Patient Comments: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Comment from: Sue, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

My 16 year old son broke out in a "rash" and was given antibiotics because the doctor thought he had bacterial infection. Two days later I developed similar symptoms, but luckily I found this information. My symptoms were much worse than his, however. Progression: sore throat day 1-2; fever/chills day 2; minor bumps on hands day 3; hundreds of awful blisters on the soles and sides of my feet days 3-21. My hands did get a little more on the palms, but never too bad. The blisters on my feet were by far the worst pain I have ever had. For three days stepping and walking around was excruciating pins and needles, then gratefully dull pain for a couple of days. I may have developed one mouth sore, no worse than a canker sore. My hands got dry and flaky where the bumps were, but were soon fine. My feet developed thick callouses where the blisters were under the surface, then they peeled in thick sheets. It was almost like I have moleskin peeling off the soles of my feet. This has happened over the course of about a month or more now, and am still able to see the blister locations, but thankfully the pain only lasted about a week. Whoever said adults get it less severe than the youngsters is either misinformed, or there is a stronger strain out there, because I had it!

Comment from: cookiegirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

This is seriously the most miserably sick I have been in a long time. It started out with a sore throat, I thought I was getting a cold. Then I started feeling crummy, fever for about a day and a half. I started to feel like myself again and then bam bumps started to form on my hands. They just kept getting worse and worse; and then the sores started on my feet. Sores on my chin and face, and scattered on my body. Now they are like little blisters. It's tingly but painful and also itchy! Hoping this doesn't last for another week. I am taking ibuprofen and also Neosporin seems to help temporarily.

Comment from: Nursing Mom, Female (Caregiver) Published: December 05

My 4 year old son who has Alopecia Areata (an autoimmune disorder) developed white sores on his tongue and then blisters on his hands. It was very difficult for him to eat, but he was very happy about getting Popsicle all the time. We rinsed his mouth about 3 times a day with salt water and made a game out of it. Advil was given for any pain or fever but he only got a fever on the first day of symptoms. I am also expecting our third baby and am 6 weeks along. My obstetrician-gynecologist was contacted and stated that I get blood work to see if I was ever exposed to the virus. I am still waiting for results. This is day 6 of the "incubation" period and his blisters in his mouth have vanished and the blisters on his hands are almost gone. The blisters on his hands have left red dots and will go away soon.

Comment from: nance, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I contracted the virus from my grandchild who, unbeknownst to us, had a mild case. Mine started with a high fever and headache for 2 days, then a low grade fever. My ear ached from the sores that developed in the back of my mouth. I couldn't swallow food, liquids hurt, too. By the 3rd day the rash and sores appeared on my hands. They hurt so much I could barely wash them. They actually are stiff and I am unable to do simple chores with them. By the following day my feet started throbbing. The sores are along the insides and the soles. Walking has been difficult. The doctor told me after his diagnosis that when adults get this it is worse than what a child gets. I'm living proof to that. I have never had anything this painful and prolonged. I have been through childbirth, gall balder removal, and surgery for a broken ankle. This is far worse and lingering. I am hoping now that it is in my feet it is working its way out of my body.

Comment from: mle2b123, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 08

My 2-1/2 year old has been diagnosed with hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease. This was the progression: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday he was feeling cruddy but eating, running temperature and trembles but no rash yet. Thursday he felt better until his fever started running again. Thursday night the rash came and he woke up covered, both legs and arms, with 100-degree temperature at the doctor's. He got medicine Friday night but woke up Saturday and it had spread to his hands. Sunday it has spread to his feet. I have to keep him covered and lathered and away from others.

Comment from: cj, Male (Patient) Published: July 22

I'm 16 and I work retail and the first 3 days of hand, foot, and mouth disease were absolutely terrible, I could barely stand. Moving on to day 3, my hands are feeling terrible, I can barely play basketball and had often had to stay home and not go to practice. I'm lactose intolerant but I've been eating ice creams and eating Tim Hortons soup. I don't wish this on anyone and hope someone else is fighting this with me.

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused your hand, foot, and mouth disease?