Patient Comments: Hand Foot and Mouth Syndrome - Symptoms

What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease?

Comment from: coco88, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I am not sure how I got the virus. But, it started out with a horrible sore throat and flu like symptoms. I thought maybe I had bronchitis so I figured I would be okay soon. Two days later I woke up for my nap with painful blisters on my hands and feet I could not hold anything, walk, I could not even change my sons diaper. I did not know what it was. The next day I went to the doctor and they told me it was HFM. I had no idea what it was. What I found that really worked for me was I bathed in peroxide, gargled with it, and soaked my feet at night for a hour. It worked like a charm, the next day I barely had any pain at all and my bumps are slowly going away. Get Peroxide it's great.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I had HFM disease about seven years ago and I hope and pray I never get it again. My mouth looked like raw hamburger meat. My doctor said it was the worst case he had seen. Nothing helped with the pain. I had blisters in my mouth for about a month.

Comment from: Angela, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 22

I am the mother of six children and had never heard of hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease until yesterday. I took my 2 year old into the doctor for a fever and sore throat. He said it may be hand, foot, and mouth disease or chickenpox, I came home looked it up and thought, yep, HFM it is! His hands and feet look just like the pictures. Then my 4 year old got chickenpox this morning, so now I am wondering if he has them both? I have three boys who are probably going to break out in chickenpox and will need me to be healthy. The 2 year old had fever, sore throat, rash with blisters and lethargy, the rash came on a day after the fever started.

Comment from: Cupcake, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 06

My granddaughter caught HFMD Thanksgiving Day on her lips, hands, legs, and feet. One month and one week later after Christmas the blisters came back on her hands and feet. She could barely walk this time due to the blisters on the bottom her feet and on her toes made her feet red and swollen.

Comment from: Dilip, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 22

I contracted HFM disease from my 2-year-old son. I had rashes and sores on my feet (very painful) and on the palms and my throat. Small blisters, though not painful, appeared on the scalp of my head and behind my ears. My doctor prescribed Azithromycin and some analgesics like Paracetamol to relieve the pain.

Comment from: lillan315, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I started out with fever and feeling very tired. Then my throat was hurting and I went to the doctor and he saw the ulcers in the back of my throat. Now I have pink eye as well. I feel very tired and don't know how I contracted this virus. He said it was coxsackie virus. l thought he made it up until I looked it up!

Comment from: mam zai, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 17

I rushed my 1year old daughter into the hospital because she had fever for two days. The doctor gave her antibiotic and an antiviral, looks like syrup. This is the day before rashes on her palm and feet came out. Now I'm wondering if I will continue giving the medicine. I got confused with the information I had that there is no treatment for hand, foot, and mouth disease.

Comment from: sacrifice myself, 3-6 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

My 4 year old just got hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease and has one blister on his finger and two more starting to turn into blisters on the same finger. He has red spots in his mouth and on his feet, he is a lover so i told him he could only touch me. I didn't want him to feel like we didn't love him anymore, I would gladly get it from him (may be painful but I don't care) so he still gets his hugs and loves. He's still running around playing today, lots of popsicles, hopefully it doesn't get too bad for him.

Hand Foot and Mouth Syndrome - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused hand foot and mouth Disease?