Patient Comments: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?

Comment from: jc1977, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I am a 37 year old healthy female with no known history of hand, foot and mouth disease. Around 3 months ago I started experiencing fatigue and low back pain. That night I spiked a fever of 102. The next day my fever was gone, my aches and pains were gone. I noticed red spots on the palms and fingers of my hands. As the day progressed, so did the spots, they spread, and some turned into blisters. Within the next couple of days, the spots appeared on the bottom of my feet and were so painful that I could barely walk. A few spots appeared on my face, but I had no mouth sores. I went to my doctor who diagnosed me with hand, foot and mouth disease. Within the next couple of weeks, the skin on my hands and feet began to peel off. It was not painful, and the skin underneath did not hurt. The red spots slowly faded away. This happened for about 2 or 3 weeks. After my skin stopped peeling, my fingernails began to peel off from the cuticles. There were very thin fingernails underneath, again, this was not painful. This lasted for about 2 weeks, and they are still in the process of re-growing. It's now been over 2 months and my toenails are now peeling off the same way that my fingernails did, from the cuticle, they are very soft, and just peel off. I hope this is the end of this horrible disease that is taking so long to get out of my system. I was told that it is rare for adults to get this disease, but if you experience any of these symptoms, this could be what you are dealing with.

Comment from: Jlady01, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

I contracted hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease from my friend's 1 year old. It started with a sore throat and fever for just about a day and a half. Then I started getting bumps on my back, then hands, my forehead, feet, and mouth. This was in late August. I actually went to urgent care and they told me adults don't get HFM. It was a build-up of pain. It hurt to walk or touch anything. It was like stinging. The sores started to heal at least I thought, I was wrong. My friend caught it from me 3 weeks after I started to shed skin from bumps. Now my fingernails are still peeling off in December, almost 4 months after. I am reading this is still an effect for HFM. HFM is no joke.

Comment from: countrygirl26, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I'm 26 years old and just getting over hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease. I came home from work on a Monday with a sore throat and a fever. I just assumed it was a cold. Then Tuesday morning I woke up with a few red bumps on my right hand. I was a little worried but brushed if off think maybe something bit me. Then by Wednesday it started to spread to my left hand and more red bumps began to develop. I was getting worried at this point. I went to my doctor for the sore throat. She informed me that it's just a virus, it will pass. Then it started on my feet. By then I was convinced it was something more than the virus. I ended up at the emergency room. They checked me over. Then they informed me that I have

Comment from: Laurenpie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

On Wednesday last week I noticed a small cluster of bumps right on the top of my baby's bum crack. She just started daycare (she is 12 months) and I thought maybe they didn't change her diaper fast enough. The next day, her bum exploded in spots. When I picked her up from daycare she had a fever which broke early Friday morning. She then developed a mild rash on both legs, and some red bumps on her hands. I took her to the doctor Saturday morning and there were a couple sores in her mouth. She was diagnosed with hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease. Good thing was that it didn't affect her eating. Fast forward to Monday, I started feeling what I thought were canker sores in my mouth. Tuesday I broke out into a fever with severe chills; bad headache. Wednesday I woke up feeling ok, but then the fever came back with on and off chills through the day. The highest I saw it go was 102.8. I treated it both days with ibuprofen. It was also difficult to swallow both food and liquid. Wednesday my hands started getting bumps and were painful. It was extra painful if I put them near anything hot. I also saw spots on my face in the afternoon that were not there in the morning. I could feel bumps in and around my ears. My feet felt pain in between the toes. Swallowing was still excruciatingly painful. Today (Thursday) the swallowing still hurts but not like yesterday. I have more hand blisters/bumps and I have more spots on my face, although you wouldn't know it at a glance. Today it feels like I have blisters all over the bottoms of my feet, although when you look it seems there is nothing there. Overall, this disease sucks! I got it way worse than my daughter, which I am grateful for, but I can't wait for this to pass!

Comment from: RVC 29 years old, (Patient) Published: August 07

I am a 29 year old adult with hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease. My case started with a red bump on my thumb. That night the sides of my tongue became super sore, the next morning mouth ulcers on the sides of my tongue appeared. I still felt ok, no fever but then on day 2, I noticed more sore red bumps appearing on my hands. Worried the bumps were spreading, I saw my local general physician (GP). He diagnosed me with HFM, however at that stage my feet were still ok. One hour after my GP visit, sores on my feet appeared. It is now day 3 and the sores on my hands and feet have turned to blisters. It is painful to walk, but what is worse is the extreme itching. They say HFM is not itchy for children but extremely itchy for adults. The itch is the part that is unbearable.

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)?
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease - Causes Question: What caused your hand, foot, and mouth disease?