Patient Comments: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Comment from: nance, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I contracted the virus from my grandchild who, unbeknownst to us, had a mild case. Mine started with a high fever and headache for 2 days, then a low grade fever. My ear ached from the sores that developed in the back of my mouth. I couldn't swallow food, liquids hurt, too. By the 3rd day the rash and sores appeared on my hands. They hurt so much I could barely wash them. They actually are stiff and I am unable to do simple chores with them. By the following day my feet started throbbing. The sores are along the insides and the soles. Walking has been difficult. The doctor told me after his diagnosis that when adults get this it is worse than what a child gets. I'm living proof to that. I have never had anything this painful and prolonged. I have been through childbirth, gall balder removal, and surgery for a broken ankle. This is far worse and lingering. I am hoping now that it is in my feet it is working its way out of my body.

Comment from: mle2b123, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 08

My 2-1/2 year old has been diagnosed with hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease. This was the progression: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday he was feeling cruddy but eating, running temperature and trembles but no rash yet. Thursday he felt better until his fever started running again. Thursday night the rash came and he woke up covered, both legs and arms, with 100-degree temperature at the doctor's. He got medicine Friday night but woke up Saturday and it had spread to his hands. Sunday it has spread to his feet. I have to keep him covered and lathered and away from others.

Comment from: cj, Male (Patient) Published: July 22

I'm 16 and I work retail and the first 3 days of hand, foot, and mouth disease were absolutely terrible, I could barely stand. Moving on to day 3, my hands are feeling terrible, I can barely play basketball and had often had to stay home and not go to practice. I'm lactose intolerant but I've been eating ice creams and eating Tim Hortons soup. I don't wish this on anyone and hope someone else is fighting this with me.

Comment from: segoviaone, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 12

During Memorial weekend we went to family's house, one of our nieces had sores in her mouth and her mother insisted that it was cold sores. Poor baby was in so much pain, her whole body shook from the pain when they put Orajel in her mouth. They figured out what it was from going to the hospital and told us that it wasn't contagious. Well, within a week of being home my 1 year old was crying, wouldn't take his bottle and when we put food in his mouth, screamed so loud from pain. Sure enough he had sores in his mouth and blisters on his toes and hands. I put coconut extra virgin oil in his bath and rubbed him down it after! I also put in on his tooth brush and let him rub it all in his mouth. This helped so much it soothed his skin and he was only 2 days into it, the next day he ate, he took his bottle. Now my older son has it (he is 3) and has it ten times worse than the baby. His face is swollen and he can't open his mouth. Nothing will go in his mouth, he is in so much pain. We made him brush his teeth with the coconut oil and now he's eating well, within hours of brushing. Coconut extra virgin oil will work and is calming, it also pulls the bacteria out of your mouth.

Comment from: Sue, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I posted earlier, but wanted to add more now that it has been a couple of months. I have lost one toe nail due to hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease, and expecting to lose two more as well as a finger nail. You can see a distinct marking where the damage occurred on each nail, and they are growing out, but will soon separate. Good times!

Comment from: Anne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease started by a single red spot that developed into a blister. After an hour a half a lot of it was on the palm of my hands and I was bothered already because it is not an ordinary rash or blister; it is very painful. Then I got a lot in my gums, my inner cheek, my tongue, and my oral cavity. I could not eat for days. I wasn't able to report for work because I can't talk because of the sores in my tongue.

Comment from: nika, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I have it now I was just at the hospital a few hours ago and my symptoms started off as a minor sore throat and headaches then 2 days later I started getting then small itchy bumps on my hands and feet. Then then next day I started getting painful blisters on my hands and feet and my throat was so sore I couldn't eat or drink after taking my 1st antibiotic shot I'm starting to feel a little better but the blisters hurt like hell.

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused your hand, foot, and mouth disease?