Patient Comments: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Comment from: Nellie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I am on my 6th day of hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). It started with what I thought was flu virus, aching badly, sore throat, earache, and shivering. I was shattered. By the 3rd day the symptoms had gone except sore throat. That night hands and feet started to itch and sting. Next day I had pin head blisters and rash on soles and palms; felt like walking and touching a bed of pins and needles. The only small relief was putting ice blocks under my feet. Strangely zinc and castor oil cream helped. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, itching is intense too. I wonder how long the blisters and rash last.

Comment from: 43female, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

My husband, children and I are getting over hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD), likely the A6 variety, which we picked up in Hawaii. It starts with chills, progresses to a 103 fever which breaks in two days. Then for me, but not my children, little red rashes appeared fairly quickly along with white ulcers in the back of the throat and a few on the tip of my nose. Then came the burning, itching, and acid-burning feeling on my hands and feet. It was a nightmare for a few days. One of the days I could not walk on my feet or hold anything. Then the rash turned into what looked like giant thick callouses that are peeling off in giant, plastic bottle thick, huge patches. I fully expect that my nails will fall out next since there was so much pressure under them. Stay hydrated and see a doctor to rule out other things. Good luck.

Comment from: Andy, Male (Patient) Published: October 14

I caught hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) from my 7 month old boy who had it last week. The doctors said he had a virus which caused his eczema to flare up all over his body. Then I had fever just like him over Friday night. By Saturday morning it had gone but I started to get little red blisters on finger plus I got a little eczema on face which had instantly flared up all over face and was itchy and sore. Now the blisters itch loads especially in between toes and I have one under toenail which throbs. It is Sunday night and I can't sleep. I can't wait for this to end.

Comment from: saxylizard, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I contracted hand, foot, and mouth disease HFMD in January of 2015 from a coworker (who got it from her kid) and am still dealing with the side effects. Two fingernails and one toe nail (that I've found thus far) are falling off having separated from the nail bed. It started falling off in March and it's now May! This disease just keeps on going.

Comment from: Denisep, Female (Patient) Published: January 13

My bout with hand, foot and mouth (HFM) disease started with a very sore throat that lasted 3 days. On the second day I had a few red spots on the palm of hand. I got spots on both hands and both sides, ear lobes, around my mouth and in my mouth, palate and tongue. I have had shingles before and this was worse. The pain, itching and swelling was extreme. I felt like I'd lose my mind. Today is day 7, and I still have spots and swelling. My finger tips are so swollen they are overlapping my nails. I think they will peel. The tips are so swollen I can't use my smartphone!

Comment from: jc1977, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I am a 37 year old healthy female with no known history of hand, foot and mouth disease. Around 3 months ago I started experiencing fatigue and low back pain. That night I spiked a fever of 102. The next day my fever was gone, my aches and pains were gone. I noticed red spots on the palms and fingers of my hands. As the day progressed, so did the spots, they spread, and some turned into blisters. Within the next couple of days, the spots appeared on the bottom of my feet and were so painful that I could barely walk. A few spots appeared on my face, but I had no mouth sores. I went to my doctor who diagnosed me with hand, foot and mouth disease. Within the next couple of weeks, the skin on my hands and feet began to peel off. It was not painful, and the skin underneath did not hurt. The red spots slowly faded away. This happened for about 2 or 3 weeks. After my skin stopped peeling, my fingernails began to peel off from the cuticles. There were very thin fingernails underneath, again, this was not painful. This lasted for about 2 weeks, and they are still in the process of re-growing. It's now been over 2 months and my toenails are now peeling off the same way that my fingernails did, from the cuticle, they are very soft, and just peel off. I hope this is the end of this horrible disease that is taking so long to get out of my system. I was told that it is rare for adults to get this disease, but if you experience any of these symptoms, this could be what you are dealing with.

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused your hand, foot, and mouth disease?