Patient Comments: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Comment from: cdubb, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I started out feeling like something was going to be wrong. I just started losing energy. Took my temp and had a fever. It got as high as about 102.8. The chills were unbelievable and I had this tingly sensation running up and down my body the entire time. Then I got a headache. The next morning the fever was gone briefly and then returned. I noticed a few dots on my hands but didn't think much of it until I started seeing more later in the day and they started to burn. Dumbly, I popped a few of them thinking they were something I'd had in the past. The next morning (this is now day 3) I had a ton on my hand so I went into the urgent care. The doctor said it sounded like HMF (something I have never heard of) and that I probably got it from my son, who had a rash on his butt that was wrongly diagnosed from his pediatrician as a yeast infection. The doctor told me I was likely through the worst of it, but at this time I had no bumps on my feet yet and probably a dozen or so on my hands. She told me it had to run its course. The next day (day 4) my hands were full of bumps, burning and itching). And the next day they were on my feet too. I am currently on day 7 and the bumps have flattened out and don't really itch anymore, but they are not gone yet. I used a lot of calamine, and creams on my hand to try and help with the itching, but stopped that day 5 hoping I could dry the bumps out quicker leaving them alone. Right now the tips of my fingers feel like there is super glue stuck to them. I have lost feeling in them probably due to bumps or liquid under the skin. This is the worst disease ever, but I was lucky enough not to get any in my mouth. The best way to deal with this disease is to sleep and take Benadryl for the rash, and be patient.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

Seven days ago, my 1-year old son was diagnosed with this virus. Five days later, I started having symptoms. His symptoms included sores inside the mouth, bad breath, fever, and a few sores on the corners of his lips. My symptoms are sores on my face, like bad acne, and an occasional headache. Each sore on my face has a small crater on top. All of my sores are below my mouth, and wrap around to include my jawline and neck. It is day four for me, and the sores are irritating but not painful.

Comment from: Mom of Three, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 01

Twenty nine years ago my 3 year old had this and his mouth and throat were so sore and swollen that he could not sleep. He would fall asleep, only to awaken scared to death because he couldn't get his breath and screaming with his sore throat. Ice chips were the best solution to calm him. A no-no at our house, but he slept with me for three nights due to this terrible disease. Told the pediatrician there should be a vaccine for this as it was far worse than chicken pox which my three boys had already had. I am sorry to hear that years later the doctors still don't take this disease seriously considering the pain it causes!

Comment from: Yorkjenn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

My one year old woke up with small red bumps on his chin and a rash on the backs of his legs. This progressed to a red rash in his diaper area and all over his bottom, red sore looking patches on his wrists, hands, ankles, heels and toes. He had a mild fever the first day. It has been 5 days and his rash is starting to fade on his face, but his legs are taking a lot longer to improve. The doctor looked in his mouth yesterday and said he had sores in his throat. I am one of the few adults who got HFM (from my son) and mine started out with a really sore throat that did not improve. 2 days later I woke up with itchy palms that progressed into an irregular red unraised rash, which then turned into blisters. The soles of my feet and toes also became sore and the next day the bumps appeared.

Comment from: mommy, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 13

My 3 year old daughter has been suffering from HFM now for 5 days. her lips look like raw hamburger, her gums are red and swollen, she has spots on her tongue, and her breath is wretched from all the rotten sores! The worst part is the pain! Tylenol and lidocaine mouthwash don't do enough, and we may only be half done! My husband had this a couple years ago, and had a rough time, too; it's nasty stuff!

Comment from: Sufferer, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 07

I'm a 47 year old male into my second day of blisters from HFM. The pain is unbearable, I can't walk, it hurts to type, etc.

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused your hand, foot, and mouth disease?