Patient Comments: Hand Foot and Mouth Syndrome - Symptoms

What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease?

Comment from: Jeremysmommy, Female (Caregiver) Published: May 24

Red rash. My son's started on the bottom. He started acting like he didn't feel well, loss of appetite, fever. Less than 48 hours it spread to other parts of his body. It looked like heat rash when he 1st had it, but it's on his hands, feet, near mouth when it spread.

Comment from: jeanne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have coxsackie virus, my first symptoms were painful sores on one side of my mouth, went to the doctor and was negative for strep, day 2 I was getting hot flashes sore throat, day three more sores in mouth so bad that I couldn't swallow and numbness around my lips. I gargle with peroxide or salt water. I have been on zpak for 5 days now and still have fever, and scratchy throat and very bad congestion. Hopefully it will be gone soon.

Comment from: concernedmother_2011, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 08

My daughter is 20 months old and she had HFM in her mouth. There were blisters inside her mouth and tongue and her gums bled. Her pediatrics doctor said for her to take one tsp of Benadryl and one tsp of Maalox mixed together every 4-6 hours and Tylenol or Advil for the fever and pain.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I had a sore throat and was feeling run-down. A few days later I started getting the sores in my mouth, then I got the small red bumps on my hands that turned into blisters. These were generally on my palms and pads of my fingers. Thankfully I only had a few red bumps on the tops of my feet and between my toes.

Comment from: Babs53, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I have 3 grown children and 5 grandchildren and hadn't ever heard much about this disease. Here's how mine has progressed. Day 1-4: itchy face, really itchy. Day 5-7: hives, low grade fever, joint pain, sore throat. Day 7-9: intense muscle pain, hives, fever, sore throat. Day 10-11: fever, sore throat, swelling in ankles and knees, and fingers. Fever 103.

Comment from: sharma, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

My 5 year old was diagnosed with hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease 7 days ago. But, suddenly the symptoms appeared on me also (34 year old male). The doctors advised me it was rare case, but my symptoms are getting worst. The rash and blisters are too many and very itchy and painful in my hand, face, and foot (sole).

Hand Foot and Mouth Syndrome - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease?