of my mouth and on my tongue. They have been getting worse for several days with my feet being the last place to get the blisters. This is my 8th day and blisters are still appearing though I feel more like I'm going to live. I also have some random blisters on arms and legs, a few below nostrils. This disease is rough, I hope there's a vaccine soon. Also, I have no idea where I picked this up since I'm retired and have not been around children during the incubation period. I will see my grandkids once the blisters have healed and am very worried about them getting this.

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused your hand, foot, and mouth disease?