Patient Comments: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Comment from: Mock567, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I had mild sore throat, no fever on Tuesday. On Wednesday sore throat got better but ulcers appeared on both sides on tongue and gums. On Thursday, a few red spots appeared on palms; painful but bearable. More ulcers on Friday, more red spots on palms, and the old ones became blisters. I discovered red spots on soles. Again painful but bearable. Eating became more challenging as ulcers became severe. Saturday, blisters on palms got better, no longer painful. Feet blisters started to itch. The way I walked was funny because I tried to avoid stepping on those blisters. Sunday, I could hardly eat even soft foods like porridge and cake because the small particles get into the ulcers. Good news, feet blisters got better. Monday, ulcers were slightly better. Worst thing of my hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) experience would be the ulcers. I googled HFMD on Wednesday and suspected I got it. The doctor I visited on Friday can't confirm my case as HFMD because I had no fever and no throat ulcers. The 2nd doctor I saw on Monday was quite determined after he saw ulcers in my throat. No medicine given to cure HFMD. I was only given with pain killer and oral disinfectant. I consider myself lucky as my condition is mild. Now I only hope that my baby wouldn't get it from me.

Comment from: D, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

With hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) I had swollen occipital lymph node on May 1, which got worse over week with itching and bumps around node. On May 6 to 8 I felt better. May 9 I had nausea, fever, and some aches. May 10 I had spots on hands and tiny itchy pimple by nose. May 10 night I had spots on feet, pain in hands. May 11 there was significant pain and worsening reds spots with some bigger bumps on hands, pain on soles and toes when walking, 20 red sores on chin, nose, forehead, and ear. May 12 same as May 11, fewer here, more there. Plunge hands and feet into ice water for immediate relief; use witch hazel on Q-tip on everything, and repeat several times, it works. I also used tea tree oil but witch hazel probably works better because of alcohol which dries out sores and helps contain spread. Plain alcohol would work but the witch hazel, especially ones with various oils like lemon probably help hold to skin longer and with aloe to soothe a bit. Thayers lemon wit aloe witch hazel is what I used; it's what I had in cupboard. You probably could gargle with witch hazel. Treat like poison ivy or chicken pox, drying it out is better than using creams. An old fashioned roll on, alcohol-base deodorant would probably help too, I used to do that for poison ivy. Benadryl and Tylenol didn't seem to help me much but Benadryl might help you sleep.

Comment from: Judy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

My 20-month old son got hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) first, but only mildly. I got it much, much worse. I only saw a few others with symptoms like mine (blisters in mouth only) so I thought I'd share, hope it's helpful. I am a 33 year old woman. My son was fussy for several days, with on-and-off very low grade fever. I thought he was teething or maybe he was fighting off a virus. He didn't want to eat or drink and my nanny noticed his gums were red and sore. Then I saw a small red bump on his lower lip and instantly realized it was HFMD. But by that point his fever was gone and he didn't seem bothered by any other symptoms. He seemed happy and over it. But then I got sick. It started with sore throat and vaguely not feeling well, then two days later a fever, body aches, and lethargy. Starting day 3 I had sores in my mouth, so bad I couldn't eat. It was excruciating. All my gums were swollen, my tongue had a yellow coat over it, and I had blisters on my tongue and the roof of my mouth. Drinking even water was painful. I tried everything I knew to stave off the illness; vitamins, herbs, rest, but it still came on strong. And the mouth blisters were really bad for five entire days. I am now on the 10th day of the illness and I am starting to feel better. I can finally eat a little and have a bit more energy, but am still lethargic. I was thankful to not have the blisters spread to my hands or feet but not being able to eat was tough too. Glad to be on the tail end of this, glad my son only got it mildly, and glad my husband seems to have steered clear of it altogether. I stayed home from work for five days.

Comment from: Cegiff, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 20

My 19 year old daughter got hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) while at college. Very healthy girl with no direct contact with children. This has been miserable. She started with sores on her mouth. Initially she was treated for staph infection but when the fever hit on day 2 we took her to the pediatrician. The doctor immediately diagnosed her with HFMD. She had a fever for 5 days averaging 102.5 F. The sores on her mouth turned to ulcers or lesions and spread to her cheeks and nose. She had no internal mouth sores but did have a sore throat, joint pain and overall body ache. Also no sores or rash on hands and feet. This has been absolutely miserable for her. The fever is over and most sores are now open wounds seeping and bloody in appearance. Her face is in pain and she still has a headache on day 8. We have been using Redmond clay for wound healing and that seems to help. According to the pediatrician's office some of the new strains of HFMD are on the face only. Hoping this ends soon and that a vaccine is found to prevent this.

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused your hand, foot, and mouth disease?