Patient Comments: Hand Foot and Mouth Syndrome - Symptoms

What were the symptoms and signs of your hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease?

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

Seven days ago, my 1-year old son was diagnosed with this virus. Five days later, I started having symptoms. His symptoms included sores inside the mouth, bad breath, fever, and a few sores on the corners of his lips. My symptoms are sores on my face, like bad acne, and an occasional headache. Each sore on my face has a small crater on top. All of my sores are below my mouth, and wrap around to include my jawline and neck. It is day four for me, and the sores are irritating but not painful.

Comment from: Mom of Three, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 01

Twenty nine years ago my 3 year old had this and his mouth and throat were so sore and swollen that he could not sleep. He would fall asleep, only to awaken scared to death because he couldn't get his breath and screaming with his sore throat. Ice chips were the best solution to calm him. A no-no at our house, but he slept with me for three nights due to this terrible disease. Told the pediatrician there should be a vaccine for this as it was far worse than chicken pox which my three boys had already had. I am sorry to hear that years later the doctors still don't take this disease seriously considering the pain it causes!

Comment from: Yorkjenn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

My one year old woke up with small red bumps on his chin and a rash on the backs of his legs. This progressed to a red rash in his diaper area and all over his bottom, red sore looking patches on his wrists, hands, ankles, heels and toes. He had a mild fever the first day. It has been 5 days and his rash is starting to fade on his face, but his legs are taking a lot longer to improve. The doctor looked in his mouth yesterday and said he had sores in his throat. I am one of the few adults who got HFM (from my son) and mine started out with a really sore throat that did not improve. 2 days later I woke up with itchy palms that progressed into an irregular red unraised rash, which then turned into blisters. The soles of my feet and toes also became sore and the next day the bumps appeared.

Comment from: mommy, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 13

My 3 year old daughter has been suffering from HFM now for 5 days. her lips look like raw hamburger, her gums are red and swollen, she has spots on her tongue, and her breath is wretched from all the rotten sores! The worst part is the pain! Tylenol and lidocaine mouthwash don't do enough, and we may only be half done! My husband had this a couple years ago, and had a rough time, too; it's nasty stuff!

Comment from: Sufferer, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 07

I'm a 47 year old male into my second day of blisters from HFM. The pain is unbearable, I can't walk, it hurts to type, etc.

Comment from: sabrina, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 22

My 5 year old daughter has a full body rash; lots of pimply looking things. Her doctor said it may be hand, foot and mouth disease. She has no fever and no lesions inside her mouth. She does have a sore throat, and is very itchy.

Comment from: ashleyjay, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 28

My 22 month old contracted hand foot and mouth this week. He started with a fever of 103, and then the next few days developed blister like sores all over his mouth. The scariest part of it all is he was very dehydrated because he refused to drink anything. I finally started getting him to eat popsicles. Chocolate milk helps too. Anything acidic or spicy is too painful. I got him to drink a little gatorade as well. Well it's been a week and he is finally over it and now my four year old has developed a fever a half hour ago. Lovely.

Comment from: nelly, Published: November 02

My sister just lost her baby to hand foot and mouth disease. At 37 weeks she went into labor and had a still born. The doctors determined that the hand foot and mouth disease got into her placenta. PLEASE BE CAREFUL. Doctors don't know the dangers. If you have young children in daycare please protect yourself and your baby. Her doctor say this loss will change policy in hospitals. So sad for our family, but hopeful this knowledge will help save another baby.

Hand Foot and Mouth Syndrome - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease?