Patient Comments: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Comment from: Libbylu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

The symptoms of my hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease were: Day 1, feverish and feeling a little fatigued with a mild sore throat. Must have been worse than I realized, because I side swiped the gate on my way into work. Fatigue grew more severe so I came home in the afternoon. I took ibuprofen but it did little to help the severe body aches and fever. My tonsils were so swollen it was hard to swallow. I took NyQuil and slept fine but woke up drenched in sweat. Day 2, no more body aches but fever and sore throat persisted. Sores developed on hands, feet, and face. By night time the sores were extremely itchy. I can't sleep at all even on Benadryl + Tylenol. Calamine and benzocaine do nothing for the itching. Hopefully tomorrow is better.

Comment from: siegeliz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I had a fever Monday afternoon/evening. Tuesday I had a few spots that looked like mosquito bites. Since I work in a daycare and a kid was suspected to have chicken pox, I went to urgent care. I was told it could be hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease, but that typically adults don't get the rash. I must be extra special because it was on my scalp, my hands, my feet, my bikini area, my face, as well as a few on arms/legs; extremely itchy and painful. I am using caramel and wrapping hands/feet in gauze along with wearing knit gloves/socks, which helped me sleep at night. Dandruff shampoo helped the itchy head. I used Lysol and used disinfectant wipes on everything, and am washing all clothes worn and towels used daily. It's now Sunday and the pain/itchiness is for the most part gone. Spots are still visible but all dried up. This is causing my fingertips to be numb, however.

Comment from: ErikBourre, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

The pure agony that is hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease! It all started out as a mild fever, which ended up getting better, so I thought I was getting better. How horribly wrong I was. It is day four or five now, and the blisters and spots have moved from my hands very quickly up my forearms and partially onto my upper arms. I have blisters sporadically up my legs past the knees, but my throat is not that bad. The worst part of all of this is the itchiness, I wasn't able to sleep for a single minute because of how itchy these sores are, and I used half a bottle of anti-itch cream. The cream was useless, the sores laughed at my cream as if it were nothing. I just hope when I see the doctor today he can prescribe something, or at least give me hope that this nightmare will be over soon. Good luck to all of you!

Comment from: Wang, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

My 13-month son was diagnosed with scarlet fever last Friday and started on antibiotics. Then I spotted some rashes on his hands and feet later that day and thought they might be the symptom of scarlet fever. Then on Sunday night I got the first time over-the-night fever in my life and paracetamol didn"t work. By Monday afternoon the fever finally went away but I started to get a few rashes on the side of my finger, together with a sore throat. Next morning the rashes got worse and looked like tiny holes filled with fluid underneath my skin! I went to the doctor and confirmed for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). Now it"s Wednesday morning and it got even worse! I am almost certain that the first doctor has misdiagnosed my son and it wasn"t scarlet fever but HFMD. He is recovered now and the sand paper like rashes attributed to scarlet fever never appeared, only spots on his hands and feet. And I would definitely say the disease is more severe on adults then on infants! I can"t imagine how on earth my son could possibly endure the amount of pain and itchiness I am having now! By the way, I"m not using any medication and just sitting and waiting for it to “self-limit”.

Comment from: sophieloo, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I am currently in the development stage of hand, foot, and mouth disease and I will explain my horrendous experience up until now. Day 1. I came home and felt very lethargic. I had pounding head, aching body, just feeling rubbish overall. I tucked myself into bed and hoped I would sleep it off over a couple of hours. I woke up shivering, yet covered top to toe in sweat. I felt like this all night with an excruciating headache and experienced hallucinations due to my fever. Day 2. I was not much better, I was again sweating yet shivering, general flu like symptoms. By the end of the day my temperature had begun to cool down and I started to feel a little better as the headache eased off. But then came my sore throat - pure agony! After getting my mum to look into my mouth we could see that the back of my throat had erupted into small ulcers / blisters! Day 3. (Where I am now) I've been to the doctors today with an extremely sore throat. He said because I have had no outbreak of blisters on my hands / feet then he cannot say I have hand foot and mouth, more like tonsillitis. I have had tonsillitis before and this is so much worse than that. About 2 hours ago I developed a very strange tingling sensation in my fingertips and my toes with very small red bumps underneath. Not raised, but definitely there. Quite tender to the touch. I will keep you updated if the lumps erupt into blisters, fingers crossed they stay well away!

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused your hand, foot, and mouth disease?