Patient Comments: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Comment from: Ayman, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 24

My 4 years old daughter got hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). First day fever was 38.5 to 39, and she had a sore throat. The doctor said it is a sore throat infection and gave her antibiotic. Second day the fever was okay, but the rash appeared on her mouth and very little on hand and leg. The doctor said it is HFMD. Third day was the painful day. She was screaming and crying from the pain and itchy. The pain last for two days. The ice water is the best to cool her off. Fourth day, the pain was gone and from fourth day to day 15, the rash turned into blisters and then skin peeled off of her hands and feet. Her mouth was the first to return to normal. But her hands and feet kept having blisters every day and then after a few days the skin peel off. Usually they say the symptoms disappear totally after 7 to 10 days. But now we are in day 15 and her hands and feet skin steal peel off. I hope she will not go through the peel of the fingernail. It is a bad disease. I really hope that no one gets it.

Comment from: StarGazer421, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I already have lupus, so this hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) virus got confused up with my lupus. First day felt a mild fever and sore throat, second day severe sore throat, severe fever, after 2 days the rashes that itched and blisters formed, horrible. The pain is even in my fingertips and toes! It was going around in the DV (domestic violence) shelter and I didn't know it was contagious. I have never been through a situation like this, the place was not that clean. So I washed all bedding, bleached down stuff; I am miserable.

Comment from: Asea, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

Here's a breakdown of how my hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) has gone so far. Day 1, I had fever, weakness, and nausea, one blister on hand and mild sore throat. Day 2, I had weakness and blisters formed on hands and feet (though only mildly and only painful when pressure or heat is applied). The doctor confirmed HFMD. Day 3, I had more blisters and severe pain at all times. I only had cold and ibuprofen helped but it never lasted for very long. I was woken up repeatedly by a fiery feeling in hands and feet. I have a mild sore throat still. Day 4, the pain peaked and was nearly unbearable. I couldn't walk for very long or hold much, even lying in bed hurt. Day 5, pain subsided quite a bit by midday. Lots of bed rest to minimize time on feet. Blisters started to look less red, though much itchier than before. I'm currently on day 6. The blisters are much duller in color and don't hurt unless high heat or decent pressure is applied. I can walk around a fair amount though only barefoot indoors. I never got more than one or two mouth blisters and my sore throat only lasted a few days, but had started before my fever. Giving a day by day so that you have an idea unlike me who didn't know when the pain would end two days ago.

Comment from: Mock567, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I had mild sore throat, no fever on Tuesday. On Wednesday sore throat got better but ulcers appeared on both sides on tongue and gums. On Thursday, a few red spots appeared on palms; painful but bearable. More ulcers on Friday, more red spots on palms, and the old ones became blisters. I discovered red spots on soles. Again painful but bearable. Eating became more challenging as ulcers became severe. Saturday, blisters on palms got better, no longer painful. Feet blisters started to itch. The way I walked was funny because I tried to avoid stepping on those blisters. Sunday, I could hardly eat even soft foods like porridge and cake because the small particles get into the ulcers. Good news, feet blisters got better. Monday, ulcers were slightly better. Worst thing of my hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) experience would be the ulcers. I googled HFMD on Wednesday and suspected I got it. The doctor I visited on Friday can't confirm my case as HFMD because I had no fever and no throat ulcers. The 2nd doctor I saw on Monday was quite determined after he saw ulcers in my throat. No medicine given to cure HFMD. I was only given with pain killer and oral disinfectant. I consider myself lucky as my condition is mild. Now I only hope that my baby wouldn't get it from me.

Comment from: D, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

With hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) I had swollen occipital lymph node on May 1, which got worse over week with itching and bumps around node. On May 6 to 8 I felt better. May 9 I had nausea, fever, and some aches. May 10 I had spots on hands and tiny itchy pimple by nose. May 10 night I had spots on feet, pain in hands. May 11 there was significant pain and worsening reds spots with some bigger bumps on hands, pain on soles and toes when walking, 20 red sores on chin, nose, forehead, and ear. May 12 same as May 11, fewer here, more there. Plunge hands and feet into ice water for immediate relief; use witch hazel on Q-tip on everything, and repeat several times, it works. I also used tea tree oil but witch hazel probably works better because of alcohol which dries out sores and helps contain spread. Plain alcohol would work but the witch hazel, especially ones with various oils like lemon probably help hold to skin longer and with aloe to soothe a bit. Thayers lemon wit aloe witch hazel is what I used; it's what I had in cupboard. You probably could gargle with witch hazel. Treat like poison ivy or chicken pox, drying it out is better than using creams. An old fashioned roll on, alcohol-base deodorant would probably help too, I used to do that for poison ivy. Benadryl and Tylenol didn't seem to help me much but Benadryl might help you sleep.

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused your hand, foot, and mouth disease?